can a truck stop weigh your car

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
can a truck stop weigh your car

Post by econo racer »

I don't have access to any race scales. My Nova is all steel no fiberglass-missing AC equipment and thats it Steel headed 454 powerglide and 6 point bar. sub frame connectors and a moser 12bolt rear 2 batteries and fuel cell in back. yrs. ago it came in 3800 with me being 200 pds. :oops: :shock:
djh61187
Re: can a truck stop weigh your car

Post by djh61187 »

Sure if they will do it for you. I weighed my car that way. I will not give individual weights on all 4 corners. Just a overall weight. Or if the scale operator will do it you could put the front wheels on the scale and then the back to get a idea of front/rear bias.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Find a local circle track racer or tech, they all have access to a proper set of scales. That and a level floor is all you need.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Look up, "Platform scales", to do this.

I think guys have leveled their vehicles at three tires and used a level platform scale at the same level/height to find the weight of the one wheel and then continued around to get all wheels weighed.

Country grain elevators should have at least one handy if you want to find one and ask to use it.

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I built a trailer (actually a few) and had to weigh it in the process of getting license plates for it. A local commercial scale (at a gravel/rock supply) weighed it for me.

Another thought! At the county dump they weigh you and I bet you could get them to do it if you asked nicely at a not-so-busy time.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

They will give you printed axle and gross weights, if you pull your car onto the scales properly, the scale/axle dividers are visible, at no extra charge.

I am not sure of the weight units, I suspect its in 20lb increments, which is fine if at 70K+ lbs.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Our county recycling center has a platform scale. As mentioned a gravel pit will have one. Race teams have them. Truck stops can do it.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

Not accurately. Find a bulk grain company and see if they would weight it for you. I believe they have to be within seven pounds by law. I remember a guy weighing at a sand and gravel pit....off 280 lbs. The car came in at 3150 for IHRA Prostock back in the mid 90's. Caused a BIG problem with the engine builder ''not making power''.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

The CAT scale company guarantees their weights to be accurate or they will pay the fine. You'll see their scales at a thousand truck stops.

All commercial truck scales are certified by state or local govt.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Devildog91

Post by Devildog91 »

Take the car to your local rod shop, custom shop, chassis shop, race shop, whatever is in the area. They will have accurate automotive scales with plates for each corner. They’ll be more than happy to help and I’m sure you’ll be in the $100 range with usable information.
Jackal66

Post by Jackal66 »

I always take mine to a local scrap yard. They will weigh my stuff for free.
Usually I tip them $5. It just a total weight.