Nova Front Coil Spring?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
Nova Front Coil Spring?

Post by econo racer »

My Nova weighs approx 3800 lbs. with me 225 lb. BBC steel head 12 bolt glide.mostly restored interior 6 Point rollbar.frame tied. No fiberglass panels .period. 80 % track. runs on pump gas avg. 6.9-6.8 1/8th. My coil spring on the drivers side looks like it shifted over,making the new ball joint cocked. I played with it on the street and I think I got a 1 foot wheelie then came down hard. Only 60 fts 1.57 ave. I put New 6 cyl springs in front a while back. The car came with ac. They say the springs are different. The big problem is I have no way to scale it to see what springs I need to buy> Big battery in trunk sometimes 2. Full 12 gallon fuel cell. It pulls some to the right doing 100 mph. Car used to ride like Grandmas at 130 mph. :D
tenxal
Expert
Expert
Re: Nova Front Coil Spring?

Post by tenxal »

So....what's the question?
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

OH sorry. Could the spring have came out of its spot? I cannot see anything broken.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Do you have a travel limiter and a rebound snubber?
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

No travel limiter but do have the bottom snubber still there.
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Jack the front of the car up. If the spring is not preloaded and/or guided to prevent it from escaping, it can escape.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

My 1st Gen. Camaro's front coil, "clicked", up top because when I R&R'd it to install BJ's, I didn't get the top spring, "pig-tail", in its correct location.

No biggie, but a pain to do that one a second time.

And fwiw, our bought new '75 Monza 2+2 had a front coil that wasn't seated from the factory right and clicked.

I took it in three times and the first two times, the Tech oiled it and it wouldn't click for like a week!

The last time I got hostile with the Service Writer and told him to pull the A-Arm and install the spring right and if he didn't want to do it, get me a phone and I would call the Regional Manager and get it done! Needless to say it was done right! And as a side note, my classmate was their Parts Guy and I asked him to watch the repair and when I got back, he told me they pulled the A-Arm and fixed it right! He stood behind the counter and watched them because they were in the bay in front of him...

Some fucking people and you pay good money for a new warranted car!!

pdq67