amc steering hub/boss

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

amc steering hub/boss

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi everyone, got a bit of an hickup, I recently got an amc hornet wagon, labeled here as an rambler hornet sportabout, anyway, it needs abit tlc, and has a broken steering wheel fitted from an old holden, was forced over the shaft and splines, luckily no damages, but it doesn't sit right or deep enough, now the question, is there another car that uses the same size , here in south africa its like mission impossible finding parts for the older american cars, thanks chevyfreak.
Bowtie for life
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Re: amc steering hub/boss

Post by Jeff Lee »

On my 1970 AMC AMX I have a steering wheel on it from my old 1987 Dodge Daytona. I would guess the splines would be the same in any of that platform.
You could also consult with an aftermarket steering wheel catalog and do some cross referencing. what ever the spline and size, it can't be AMC only.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Hi, thanks, will have a look, what I did find was that if I enlarge the taper section on the holden steering wheel it fits deeper, and I'm gonna check this weekend at a buddy of mine with the one he has got, but sure something should match as you said, will keep updating as I go along, thanks for the reply,
Bowtie for life
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Just an update for any future ref, opel, c10 chevies, don't match, ford cortina english model, almost a fit about 1mm smaller on Id, for now I cut the holden steering wheel, was broken anyway, and made my own boss for universal aftermarket wheel,
Bowtie for life
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Just a heads up if you will.

My '67 1st Gen. Camaro has a hard rubber, fabric filled rag at the rag joint that also has like steel screen wire embedded in it. This combination is VERY tough to bend and is much stronger than the old so-called non-reinforced rubber washer rag joints..

Just watch messing with one because the damned screen wire ends around the outer dia. are like needles and they will stick hell outta you if you aren't careful.. I very carefully used my bench grinder to remove them from its edge all around to keep from getting stuck.

Hope this is of interest??

pdq67