Ball joints

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

circletrack15

Ball joints

Post by circletrack15 »

Hey guys whats up? Iam new to the site and am a first timer as well. My guestion is, when raising the roll center (I have a metric frame car) do I need to make only the lower ball joint as tall as possible or both the upper and lower? I have bought the street stock secrets e-book and love all the great info!!! But Mike did not make it clear for me anyway to do this with both upper and lower or just lower. Iam asuming that only the lower. Sorry if I sound stupid, but Iam learning so PLEASE teach me. Also are there any new updates to this book and or a web site to teach me even more? Thanks Leonard (circletrack15)
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Thanks for joining the forum Leonard. I'll let Michael know about your post.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
MikeLeone
Author & Show Guest
Author & Show Guest

Roll Center

Post by MikeLeone »

Leonard,

The reason for the bigger lower balljoints is to flatten out the lower control arm angle to minimize excessive bumpsteer, camber/caster change. It lets you run a lower frame height without the arms hitting the frame.

You are actually raising the roll center with the taller lower ball joints, but on these cars I don't think you should be trying to think in term of rollcenter. Save that for when you have a car that allows adjustable uppper/lower control arms and a rear panhard bar.

I've never run taller upper ball joints, just did some grinding to keep them from binding up.

Mike
circletrack15

Post by circletrack15 »

Cool!!!! Thanks for the advice. Its awesome knowing that there is someone out there that will take the time to help us new guys understand what,why,and how. This is my first street stock(87 metric car)and am doing everything that you describe from your book. I look forward to pulling on your shirt tail again when Iam stuck. Thanks Mike you are the Man!!!!!!!