NHRA Street Roaster Roll Cage

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

NHRA Street Roaster Roll Cage

Post by frnkeore »

I just got a Austin Healey kit car, mostly assembled and want to run it at our local NHRA track. In the rule book, the Street Roadster cage seems (at least to me) hard to understand and define. The Altered cage, is a little more straight forward but, some things aren't described (to my satisfaction) and the load paths don't seem to jive for me. I'm a old SCCA racer and their rules, although not allowed in NHRA, are more specific, defined and the load path makes more since, engineering wise. I expect this car to run, at least low 10's.

Is there anyone (NHRA tech guy) that can walk me threw this so, I'm not turned back at the track, getting certified?

Oh ya, I have to have room for a passengers seat.

This is the car and a interior shot, with dimensions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ks Fats
Pro
Pro
Re: NHRA Street Roaster Roll Cage

Post by Ks Fats »

Frank, Brad Halvorsen in Madras Or. 541-788-0861 is a division 6 chassis inspector; should be able to clear up any questions you have.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

KS, thank you, very much. I'll give him a call.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Got my answer. He's going to be at the drag strip Mar 19 and look at my car.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

For any others that have this problem, you can run the Summit & Lucas series in a roadster with a roll bar, if you don't break out of the 10's.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

Looks like a great project. What engine, trans, & axle will you be running?
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

The plan, right now is to make it a switch engine car, to double as my dyno.

It is made to take a SBF and I have a 306, 8k rpm engine for that. I'm also in the process of building a 412 ci, FE engine (4.15 x 3.81) 333 cfm TFS heads and TR intake with twin, 4150, 660 cfm carbs.

I have 3 intakes to test on the 306, AFR head engine, Victor, Super Victor and a Holley 300-274 TR.

Trans is not settled yet, it will be either a 4 speed or a C4. There are C4 to FE adapters. Not cheap though. Well NOTHING cheap!!! But me #-o

Rear end will be a 9" @ 52" wide and Center Line 14" wide wheels.

Regarding my above assertion that I can run a roll bar. I looked at the 2022 rule book yesterday and the way it looked to me, is that I can only run 11.00 with a roll bar.

I'm going to have to wait until the 19th to go over it with the car there, to be sure.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Up date:
I forget to get back to this thread. I took the car to the NHRA inspection, on the 19th of March and the inspector, WILL certify it for 10.00 with a roll bar.