Leaf Spring Shock Location

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Leaf Spring Shock Location

Post by BOOT »

I've been trying to research some on shock location for my channel truck project BUCK. I plan to pull the bed and add a fuel cell and a bit of frame stiffening, nothing radical. Also will be lowering the truck at the same time and I see they often use lower shock extenders to correct angle and length.

Belltech also has a top shock relocation brackets to raise and move the shock angle as well. My lowering kit is somewhat incomplete as the prior owner didn't install the shocks or brackets and c notch for the rear, and I don't have them. So I figured I'd just maybe include the upper shock relocation into my frame stiffening. Course for the 88-98 gm 1500 trucks, one shock is in front of the axle.

So where should I put my shocks if I build new mounts, both front or rear or stay the same one F one R?

Doubt I'll go coil over or other anytime soon but I'm not looking for the most ideal setup, I just like to hear what other say. Won't be a drag truck but may take it down the strip or other courses.

Should i add quad shocks or something else while I'm there?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
Re: Leaf Spring Shock Location

Post by rebelrouser »

behind the axle increases the dampening effect of the shock, in front of the axle decreases it. Angled toward the center of the vehicle makes them handle a little better, straight up and down helps with loads, like a stock truck that hauls stuff, and drag applications. At least that is always how I did it, when building something. Some stock vehicles have one in front and one behind the axle, never did understand the engineering behind that placement.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Here's what I did. The OEM shocks are angled forward. I added a second pair vertically behind the axle. Works wonderfully well for me.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

There's some actual math involved here that will help you understand why the factories do what they do.
The angle of the shock determines the "motion ratio" of the shock. Ideally you want one inch of wheel travel to move your shock one inch. Because of packaging it often isn't possible. Your shock won't dampen as much as you hoped. Angling the shocks in at the top reduces the motion ratio. Likewise, moving the shocks inboard at the bottom will also reduce the motion ratio.

The one in front and one in back is done to reduce or eliminate wheel hop, especially on higher powered cars and pickup trucks.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

PackardV8 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:00 am Image
Here's what I did. The OEM shocks are angled forward. I added a second pair vertically behind the axle. Works wonderfully well for me.
I was actually considering quad shocks but couldn't find much on it other than the type like on foxbody mustangs. Might be something that I just have to try after the initial setup.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

dannobee wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:50 pm There's some actual math involved here that will help you understand why the factories do what they do.
The angle of the shock determines the "motion ratio" of the shock. Ideally you want one inch of wheel travel to move your shock one inch. Because of packaging it often isn't possible. Your shock won't dampen as much as you hoped. Angling the shocks in at the top reduces the motion ratio. Likewise, moving the shocks inboard at the bottom will also reduce the motion ratio.

The one in front and one in back is done to reduce or eliminate wheel hop, especially on higher powered cars and pickup trucks.
Yah I found the formula and figured I'd at least move the upper stock mount to correct the factory angle, even found a post on a truck forum where a guy did it when he lowered his truck.

Plus now I'm considering angling them in, I'll figure it out when fitting the fuel cell.

j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

dannobee wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:50 pm There's some actual math involved here that will help you understand why the factories do what they do.

I thought the front rear split shock location, was used in preventing/reducing wheel shock as it balances the shock pairs dampening, in that shocks can often have unequal compression /rebound rates, which the split helps to minimize for wheel hop control.