Fuel Cell dipstick possible safety hazard?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Fuel Cell dipstick possible safety hazard?

Post by j-c-c »

Seems a little counter intuitive to have a fuel cell for safety and then use effectively a full length thin metal spike screwed into the container as a fuel check device. Being most metal containers are relatively thin gauge, and the tank is purposely? flexible for safety in a collision, it would seem any possible puncture might initially be caused by the dipstick. Never heard of this, but if a fire was the result, there would be little left to indicate the real origins. Maybe a flexible non metal dipstick would remove this potential concern?
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: Fuel Cell dipstick possible safety hazard?

Post by dannobee »

We always used a wooden stick. Start with an empty cell, then add a gallon at a time and mark the stick. And after a few races you pretty much know how much fuel it'll use for each lap and the stick just verifies what you already knew.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

We use an electronic fuel level sensor with data fed into the data logger.

It helps a lot with endurance racing where fuel consumption is important and refueling pitstops
are critical.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

All my fuel cell cars have electric level sensors installed, but I'm a firm believer in the pilot tried and true fuel tank level check method of sticking the tank. I like the convenience of not having to energize the car and view the dash to quickly check available fuel. I agree readability is not optimum with metal sticks, and I prefer not to have to keep track of a separate stick for measurement.

I think on this post so far, my main concern has been overlooked, the potential problem of a internal metal stick nearly touching the bottom of the fuel cell full time, and any potential dangers it might cause in a shunt.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

j-c-c wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:09 am All my fuel cell cars have electric level sensors installed, but I'm a firm believer in the pilot tried and true fuel tank level check method of sticking the tank. I like the convenience of not having to energize the car and view the dash to quickly check available fuel. I agree readability is not optimum with metal sticks, and I prefer not to have to keep track of a separate stick for measurement.

I think on this post so far, my main concern has been overlooked, the potential problem of a internal metal stick nearly touching the bottom of the fuel cell full time, and any potential dangers it might cause in a shunt.
Why not remove the dip stick when not being used and plugging the orifice?

Isn't it a bit hard to stick the cell while on the track? :)
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Can you have the dipstick go in at an angle so if the tank is partially crushed the stick will bend instead of the tip digging in and causing a puncture? Even put a bend or curve in the bottom inch or two of the stick to help it deflect if needed. You could also make the entire stick gently curved and keep the inlet fitting vertical. Just make sure that there is a enough distance between the end of the stick and whatever side of the fuel cell the tip is "aimed" at.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

I have never seen a metal fuel checking contraption as you describe.

we use a wooden stick for the methanol and alcohol, race gas can be easily seen and the level estimated, stationary of course.

The aviation market is full of solutions if this is something you want to glance at without pulling the cell open.

A quick search of "Mechanical fuel level gauge" had a lot of interesting results.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

ijames wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:39 am Can you have the dipstick go in at an angle so if the tank is partially crushed the stick will bend instead of the tip digging in and causing a puncture? Even put a bend or curve in the bottom inch or two of the stick to help it deflect if needed. You could also make the entire stick gently curved and keep the inlet fitting vertical. Just make sure that there is a enough distance between the end of the stick and whatever side of the fuel cell the tip is "aimed" at.
Both of those solutions you suggest, would IMO greatly reduce the potential problem, and be simple.

However at this time, i'm likely just going to use a non metallic bendable rod, making it not shed attached fuel upon removal is the main hurdle to overcome.

Anybody want to post a pic of the many available cut to length fuel level checkers even found at Summit, might help others visualize the situation.

On the idea of removing the checker and capping, that would work, but just adds one more detail to keep track of at the track.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

I thought about suggesting a spring as the dipstick, something like a screen door spring just stiff enough to be held horizontally, but then I realized that it would probably be flexing with every lateral move so early wear and always stirring the fuel. I don't know how stiff the material you are considering is but at least take a look. Oh, can you press in a small checkerboard pattern along the length? I've seen several oil and trans fluid dipsticks with cross-hatching from the full line down to the tip and it really seems to make the dipstick hold onto a lot more fluid, making reading the level easier. Hmm, wonder if rolling a knurling wheel on it while the stick is flat on a bench would do it? Maybe knurl a deep pattern then sand it a bit to take off the sharp points.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Yea, I like the ideas to build surface tension =D>
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I have always used a yardstick otherwise known as a.Model T gas gauge.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

I thought I remember years back seeing first hand the typical fuel cell alum dipstick solution that is the point of this thread.

So I last week ordered one, and felt I could add a bendable/flexible element to the stick and negate any of the potential fuel cell piercing concerns I had.

It arrived today, it has a flexible plastic measuring stick. #-o

Sorry, guess nobody else here has used one recently either? :wink:
Momus
Pro
Pro

Post by Momus »

Use a wooden dowell- it's like the Russian space pen.