New domain: www.Speed-Talk.com

The forum is currently running on the new domain and server. The old domain will remain active for a short while to forward any (less frequent) visitors.
IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/

Calvert split mono leafsprings?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Calvert split mono leafsprings?

Post by Bob Hollinshead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:42 pm

What's the theory behind the split mono design? is the front half a stiffer spring rate? How do they work?
Pro question poster.

6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Calvert split mono leafsprings?

Post by 6.50camaro » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Not really an expert , but from the research I did they are trying to mimmick the action of a parabolic mono leaf spring , which is tapered having a thicker and stiffer front section to resist wrap -up . There are some advantages to the split spring . One the are easier to make , 2 it is easier the to get the ride height you want by changing the back half of the spring . Different arch or eye position . 3 changing spring rate ,different thickness leaf . 4 is weight of the spring .this I have not really checked. I personally did not buy a set because I already had a set of Landrum parabolic mono leaf springs in the same spring rate that Calvert suggests for my car . Why buy a copy when you have the real thing . These springs (Landrum) have worked great on my car i don't regret not going with the split mono leaf at all. I also use the roller blocks on the rear of the spring but they are from AFCO because Calvert did not have them when I was building my car. Dan

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Re: Calvert split mono leafsprings?

Post by Bob Hollinshead » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks for the info. I've got a 69 Nova that is going together-very nose heavy with an all iron bigblock, tunnel ram, and a heavy 4L80E transmission. The rear wheelwells won't be modified so tire size is going to be limited too... The car is just too clean to tub right now. It's going to be a challenge getting any traction.
Pro question poster.