Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

4130 chromoly tube

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

I have for years manufactured shotgun chokes for competition card shooting (turkey shoots). Recently around six months ago or so I was getting calls about several of my chokes splitting length wise (cracking). Others in this arena have had same issues. There is a builder in Ohio who is spear heading this problem and he has very recently had cracking issues with chokes.In conversation with him today he mentioned that evidently chassis builders of NHRA teams have had issues with tubing failing (cracks). Has anybody on Speed Talk herd of this too?
motormonkey
Re: 4130 chromoly tube

Post by motormonkey »

Is this the Chinese tubing?
Haven't had any problems with US origin tubing .095 1 5/8 .
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

Probably off topic.
Do you do any cryo treatment on your stock?
I guy I know started having his barrels and stuff on his trap guns and others things.
He said it was like night and day. No wear hardly and shot straighter, etc.
Maybe it would help with your problem?

:?:
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

The cryo fad came and went with ''outlaw'' shoots. A batch of bad material has made its way where it should not have. My understanding is its Chinese and then sent a country, re badge and sent to this country as ( ). Cant say to much.... What has made me think of this is John F., I believe in Ohio recently wher his car drifted badly to the left. I heard that inspection found something with the chassis....
motormonkey

Post by motormonkey »

Good you found out the issue.
All the tubing I've used is marked US with all specs on tubing every 3ft. It costs more and won't buy any tube without the marking.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:20 pm I have for years manufactured shotgun chokes for competition card shooting (turkey shoots). Recently around six months ago or so I was getting calls about several of my chokes splitting length wise (cracking). Others in this arena have had same issues. There is a builder in Ohio who is spear heading this problem and he has very recently had cracking issues with chokes.In conversation with him today he mentioned that evidently chassis builders of NHRA teams have had issues with tubing failing (cracks). Has anybody on Speed Talk herd of this too?
The only tube cracking I ever heard about was a decade ago when John's car exploded and they had that whole thing about tubing.

http://www.bmeltd.com/Dragster/tubulartales.htm
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

The easiest method to use for getting tubing you desire is to ask for a copy of the material certs along with the "heat" batch they came from. If tensile, yield and elongation line up with your needs, you're golden. Having a Ryerson catalog and ASTM A513 and A519 specs go a long way in being able to guide a material selection.

When I was in China, Taiwan and Vietnam qualifying vendors for my former employer, 4130 was hard to nearly impossible to come by in China and Taiwan. The Vietnamese have two good shops and turned out very good tubular weldments with outstanding strength and ductility. They were also tight on where they sourced their tubing but it wasn't from west of them.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

The off shore tubing is just plain shit. Its not to north american spec we demand for chassis and other items.
the 4130 condition N tube is the NA aircraft min spec requirements and the tube comes from only 2 steel mills in the US I
know of and it's done in batches as there is a demand for it. Thats right from Raymond Beadle's aircraft standards shop that sponsored winston west cars I was involved with back in the 80's in Wa state.
They did work for lots of the racing industry but raymond beadle had issues getting certain sizes of tube for other projects
and the issue has never changed. To get what you want you must do a mill order and get in line and buy quantity
other wise your stuck with the shit that gets relabeled from china.
Aluminum materials have the same issues
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors