Brake Caliper Position

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

madmooney

Brake Caliper Position

Post by madmooney »

Why can you not mount disc brake calipers at 6:00 on the disk ? I can see bleeding and possible debris issues but don't know
about any others. It's an explorer 8.8 in a LUV. I have interference at the leaf spring and frame rails and under the leafs is
the only place they will fit.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Brake Caliper Position

Post by hoodeng »

Brake calipers are mounted typically at 2-3oclock, as this position gives the best protection from thrown up debris off the road [as you have noted] and drag by damage to plumbing and fittings.

Cheers.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

There's nothing wrong with mounting it at 6, as long as you are aware of the issues Hoodeng noted.
It will have the same torsional effect on the chassis.

Perhaps fab up a guard, to lessen the chance of a rock tearing off your brake line coming off the caliper.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
rodymanners

Post by rodymanners »

madmooney wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:30 am Why can you not mount disc brake calipers at 6:00 on the disk ? I can see bleeding and possible debris issues but don't know
about any others. It's an explorer 8.8 in a LUV. I have interference at the leaf spring and frame rails and under the leafs is
Disc brake designers classify the caliper mounting position on the rotor as either "leading" (forward or ahead of the spindle or axle centerline) or "trailing" (rearward or behind the spindle or axle centerline).
rodymanners

Post by rodymanners »

madmooney wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:30 am Why can you not mount disc brake calipers at 6:00 on the disk ? I can see bleeding and possible debris issues but don't know
You can go to summitracing.com or alibaba express you will find very interesting deals from there until if you like to see the product by eye before you buy
rodymanners

Post by rodymanners »

rodymanners wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:26 am
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1
You can go to summitracing.com or alibaba express you will find very interesting deals from there until if you like to see the product by eye before you buy
this is the most easiest way