Drive shaft parking brake solution

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Drive shaft parking brake solution

Post by j-c-c »

So i'm building a rear drive IRS street/track car. I'm ditching the rear wheel rotor internal parking brake set-up. The rear end will be a Quick change. This will NOT be an emergency brake, but for peace of mind when on the street, I would like a parking brake. Drive shaft seems best solution. I'm thinking a 6-8"d Ti solid rotor 3/16" to 1/4", but securely mounting it to the rear yoke area, is my problem. Anyone have any suggestions or seen anything that was simple in a similar application? I'm think a mechanical almost go kart style caliper. Using an existing wheel rotor is not an option for me.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: Drive shaft parking brake solution

Post by miniv8 »

For some inspiration or even parts, check out https://www.tsmmfg.net/
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

GLHS60 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm The rear disc brakes on my Dodge Omni are from a 1988 Daytona.

The parking brake is mechanical activation on the caliper piston.

I wonder if many other calipers use this simple system??

Thanks
Randy
Yeah, Sure, a lot of euro stuff has that.
Just this week, my kid put on rear calipers from a VW on a 9in Ford with Explorer discs. The caliper is aluminum with a smart cable setup for the E-brake.
Op is probably using wilwoods or something even lighter and stronger.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

miniv8 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:47 pm
GLHS60 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm The rear disc brakes on my Dodge Omni are from a 1988 Daytona.

The parking brake is mechanical activation on the caliper piston.

I wonder if many other calipers use this simple system??

Thanks
Randy
Yeah, Sure, a lot of euro stuff has that.
Just this week, my kid put on rear calipers from a VW on a 9in Ford with Explorer discs. The caliper is aluminum with a smart cable setup for the E-brake.
Op is probably using wilwoods or something even lighter and stronger.
Brembo 4 piston
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

miniv8 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:13 pm For some inspiration or even parts, check out https://www.tsmmfg.net/
Thanks, that link was helpful, waiting for their response.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Plenty of cadillacs and corvettes had rear disc brakes with mechanical parking brake levers, so did quite a few camaros, until the late 90's, when they switched to drum-in-rotor parking brakes. Dunno about other makes/models.

Another option that is used in medium duty trucks with hydraulic brakes is a Mico lock. You push on the brake pedal, move the lever, then release the foot brake. It traps the hydraulic pressure in the lines until you release the lever. It's widely used on medium duty trucks, so it does work. Obviously the brake system can't have any leaks, otherwise the pressure bleeds off. When I was working on trucks, they'd hold pressure for weeks or months in normal use, even though they're labeled as a supplement to parking brakes.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i have a turbo 475 transmission from a motorhome that has a E-brake built on to the tail housing. Maybe that is what you are looking for ?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

You just invented a 1955 Studebaker medium duty truck parking brake.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I'm pulling the plug on this solution, mainly due to the needed diameter of the DS mounted rotor ,would decrease ground clearance too
much, because of the low pinion height of a QC.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

depending on your weight, gear ratio and tire size, you don't need a whole lot of braking force to stay stationary.
I had a full size 1976 Range Rover on 38in tires with a tiny drum brake on the rear driveshaft, most of the time, it had more stopping power than the 4wheel discs

For a small light competition car, that isn't relying on it in the hills of SanFran, a disc and a caliper from a mountain bike might just be enough. They have all sorts of hub pattern that can be made to fit a driveshaft.
They retract allright, as nobody rides a bike for long with dragging brakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

The main problem is here is the QC pinion is approx 2.75" above the bot of the rear end housing, meaning any rotor larger then 5.75" would hang down and be very exposed and venerable to road debris. With me as a driver and off road excursions as I exceed my skill set, the rotor might not fare well. Additionally, to connect to the yoke, the inside rotor dia likely would need to be approx 4", leaving little over .75" caliper clamp surface. I am not convinced at this time with these constrictions I will end up with a suitable solution. And I think your reference to utilizing the rear end ratio to aid in my ultimate parking brake force, was the original plan.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Dovetailing on my earlier recommendation to use a Mico Lock, I see Speedway sells a Park-Lok that serves the same function.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway ... gIG0PD_BwE

It wouldn't qualify as a "parking brake" per se, but they can and do hold the car for extended periods of time.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Yeah a valve to hold applied pressure is brilliant. It needs looking after like anything else, but the rulebook has the final say, race or street.

I have never seen these drive shaft brakes on the pinion, it has always been on the transfer case on 4x4's with the driveshaft having a splined slip yoke.
If you are using a Powerglide, Mark Williams makes a solid flange setup for the shorty version.
unnamed.jpg

The Rockwell housings have the pinion brake, but that's just something I see on TV.. haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.