cheap chassis to save drag racing

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Re: cheap chassis to save drag racing

Post by Jeff Lee »

Past engine builder was developing a cheap dragster concept using a V-10 Chrysler engine. It could come from a Viper or truck.
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Use the H.A.M.B. dragster rules as core.
Let them use automatics and EFI.
Have a list of accepted donor vehicles for the drivetrain.
Keep a reasonable e.t. limit. 10 flat for the quarter and 6 for the eight.

This will either end up as a pack of rat rod, steampunk, MadMax looking machines, or it will end up as any other cookie cutter high dollar class.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Where is a picture of the 750 pound aluminum Olds engine dragster? "Underdog"......

The little flyweight that ran upwards to 195 mph in the quarter and gave the big boys with their hemi's fits?

I found it!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/rescued- ... -underdog/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view= ... ist=0&vt=0

Underdog", and to think at one time I had an Olds as well as a Buick 215" aluminum V-8's.

More fun than a bunch a monkeys!!

pdq67
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Bailey Groutage

Post by Bailey Groutage »

I'm pretty young. I like drag racing too. At the end of the day, the transmissions cost more than the engines these days for all of the easily accessible higher power engines. I can build 1000hp with cheap turbos on a nissan v8, easy and cheap. Getting it through a transmission costs more than the car and the engine combined. Then add in a roll cage and safety. It makes other, less strict motorsports seem more accessible.

A lot of people seek awd chassis because the cost of slicks is a lot more than a lot of younger people can afford. I see used slicks for sale by 20 somethings that have 2-3 passes on them all the time.

I do understand that a lot of working young people are idiotic when it comes to finances and have the attention span of gnats.

I meet a lot of people who don't understand that everyone works, saves up and acquires parts of their race car over time. It's just a lot slower for young people who are in the majority, who on average save less than $1000 a year and earn around $15-20k a year.
Bailey Groutage

Post by Bailey Groutage »

I forgot to add, access to a LIFT is hard to come by! Even jobs where you used to be able to work after hours at the shop are removing those privileges because of the fear of LAWSUITS.
bobmc

Post by bobmc »

I had not not thought about the fact that gas stations don't have lifts these days, oil change places don't use them so the lift business must be a third of what it was 40 years ago
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

There are rental garages where you can “rent” lift time or a space in a shop to build or work on your car. As far as the transmission thing goes, not all makes have transmissions like the TH400 that can be built to get a car into the eights for under a grand. I am sure there are some other tough trans out there but being a gm guy that is the one I know.

Heaven knows there are lots of obstacles to cross when it comes to getting on the track. As a guy that has not made a pass in 14 years in a funnycar, and it would be another 2-3 years before I could be back on the track again I get it. I understand as well or even better than others. But I am not going to risk my safety or the safety of someone else just because I want to go fast. Patience and persistence are what is needed.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
chasracer

Post by chasracer »

It's a concept that with a little bit of tailoring might possibly work. The issue becomes can you design a chassis with a variable engine/trans mounting that would allow different drive trains? My thinking here is that SCCA has a class that is a pre-built frame with a replica Cobra body and the entire running train from a Mustang 5.0. The class works and I am sure in it's current form it's much too expensive for most teenagers. But the idea makes sense. Now if you picked a vehicle such as a Mustang or some other vehicle made in the millions and designed the frame so that all of the parts would bolt in, you might have a start on something. Yes, it's a spec class of sorts but maybe quite affordable.

As something a touch different, around here the new, "cheap" bracket car is the Chevy S-10, the GMC equivalent or a Ford Ranger. These have replaced the Camaros, Firebirds and Mustangs as the weapons of choice for a lot of the younger set. As to getting to the track, I think there is a stigma attached to that issue and there shouldn't be. When I first started taking a dedicated racecar to the track, it was on the end of a tow bar being pulled by my go to work car. I remember looking around in envy at all the guys with their open trailers, thinking one day I am going to have one of those. Later on after a 10 year period of raising a family, I got back to the track and this time I had an open trailer - course, I was now parked in a sea of enclosed trailers and thinking the same thing again - one of these days I'll have one of those. My point with all of this is, whether you have to drive, tow with a bar or put it on a open trailer or in an enclosed one - you're at the track - that's the important part and the part that we should encourage every young person to remember. We all get caught up in the gee-whiz nice stuff. Right now I want a Stacker but unless someone hands me one, that's never going to happen.
HiPer Express

Post by HiPer Express »

Drag racing is dying because no one is interested about old 2 valve american V8s and Holleys. Youngsters want turbos, 4 valve heads, overhead cams and other modern technology but the problem is rules dont allow them. And index classes are not racing, young people want to race. Comp Eliminator with some changes to rules would be the only way to get innovation back to drag racing.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

HiPer Express wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:28 am Drag racing is dying because no one is interested about old 2 valve american V8s and Holleys. Youngsters want turbos, 4 valve heads, overhead cams and other modern technology but the problem is rules dont allow them. And index classes are not racing, young people want to race. Comp Eliminator with some changes to rules would be the only way to get innovation back to drag racing.
I hear you, but i've taken a number of young guys under my wing and taught them the basics and they have come to the track a few times. It takes time , money and a mentor. Its hard to get into the sport completely on your own. One friend had never even had a cool car let alone drag raced in his entire life. Now after a few years he has a 78 Lemans with a serious SBC running mid 10's and we will be back halfing it this summer. He takes bracket racing seiously.

I've found that if your first few experiences in the hobby were good. Like your first engine build held together for awhile and would spin the tires and make noise, good chance you are still doing it. If nobody helped you, and you spent tons of money and broke parts and never had any fun, you will be gone and never to return.

Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Google "HAMB dragster"... Or search Jalopyjournal.com
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
bpenrod

Post by bpenrod »

A t-bucket styled altered would be the cheapest way to go in my opinion. I've been gathering parts for a little over a year now, some new, most used. Doing it all myself in my 20'x22' garage. I'll have around $5K in it, including trailer and should run mid to high 9's in the quarter. Not bad for 5k and doing it all myself. Someone said there is no class for certain builds but they bracket race every weekend at a track near you.
blizzardND

Post by blizzardND »

I just stumbled upon this thread.. I think its worth a look..
In a past lifetime, I worked for a kit car company, we made everything from Mercedes big fender cars from the 30's to Hummers and Cobra replicas.

what the OP might be hinting at would be a base frame, designed for a specific set of cheap components, quite possibly a dimensioned print that builders all over the country could replicate, or just order the pre-formed tubes and brackets for local welding.

I would look at the FOX chassis design, proven time after time, tons of aftermarket parts, but better yet, even more second hand parts as the fast guys build their door cars, the OEM parts are sold or discarded.

A tube chassis similar to an altered, with funny car cage ( left side driver position ) using the Fox chassis proven wheelbase. with a factory 8.8 four link, and a mustang Strut front end, power steering rack and brake system could be easily sold for 3500-5K welded up in Mild steel.
a more simplified bigger main tube chassis than the photo below

like our kit car days, sell bolt in motor mounts or engine plates for SBF,SBC,LS, etc. to add ole skool kool to the class, all engines must run cheap zoomies.
radiator factory mustang or could be a cheap dirt track style, same with fuel cell, max tank size 5 gallons. pedal set from mustang, mustang seat mount brackets.

the idea would be, buy a rusted $1500.00 Mustang donor car,( even the V6 would run low 13's ) and assemble donor parts to chassis, and upgrade as one wished.
maybe front clip a cool inexpensive fiberglass molded piece, and all side, roof and deck parts, sheet metal aluminum like the dirt track Mod.

hell, the Yutes could change tires and shocks on it and take it drifting on off weekends..
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

I think what has hurt drag racing the most for the current generation is the lack of rear wheel drive cars throughout the 90's and the EPA. I'm from CA and it's tough to build a fast car on the street and still pass smog. So you either need a 1975 or older car or a dedicated track car. People in their teens and 20's need something they can daily that they can also take to the track. With the current horsepower races going on with the big three I think we will see a resurgence in the near future.

Shows like street outlaws and youtube channels like Street Racing Channel and 1320 video have been re-popularizing the sport around the no prep track surface. I think no prep is going to be a bigger thing in the future as the surface dictates how much horsepower you can put down rather than just your pocket book. That's not to say money still doesn't buy speed but it makes it easier for lower horsepower cars to compete with faster cars to an extent. The tough part about no prep is big tracks don't want to ruin their track for a no prep event if they are having an NHRA event after that. Sanctioned closed roads would be a big help to the no prep world. Give kids somewhere to get the racing out of their system with having to ditch the cops.

I'm going to get back into bracket racing soon after quite a few years off and look forward to getting back to the track a few times a year.