packing bearings for spindles

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

HS Nova
Expert
Expert
packing bearings for spindles

Post by HS Nova »

Here is one I can't remember. When packing bearings with grease for new spindles, rotors, and of course bearings. Should grease be stuffed in the rotor cavity or is packing the bearings all that is needed. This is for a 56 chevy. Thanks.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: packing bearings for spindles

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/wheel-b ... cking-101/

See steps 13 and 14.
14-repack-and-replace-wheel-bearings-grease-packing.jpg

13. When it comes to actually packing the bearing, it's pretty simple: Place a good-sized dollop of grease in the palm of one hand and push the bearing into it with the other, rotating and pressing the bearing into the grease several times. Make sure all sides and areas of the bearing are thoroughly immersed in the grease.
15-repack-and-replace-wheel-bearings-greasing-spindle.jpg

14. Next, slip the brake rotor back onto the spindle and liberally spread more wheel bearing grease around the inside of the hub.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
el 56

Post by el 56 »

Thank you sir. It's been so long and I guess I'm getting too old to remember. :lol:
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

I have one of these at the shop but it rarely gets used any more:
https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-too ... ing-packer

At home I just stick them in a plastic bag with a handful of grease and work it in. I have always put some in the cavity in the spindle also.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

BillK wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:27 pm I have one of these at the shop but it rarely gets used any more:
https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-too ... ing-packer

At home I just stick them in a plastic bag with a handful of grease and work it in. I have always put some in the cavity in the spindle also.
Thank u sir. Appreciate the advice.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

With an open taper roller, such as spindle bearings, I just liberally pack the bearing itself and that's it ...... the excess usually finds it's way into the cavity or cap, where it slightly dries out and mostly stays put

If it's not too crusty, it then mostly gets smeared back onto the races during subsequent maintenance ..... I'm sure someone could find fault with this, but I doubt we've not all done it at some time or other :wink:

I've never understood the idea that grease could find it's way back out of the cavity or cap into the bearing of it's own accord, not as would make much difference anyway

Sealed cavity well bearing units specifically designed for oil lubrication, yes ...... but not grease

JMO