Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

"Masters Of Motors" class rules released

Post by Walter R. Malik »

It seems the LS class has rules which support seeing some "garage builders" this year as at 388 cubic inches and only GM 15 degree heads with contest supplied headers, the really only "open" rule is the intake system.

The "Early Iron" rules raised the compression ratio to 11.5/1 with maximum 2", (no step), catalog headers and only catalog oil pans having no power kick-outs.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Re: "Masters Of Motors" class rules released

Post by RAMM »

Are you entering Randy? J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

RAMM wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:38 pm Are you entering Randy? J.Rob
Already sent my entry to Lonnie for "ARP Early Iron" class.
Small block Chevrolet 327/275 from 1966.

I think a 340 Mopar might have a good chance but, I don't already own one. :)
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:34 pm
RAMM wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:38 pm Are you entering Randy? J.Rob
Already sent my entry to Lonnie for "ARP Early Iron" class.
Small block Chevrolet 327/275 from 1966.

I think a 340 Mopar might have a good chance but, I don't already own one. :)
Awesome Randy, awesome.

I too believe a 340 Mopar could crush it--and that is what I intend to enter. I hope I'm accepted because I kind of screwed up last year.

Long story short--I was accepted with a 413 Mopar--lost cylinder head sponsorship--had a backup engine (340 Mopar that Adger worked hard to get accepted at the last minute) Changed careers--bought the machine shop that I managed--sold the 340 at the last minute for a significant amount and now am paying for the machine shop and working the other job still. I hope to be accepted because this time we are coming set on kill.

p.s I see a few rules that could present problems.

J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Has anyone gotten any answers back from the "Questions" folks at Masters of Motors(MOM) or JE Pistons? Just wondering, I sent in 7 questions, and haven't heard a single word or answered e-mail from them. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:18 am Has anyone gotten any answers back from the "Questions" folks at Masters of Motors(MOM) or JE Pistons? Just wondering, I sent in 7 questions, and haven't heard a single word or answered e-mail from them. Joe-71
There has been one rule addition which I know about and that is "no DE-bored" engines.
The SMALLEST a bore can be is the standard bore for the engine size being claimed.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

That was one of my questions. Sure would be nice to have someone answering the questions so that those of us contemplating a build could order pistons, oil pans, headers, etc. Several issues with the rules need to be clarified. Joe-71
Joe-71
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Joe-71 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:31 pm That was one of my questions. Sure would be nice to have someone answering the questions so that those of us contemplating a build could order pistons, oil pans, headers, etc. Several issues with the rules need to be clarified. Joe-71
We could make room for another SBC or SBF in our Classic Rivals class and we answer questions on the spot or within 24 hours.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:13 am
Joe-71 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:18 am Has anyone gotten any answers back from the "Questions" folks at Masters of Motors(MOM) or JE Pistons? Just wondering, I sent in 7 questions, and haven't heard a single word or answered e-mail from them. Joe-71
There has been one rule addition which I know about and that is "no DE-bored" engines.
The SMALLEST a bore can be is the standard bore for the engine size being claimed.
Please tell me when, "de-boring", an engine would help?

Or is it just a way to make a, "too big", a stock block engine fit a class?

pdq67
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Some folks think that a given iron head has limited flow capabilities at a given cubic inch, so if you install sleeves to reduce the cubic inches, the heads then work better in a hp/ci scenario. Last year's EMC had a 429 that had sleeves installed for a total of 409 cubic inches. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

pdq67 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:58 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:13 am
Please tell me when, "de-boring", an engine would help?

Or is it just a way to make a, "too big", a stock block engine fit a class?

pdq67
It's pretty simple when you know what you're dealing with ...
The rules have said you can't change the stroke for the engine claimed ... power is limited by the allowed O.E.M. cylinder head ... there is a cubic inch divider as part of the final score ...
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

The real issue was bore +.065" maximum, but nothing stated bore minus anything. Most of us understood that the basis for the build started with the stock bore, and you were allowed anything larger up to +.065" overbore. The stroke could change +.015" max, and that was understood, not -.015". The rules are killing the competition because of the ways folks try to twist everything to their advantage, IMO. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:29 pm The real issue was bore +.065" maximum, but nothing stated bore minus anything. Most of us understood that the basis for the build started with the stock bore, and you were allowed anything larger up to +.065" overbore. The stroke could change +.015" max, and that was understood, not -.015". The rules are killing the competition because of the ways folks try to twist everything to their advantage, IMO. Joe-71
So, in your view, there should be a penalty paid for being more creative than others when doing something "not illegal" yet it benefits your entry ...?

That is absolutely ludicrous.

Last year they allowed "up to +.065" overbore" and never wrote anything about needing to be "larger" or mentioning any minimum.

A crankshaft having .015" stroke change means exactly as written, not +.015" ... if you wish to make your stroke shorter for a perceive advantage, go right ahead; until they change that written rule to be against it.

A rules package for a competition should leave nothing to be understood; it is not what is meant but, what is actually written. Creative people with intelligence seem to find those loopholes that the ordinary mind can't even envision. Including some rules writers.

The rules may truly be detrimental to the entries from unimaginative minded contestants.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

What part of "maximum over bore" do you not understand? Nothing to do with imagination. You start with standard bore, and are allowed up to +.065". I am not going to argue with you. Joe-71
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:11 pm What part of "maximum over bore" do you not understand? Nothing to do with imagination. You start with standard bore, and are allowed up to +.065". I am not going to argue with you. Joe-71
You have no real argument because what you claim is just not written there.
It never said the "bore" is limited to ... the sentence actually reads ... "Overbore" is limited to no larger than .065" for the 1968 or earlier engine being claimed. (Now that rule is being changed for this year).

"Bore" & "Overbore" are two different words with two entirely different meanings. You're "understandings" are not actually there.

You're simply upset that somebody read a rule "literally" and you weren't aware enough to take advantage of it yourself.
Although he did not finish very high, I congratulate his forethought of reading the rule "exactly" as it was written.
Just sour grapes by you, as i see it.