Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Pad 4 Wheel Scales use

Post by j-c-c »

Two questions:
1. How sensitive are the weights measured realtive to the scales being level?
I mean are we talking a2 lbs or 20 lbs or more with how much off level on say a 3000 car?
Additionally, is it water level the goal, or all the scales on the same plane a more important goal?

2. On the 15" Alum billet scales, if no individual leveling device is part of the system used, it seems tentative to just sit the pretty shiny alum pad bottom directly on a rough concrete surface, and all the resultant abuse it will suffer over time.
Anyone add a layer of thin rubber/surface protector, to also add some grip and protection, and if so, what?
Seems less compressibility the better based on #1 above.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Pad 4 Wheel Scales use

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Most of the good systems can accurately measure weight on an uneven surface. The rugged stuff can accurately weigh in any weather on any surface. It seems like having them all on the same plane is a non-issue. Each operates independently of the others and their weights are used in formulas to find total weight, percentage front/rear, etc...
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I have to partially disagree. As long as the scales individually are level and are level left to right across each axle, a minor difference in front to rear height will cause only an inconsequential error in front to rear percentage, ditto left to right but if one pad, for example the right front, is even 1/8" high, it and the left rear will read too high and the others too low. Especially with stiff springs, the error could be 50# or more when you might be looking to balance to ± 5#.
A good illustration of this sensitivity is to set the car up on the pads, take scale readings then bleed a pound or two of pressure out of one tire and note how the readouts change.
Vinyl tiles make pretty good shims/cushions. If you have a preferred spot, after you've dialed them in once you can mark the locations and code the shims for each.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

Accounting for a slope in the concrete pad, what would you suggest as the easiest way to level the scales?
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I use a digital level (~$50) and a top quality 10' drywall level, but any straight length of square or rectangular tubing will do.
o First I search out the most level available floor space and position the pads so the tires will be well-centered on them.
o Then I check to ensure each pad is level, adjusting with sheet metal if need be.
o Next I lay the tube across two pads and position the level in it's center. (to ensure the inevitable droop is equally distributed)
o I use large thin vinyl tiles and possibly sheet metal pieces to shim the pads as needed to register 0.0° on the level. By way of insurance, check diagonals also.
o I mark the location of each pad on the floor and store each shim stack separately.

There's lots more to getting the corner weights where you want them, way too much for an S-T post, but Google is your friend.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

MadBill wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:42 pm I use a digital level (~$50) and a top quality 10' drywall level, but any straight length of square or rectangular tubing will do.
o First I search out the most level available floor space and position the pads so the tires will be well-centered on them.
o Then I check to ensure each pad is level, adjusting with sheet metal if need be.
o Next I lay the tube across two pads and position the level in it's center. (to ensure the inevitable droop is equally distributed)
o I use large thin vinyl tiles and possibly sheet metal pieces to shim the pads as needed to register 0.0° on the level. By way of insurance, check diagonals also.
o I mark the location of each pad on the floor and store each shim stack separately.

There's lots more to getting the corner weights where you want them, way too much for an S-T post, but Google is your friend.
=D> Exactly why my son and I spent 4 hrs getting the 4 post BendPack dead nut level when you lower it on the stops just so we didn't have to mess with it every time we scale a car.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
dynoflo

Post by dynoflo »

i know this is a older thread but i just got water filled levelers from speedway motors that work great. you will have to put risers on scales because of hoses connecting levelers.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

I have spent many hours attempting to achieve a perfect corner weight balance for a race car.

Then one day I asked myself; what are the corner weights of the car in the middle of a turn, or entering a
turn under braking, or accelerating out of a turn? Or under aerodynamic loading? Or up hill or down hill?

It was then that I realized corner weights are merely a starting point, not an end in it self.
Dynamic weight transfer was the holy grail.