drag race wheel alignment

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
Re: drag race wheel alignment

Post by econo racer »

Sorry for the post above. It was meant for somewhere else. How can I delete it please? Any way This thread makes me think of those street racers on TV. I was thinking about how do they align the front end. If there is a crown in the road. Then they go race somewhere flat. :?
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

af2 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:24 pm
amcenthusiast wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 pm

-when the caster is equal on both sides/both front wheels, the car should 'run straight' down the track when one takes their hands off the steering wheel, not veer off to one side or the other.

(which is an incorrect setting for a car that is street driven; it should gradually veer off the crown of the road in order to avoid a head on collision if someone falls asleep, passes out from listening to the stereo too loud, smokes too much or whatever...)

The next chapter in this booklet would be on four wheel alignment -why not be smarter and check that too?
Totally Disagree! The crown is for water run off period! Proof from a friend that is one of the head engineers for Cal Trans.
That other crap on head on had been around for years and is not the reason for the crown yet some people still believe it.
He only said that the car should veer off the road if one falls asleep, not that the crown was there to cause it. I read that as the car should be set up that way considering that's what he was just talking about in the previous sentence.

What he wrote implies that leaving track settings on a car that is street driven will cause it not to veer of the road like a car with a street-type alignment. Nothing about the crown in the road is there to cause you to veer off the road.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Does anyone have pictures or diagrams showing how to set the alignment like you guys say?