Caltracs or ladder bars?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

user-612937456

Caltracs or ladder bars?

Post by user-612937456 »

1989 chevy short box regular cab stock suspension 2" drop springs on the front 500 HP peak 6500 rpm 3000-6500 rpm engine flat torque curve 400-425 FT Lbs 4.56 rear diff 27.8 tires with stock leafs overloads removed. To plant the tires and put power to the ground I need advise whether to use Caltracs or a ladder bar with a leaf floater kit. If ladders are optimal can someone give me the proper length for the center of gravity for a short box truck or point me to the formula or tutorial for figuring it thanks guys
Last edited by user-612937456 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
statsystems
Guru
Guru
Re: Caltracs or ladder bars?

Post by statsystems »

If it was me, I would use Cal Tracs or a similar bar such as the Asassin bars and then spend all my money on shocks.
Shocks are your best money spent.
Other than that, use a 4 link.
va454ss

Post by va454ss »

Caltracs or similar. I'm using Slide a link bars, 90 454SS. Best 60 ft so far 1.49 and 11.09 ET.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The Assassin Bars look very interesting. Forget the Ladder bars. Not street friendly.

CalTracs or the Assassin Bars.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Here is why I was considering a ladder bar suspension but still looking for your opinions. It does look kool but ultimately want what is practical for street as well as a weekend warrior kinda build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLdhpT2OM-w
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Might be a stupid thing to say, but what's wrong with the good old-fashioned, "slapper-bars"?

Just make sure that their length are right so that the snubbers, "slap", right in the bottom middle of the front spring eyes, plus are, "gap", adjustable.

Add a pair of, "old-fashioned", coil-over shock, overload springs and then do a Sat afternoon tune to get your vehicle to launch like, "a rabbit outta the cage at the "Dog-Track!"....

Isn't this stuff good for at least 10 second rides if not lower?

pdq67

PS., one last point and that is to set them up so that they are tied down in such a way that they won't, "dig down", in a panic stop... Put a bolted-on loose strap on them to keep this from happening is all, no biggie, but still needed, imho.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

pdq67 wrote:Add a pair of, "old-fashioned", coil-over shock, overload springs
Slapper bars are in consideration but coil-overs and overloads? Wouldn't this defeat the purpose of squat, weight transfer, and hook? if anything logic in my thought process tells me to take leafs out of the spring-pack? With a stiff rebound shock 90/10's
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

How about converting the rear suspension over to a coil spring suspension with lower control arms, a panhard bar and a Torque arm like the Third gen F bodies have.
Add air bags for load and ride height adjustment.
Smoother ride than leaf springs. Rob everything from a old Third gen Camaro onto your rear axle. Aftermarket lower control arms and relocation brackets. coil spring upper pockets (small humps) in the truck bed.

Smooth street ride, great traction . adjustable load and ride height with Air Lift air bags.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You're not going to want a 90-10 shock on a street driven truck.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

What happened with Traction Masters?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I do like, "Hotrods to Hells", truck-arm suspension but it will probably have to be taylored to suit your vehicle?

Might give this a read??

"http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/chassi ... uspension/

Camaro Truck Arm Suspension - Super Chevy Magazine

Our Camaro's suspension has been upgraded with Hotrods to Hell's truck arm suspension, and we admit, the kit made our test Camaro handle like a slot car."

pdq67
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Truck arms was a consideration but I want to keep the truck to a near unaltered kinda sleeper look with a modest 2" suspension drop. including keeping the stock fuel tank which kills the truck arms option
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Caltracs for me, period...they work! Just looked at the Assassin bars, Mmmm... I don't think I would give you a nickel for a junk yard full of them. The front parts look flimsy and ground clearance will be an issue. Street vehicle around 500hp, Caltracs is all you want.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Decision has been made Cal-Tracs have been ordered
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote:Caltracs for me, period...they work! Just looked at the Assassin bars, Mmmm... I don't think I would give you a nickel for a junk yard full of them. The front parts look flimsy and ground clearance will be an issue. Street vehicle around 500hp, Caltracs is all you want.

That's funny because the fastest guys I know are using the Asassin bars because they are not bending the springs. The bars are plenty strong.