Mustang Body Roll

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

82'mustang

Mustang Body Roll

Post by 82'mustang »

Wondering what to do with a '82 Fox body Mustang to to prevent chassis roll. The car has sub frame connectors and anti roll bar, coil over shocks in the back. It's hard too see but the rear end is perpendicular with the body and the left coil spring is stretched way out. I can almost see the left tire unload when standing on the line and the driver takes off. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racer71
Pro
Pro
Re: Mustang Body Roll

Post by Racer71 »

Does it have coil overs on the rear or stick spring location? May have to stagger spring rates. Stock suspension pick-up points and control arm style? My fox would bury the rr until I put a heavy chromoly anti roll bar in the rear. Is the front end low or normal ride height, May lower it some
82'mustang

Post by 82'mustang »

Coil springs on the rear. 4 link style rear suspension, 2" dropped front spindes. Stock pick up points on the suspension. Tubular control arms
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

i higher rate anti roll bar, or put more preload into it.
82'mustang

Post by 82'mustang »

Thanks for the replies. we have also decided to cut out the stock torque boxes.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

So with the Op's attached pic, what is the effective concern here, the look? Because a sway bar may level the car on take off, but its not going to even out the torque reaction, meaning the tires will retain the same loading, even when looking a bit more level on launch. Pre load, staggered coil rates are a different matter. The goal for maximum overall traction would be ideally an exact 50% split between L/R tires, and that is seldom achievable at all times in the real world. If the car is rolling so much that tire contact is impacted, that is then a worthy goal to correct. Am I missing something here?
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

Oftentimes it is the question of wasted energy, how much are you willing to spend?
A car that can turn its efforts going forward instead of attempting to scrape its side mirrors, will be faster.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

miniv8 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:41 pm Oftentimes it is the question of wasted energy, how much are you willing to spend?
A car that can turn its efforts going forward instead of attempting to scrape its side mirrors, will be faster.
that, and twisting up a car like that is very hard on everything. metal only flexes so many times before things crack and break.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I'm doubting how much effective real "twist" is imparted into chassis once front wheels are airborne, regardless of how intense it looks.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

j-c-c wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:14 pm I'm doubting how much effective real "twist" is imparted into chassis once front wheels are airborne, regardless of how intense it looks.
you could ask my brother. his 67 c-10 used to launch like the chev in the picture above. he didnt think it was too funny when he couldnt turn off the dragstrip because that twisting broke his steering rack off the frame. when 2 wheels are in the air, and one is feet higher than the other, that is a lot of twist, and stress imparted throughout the chassis. if we had a laser pointer, we could show you where one wheel is way higher than the other....
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

But that is front engine torgue induced twist with the front wheels lifted, that isn't changed as I understand it by what the rear end does in roll, meaning the force is the same.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

j-c-c wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:05 pm But that is front engine torgue induced twist with the front wheels lifted, that isn't changed as I understand it by what the rear end does in roll, meaning the force is the same.
The force is the same, but it is a force that is not putting the car forward. We could also address the safety aspect of a single front wheel take offs and landings.

We can talk about stiffening the chassis trough and through, some of the stiffening will lessen body roll and some of it will reduce chassis twist.
It is the body roll that we can see, It is visible and we know the car will perform better without it, regardless how cool it is.
The body/frame twist is something we can't see with the naked eye, it will eventually keep the doors from closing properly, and the trunk lid from fitting the rear bodywork.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

j-c-c wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:05 pm But that is front engine torgue induced twist with the front wheels lifted, that isn't changed as I understand it by what the rear end does in roll, meaning the force is the same.
no it is not.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

So that settles it? :shock:
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

yes, because like the old saying goes. you can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink. you already think you know it all, so there is no point in further discussion. :roll: