05 Silverado parking brake performance.

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
05 Silverado parking brake performance.

Post by dfarr67 »

Installed a complete 2005 Suburban disc system on an older GMT400 4x4- the actual brake performance with hydroboost is good but part of the reason to change was to get away from an older poor performing driveline brake back into a oem parking brake. My work truck is a 2018 Silverado 1500 and the parking brake holds fine. On the GMT400 everything is new so I'm assuming two things- the inner shoes need to mate better to the drum (also new) and a final/ongoing adjustments done, or the GMT400 original footbrake does not have the same leverage as the newer style trucks. I guess what I want to know is...was the GM system adequate assuming a proper maintenance program (I am assuming people didn't service their rear brakes every couple of years) I know they went bake to drums for a bit them back to disks- did any major components change between 2005-2018?
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: 05 Silverado parking brake performance.

Post by dannobee »

Does it have the one piece horseshoe parking brake shoe, or the two piece mini drum brake looking shoes? Either held fine when adjusted properly. The one piece shoes had a problem where the retaining clip didn't have enough tension to hold it in place and would slip down, causing the shoe to wear into the brake rotor hat (parking brake area).
dfarr67
Expert
Expert
Re: 05 Silverado parking brake performance.

Post by dfarr67 »

The retrofit has the one piece shoe. Yes there was some info about the shoe hold down clips update- I have two styles a multi piece clip and a one piece stamped which is the one I installed. I don't like the floating design of the shoe either. Sounds like I need to adjust the shoe again.