Corvette f-gls spring for more

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

agertz1
Corvette f-gls spring for more

Post by agertz1 »

Under 300 lbs, total front sprung weight, reverse trike. Plan is to "narrow", not shorten, a Vette mono-leaf, to lower the spring rate a lot. Leave the ends fat, to accept a bolt-in ball joint at each end, Use a radius rod on each side, to control f./r. thrust. Using the spring, double duty as front axle. Radius rods will have correct angle to produce roll caster-gain. Top control of spindle TBD.
Thoughts ? Thanks, Art.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Corvette f-gls spring for more

Post by PackardV8 »

FWIW, I've used bolt-on spring eyes on Astrovan fiberglas leaf springs on the front of my Studebaker pickup; so far, so good.

On the other hand, you are risking your life and the lives of anyone else on the road on a completely unproven technology.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

Somewhat like a scratch-built car, only this will weigh under 800 lbs. Use my best thoughts. Proceed cautiously and check carefully after initial trial(s). [-o<
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

I'm guessing all the fibers run along the length of the spring so if the spring is narrowed the fibers up by the eyes will simply end in mid air some distance from the spring eyes. The resulting stiffness of the spring might cause some serious stress gradients along the spring.

The bending stiffness is probably fairly linear based on width.
If you want to cut the spring rate in half you will need to make the spring only half as wide.
agertz1

Post by agertz1 »

I suppose with 300 lbs. divided by 2, I could just use rubber under tension or compression. #-o
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

If you contact someplace like Vansteel that sells/makes C3 corvette parts they or the place that makes the springs that they sell might be able to get a custom spring. I know C3 guys have gotten springs a bit narrower/shorter for wide tires and slightly custom rates, as I've herd they will vary a bit so you can request a higher rate one of the batch.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!