What a difference shocks make

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

1980RS
Guru
Guru
What a difference shocks make

Post by 1980RS »

So this past year was the 1st time I got to run my Moroso trick springs in the front of my car. I ran my old 3 way CE shocks set on a couple of settings and the car with my BBC responded with a very good 1.50 60ft. time. Just this past month I was able to get the Calvert 90-10 shocks in the car and the front does lift better but the car still fall back down way too fast. Next came the newly acquired QA1 single adjustable shocks I got from a friend for a song and dang they are so much better than anything I put in the car so far. When you lift the front fender the car stays up a lot longer. I can only imagine how much better an Afco or Viking shocks are. Best part is, I know the owner of QA1 and also the racer that does Fast Shocks Randy Mans, both of these guys are good friends that are always willing to help a fellow racer.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: What a difference shocks make

Post by mt-engines »

It sure is.. went from Strange rear shock to Menscers was night and day.

1.076 60 Strange
1.032 60 Menscer

Car didn't leave as violent and felt smooth all the way down the track. Was very surprised.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1980RS wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:40 pm So this past year was the 1st time I got to run my Moroso trick springs in the front of my car. I ran my old 3 way CE shocks set on a couple of settings and the car with my BBC responded with a very good 1.50 60ft. time. Just this past month I was able to get the Calvert 90-10 shocks in the car and the front does lift better but the car still fall back down way too fast. Next came the newly acquired QA1 single adjustable shocks I got from a friend for a song and dang they are so much better than anything I put in the car so far. When you lift the front fender the car stays up a lot longer. I can only imagine how much better an Afco or Viking shocks are. Best part is, I know the owner of QA1 and also the racer that does Fast Shocks Randy Mans, both of these guys are good friends that are always willing to help a fellow racer.
Bob,
Your camaro and my car are the same suspension setup as far as leaf spring rear,steering box,control arm front.
I am trying more to keep front down and focus on suspension/ body separation via caltracs/ leafsprings.
As you know my car went 1.46 in the 60ft on radials, full street trim ,no transbrake etc.
I don't have mono leaf but will be going that direction next year,I have seen video of my car lifting front up to fast and then unloading rear tyres and spinning.
At the moment I am tight extension on front,loose on rear shocks, 1 full turn pre- load on caltracs.
I think on a good track with prep would go low 1.4.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I have ViKing DA shocks for four of my cars and some QA1, Strange
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
ChopperScott
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ChopperScott »

Thanks for the reminder. My Camaro is back-halved, but still has the stock front subframe and suspension. I recently installed a set of double adjustable Viking Crusader coil-overs out back, but still have a 20-year-old set of Koni SPA1 drag shocks up front. Time to give Mike at Viking a call.
'73 Camaro Z/28 NETO/N
434 SBC 11:1, 1.294, 6.178 @ 108.87, 9.81 @ 134.93 (3060#, Naturally Aspirated, Sunoco Ultra 94)
Chopper Air Port 917-589-1278
Nikolas Ojala
Pro
Pro

Post by Nikolas Ojala »

Is it possible to save weight by using hydropneumatic instead of coil springs?
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
– Colin Chapman, design engineer, inventor, and founder of Lotus Cars
Nikolas Ojala
Pro
Pro

Lightweight Innovative Flexible Technology

Post by Nikolas Ojala »

What do you think about this suspension design?

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-p ... r-dampers/
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
– Colin Chapman, design engineer, inventor, and founder of Lotus Cars
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

I ve always suspected f1 of using a suspension like that.