Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Whitewater Racer
Pro
Pro

Doesn't This Seem Counterintuitive?

Post by Whitewater Racer »

C.A.R.S. program-also designed to help the environment. Isn't recycling one of the most effective ways to reduce consumption, waste and ????

The following is the procedure to disable the engine in the so called "clunkers". Some clever "entrepeneur" is going to find a way to get these into the pipeline. Can't wait to get the opportunity to try and fix one of these........

How To Use Sodium Silicate
Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program
Taken from Page 127 in the NHTSA Final Rule

THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER

THESE STEPS ARE FOR PARTICPATING CARS DEALERS ONLY

Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine.

1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate (SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.)

2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal.

3. Install the oil drain plug.

4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the vehicle to the desired area for disablement.

5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which should be sufficient in most cases.

CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin.

6. Replace the oil fill cap.

7. Start the engine.

8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.)

9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour.

10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully charged battery, attempt to start the engine.

11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete.

12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no longer idle.

13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following:

This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil.
14. File this document in the file for the new vehicle purchase.
-Gary Labrum
Wilder, ID

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the Thrill of SPEED overcomes the FEAR of DEATH!"
BLACK BART
Pro
Pro

Post by BLACK BART »

Gary, that seems like such a waste to me as well. I still think environmentally it's got to be better to fix a car than replace it. Monetarily, most of those cars could be clean running and in continued service for a fraction of the investment their owners will put into a new car.

What do they do with them after they render them inoperative??? CJ
Arguing with someone on the Internet is like participating in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you are still retarded!
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

BLACK BART wrote:Gary, that seems like such a waste to me as well. I still think environmentally it's got to be better to fix a car than replace it. Monetarily, most of those cars could be clean running and in continued service for a fraction of the investment their owners will put into a new car.

What do they do with them after they render them inoperative??? CJ
Try to get the enviro types to realize that the cost (environmentally) of building a new car is more than that of reconditioning an older car it like trying to pound a turd through a board. Their mentality is that a shiny new car is so much more "green" than any older car (or better yet, SUV).

Then there is the fact that many, many perfectly good vehicles have been taken off the market. Cars that were affordable to those who have been out of work or have had their earning power compromised by the economy. Those vehicles that have survived this silliness will now cost more. How does THAT help?

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Why, when I have to smog the Tahoe with 160,000 miles does it get less than the # they give by a whole bunch??
Bought a 97 Dodge Van last month and the thing passed with unbelievable #'s.
You have to have a pretty messed up vehicle with obd2 to not pass with flying colors!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Engguy
Guru
Guru
Post by Engguy »

It sounds like a Gore tactic. He hates IC engines. I just wish they would do that with the gas guzzling jets too.

Its also typical, as it seems the only cars and trucks on the list are ones that someday will be worth or are worth way more than the clunker cash deal is paying for them. I can't imagine someone trading in a $10,000 BMW for that $4500.
Ken
Post by Ken »

I'm glad I'm not in the salvage business. An engine that doesn't turn over would make it a nasty job to get all the torque converter bolts out to sell a used trans.
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

Ken wrote:I'm glad I'm not in the salvage business. An engine that doesn't turn over would make it a nasty job to get all the torque converter bolts out to sell a used trans.
Can they even sell the tranny? I was under the impression that the entire drivetrain was not to be sold or released.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Whitewater Racer
Pro
Pro

Post by Whitewater Racer »

Can they even sell the tranny? I was under the impression that the entire drivetrain was not to be sold or released.

What do they do with them after they render them inoperative??? CJ.

http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-14

"The CARS Act requires that the trade-in vehicle be crushed or shredded so that it will not be resold for use in the United States or elsewhere as an automobile. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train."
-Gary Labrum
Wilder, ID

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the Thrill of SPEED overcomes the FEAR of DEATH!"
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

One often overlooked aspect of the 'cradle to grave' emissions of vehicles is that the completely uncontrolled pollution of the Bunker C-burning ship that brings a boatload of Priuses to our shores exceeds the lifetime emissions of the cars themselves! :shock:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

MadBill wrote:One often overlooked aspect of the 'cradle to grave' emissions of vehicles is that the completely uncontrolled pollution of the Bunker C-burning ship that brings a boatload of Priuses to our shores exceeds the lifetime emissions of the cars themselves! :shock:
...and guess who they tax to death for it? Not the sailors, I can say.. :evil:
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

I see a waste of good cars/parts. And, while they want to say it's all about cleaner cars, I see it as yet another GM/Chrysler/UAW bail-out.
Bottom line; more of our tax money being thrown around while the earners have zero say-so in the process. The green part of all of this is pure bullshit as has been pointed out in this thread already. No wealth is being created, just more redistribution. The only thing these clowns know less about than cars is economics.
It's pretty pathetic of the voting public to be taken in by a bunch of Gulfstream environmentalists. Anybody who actually still takes these people serious is pretty much hopeless. Hurry the hell up 2010 and 2012!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Anybody who actually still takes these people serious is pretty much hopeless. Hurry the hell up 2010 and 2012!
I agree completly. Perhaps one cause of poor legislation is that Congressmen spend their time being driven by limo from their home to office. They have little conception of how Americans actually use their cars.

While enviornmentalist Nazis rail against gas guzzlers, few realize that many folks own several cars, of different design and size, each to be used for a different purpose. Try hauling a car trailer, or boat, or four kids with an econobox.

For many years, the best selling vehicle was (and perhaps still is) a pickup truck. The decision to purchase any vehicle by the public is based on what is in their own best interest and need. Not some green staff lawyer.

I would much prefer to pay Congressmen a substantial salary to play golf, get drunk and chase young female interns, instead of passing legislation that is ultimately not in the best interests of this nation. It would be far, far less expensive.