Cutting (machining) slotted / drilled brake rotors

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Cutting (machining) slotted / drilled brake rotors

Post by Schurkey »

Any wisdom you can give me about cutting slotted or drilled brake rotors? I never gave it a second thought until someone suggested that the cutting bit skips and jumps whenever it runs over a slot or a hole; leading to a poor finish.

My machine is an ancient Bear; but I can certainly make light passes if that would help. I'm aware of vibration dampening of the rotor and the cutting head--at least that part isn't a problem for me.
nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Re: Cutting (machining) slotted / drilled brake rotors

Post by nickmckinney »

I have heard of people grinding them in a flywheel grinder but never tried it myself.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

They do tend to want to skip a little bit depending on the rigidity of the brake lathe. I have a Winona Van Norman model 204 brake lathe that you can adjust the cutter feed rate as slow or fast as you want. I find that if I slow the feed rate way down to a snails pace it cuts very well. If your lathe has a fixed cutter speed I think light passes (.002"-.003") for the final cut would help.
machinedave
Guru
Guru

Post by machinedave »

I tried grinding a motorcycle rotor on my flywheel grinder because it had to big of an opening for any of my brake lathes centering cones and bells.