C2 Corvette front nose question

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

bill k
C2 Corvette front nose question

Post by bill k »

I purchased a 1966 Corvette that was partially disassembled back in 1975. I have all of the parts. The headlight assemblies, grill, front bumpers, and nose support rods were all removed. The car was stored outdoors in NJ for all of that time under a blue tarp. I stripped the paint from the car and began refitting all of the body parts to check for correct fitment. The headlight buckets are back in the car and I can see when viewed from the front that the front nose has sagged badly. This has caused the front peak body line to be off badly. I attempted to install the nose support rods but I fear breaking the nose from pulling up the nose to get the bolts into the core support and side brace for each bucket. I believe the fiberglass has taken a permanent set, sagged down. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can safely remedy this body problems. Any suggestions are welcomed. TIA Bill
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: C2 Corvette front nose question

Post by dannobee »

Are you sure that the body shims near the radiator support have been installed? It's been literally decades since I've had one of these cars apart, but I do remember they used a LOT of body shims. A LOT.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: C2 Corvette front nose question

Post by PackardV8 »

The condition you experience is well known among Corvette restorers. Buying a basket case or buying parts long separated from their original home is fraught with wandering fiberglass.

One guy I know claims to have had success with the careful application of a heat gun; keep it moving and keep the temperature below that which will bubble the paint. One guy operates the heat gun and one or two more guide the panel to move where it needs to go. Sometimes a spacer has to be used under the high mounting point so the panel can move beyond the desired final shape to allow for some spring back. Then, the spacer is removed. Your opinions and results may vary.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering