5/8 wheel stud shoulder

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

70MC
Pro
Pro

5/8 wheel stud shoulder

Post by 70MC »

I am using Strange 5/8 wheel studs. I need to run a .200 thick spacer to move my slick away from my frame (giving me 1/2 inch) which will cause the shoulder of my stud to be .100 short in order for my rim to completely ride on the shoulder. My rim thickness is .890 and I will have .790 riding on the shoulder, I have plenty of threads left after the spacer and nut is on. I dont think this will be a problem, but thought I would ask to see what others thought?
A bad day of racing is better than a good day of work
Momus
Pro
Pro
Re: 5/8 wheel stud shoulder

Post by Momus »

How did you get on?
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

Momus wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:30 am How did you get on?
I logged in.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Get wheels with the correct back spacing?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

They wont make them in 1/4 increments.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Different/longer shouldered studs available?
I think most of the holding is in the flat surfaces that are torqued down, like a woodruff keyed front pully, key locates but does little holding.
Keep a check on the torque AND any sign of fretting of hub, spacer and wheel. Torque in a pattern and 2 or more steps.

Good luck.
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

allencr267 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:19 am Different/longer shouldered studs available?
I think most of the holding is in the flat surfaces that are torqued down, like a woodruff keyed front pully, key locates but does little holding.
Keep a check on the torque AND any sign of fretting of hub, spacer and wheel. Torque in a pattern and 2 or more steps.

Good luck.
A friend put some perspective into it by comparing it to a conical wheel and lug. He said how much contact do you have with the lug and wheel with 60 degree conical type, maybe .100? And a conical wheel and stud is smaller than 5/8 diameter.
I worry about most small things, because I have been surprised a time or two. But I really do not think it will be a problem, was hoping to find someone that has done it and was ok for some reassurance.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

The shank of the stud should not be contacting the wheel anyway, it should be floating in the hole. only the lug nut should be touching the wheel.
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

modok wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:57 am The shank of the stud should not be contacting the wheel anyway, it should be floating in the hole. only the lug nut should be touching the wheel.
No, not with 5/8 studs. The wheel sits in the shank part of the wheel stud. On a 5/8 stud there is a part, a very long part where there is no threads, that the wheel sits on, this shank will extend through the wheel which means you have to use a spacer, the stud kit comes with spacers that goes on next then a nut. In the 5/8 case the nut IS A NUT, not a lug nut.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Does not seem like a good design to me, weaker, heavier, and requires tighter tolerances, and likely to have the problem you are having.
So, must be beyond my understanding. Sorry.
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

modok wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:24 am Does not seem like a good design to me, weaker, heavier, and requires tighter tolerances, and likely to have the problem you are having.
The design is heavier, and the tolerance is tight since it requires wheels that are lug eccentric, but they are very very strong, and once you see them are easy to understand. They are different than what I was use to also.
54chevkiwi
Pro
Pro

Post by 54chevkiwi »

Any chance you could post a pic of what you got goin on?
70MC
Pro
Pro

Post by 70MC »

54chevkiwi wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:43 pm Any chance you could post a pic of what you got goin on?
I took a pic with my phone, but is is not real easy to see what I want to show, and I have no idea how to post a pic. But I feel real sure I am fine. Thank you for wanting to help.
dvw

Post by dvw »

I ran mine with the shoulder recessed all last year. 100 passes with 1.2x 60ft. Not ideal as the spacer/washers are sloppy on the threaded portion of the stud. I was using a pair of spare wheels with new ones on order. At the end of the year both the wheels and studs are fine. Long term I'd get longer studs.
Doug
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

modok wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:24 am Does not seem like a good design to me, weaker, heavier, and requires tighter tolerances, and likely to have the problem you are having.

Diagram of what the OP was referring too.
https://markwilliams.com/images/cache/D ... ls.600.jpg
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine