Oval Track Metric Frame Questions

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Racer Roy

Oval Track Metric Frame Questions

Post by Racer Roy »

Hello everyone:
I am a new participant here, and I have a few questions I would like your input on. This sure looks like the place to get answers.
Okay, here goes... I am starting a stock car project using a 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix, 350cid, Turbo 350, mostly stock, 1/4 mile medium bank paved, etc.
I have to replace the engine mounts and would like to use solid mounts as I think they will help transfer power ( no bracing ahead of the roll cage).
I have been told that if I do, I should use a urethane trans mount instead of a solid trans mount. Your thoughts?
Also, most who use an auto trans, use the TH350 in low gear, but I am planning to use a 3.73 rear gear with the trans in second gear. We have to use a "stock appearing" converter, and I am going to use a 2500 stall piece. Is the trans tough enough for this? My only prior auto trans experience was a powerglide in an IMCA mod, which we can't use.
And finally, we can use disc brake rear ends if we like, but I am not sure which one I should get that will fit my car. Is there a good interchange source available? It all has to mount in stock mounts, no 9 inch Ford.
The current rear end has a posi installed, which I have no experience with. Should I be replacing it with a spool, or can a posi be made to work in a class where we must use street tires?
Thank you all for your input.
Please feel free to contribute any suggestions that you feel are relevant.

RR