Access to GM Specs? ( Steering Gear lube)

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Mattax

Access to GM Specs? ( Steering Gear lube)

Post by Mattax »

Does anyone have access to GM specifications?
At this point I'm pretty curious as to what requirements are called out in GM 4673M.
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Access to GM Specs? ( Steering Gear lube)

Post by pdq67 »

I would go to a Dealer and ask to hold a can/bottle of it so that I could read the info on it.

Hopefully the info would cross reference to The Petroleum Institute, (or whatever it is called), spec's like Gov. "mil" and such?

Sorry, not much help.

pdq67
Mattax

Re: Access to GM Specs? ( Steering Gear lube)

Post by Mattax »

Nice idea, but the labelling is of little help on this. They don't even call out the NLGI grade!

GM 4673M is called out in the service books, some noting its for "recirculating ball", along with the p/n. There's one p/n for most cars and another for Corvettes. It seems the Corvettes got a thicker grade, speculation is that this was due to the heat in the engine compartment.
The one thing the greases have in common is this spec GM 4673M - but what did it specify???

To be fair, one label has an additional code that may be of relevance.
"This multipurpose grease has been formulated for steering gear cavities and other automotive application that specify the use of a lubricant that meets the specifications for the S.S.G. Code number 5073." (on the Corvette only grease)