What does 128 mean regarding cam selection?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

big block fiero

Re: What does 128 mean regarding cam selection?

Post by big block fiero »

Stan Weiss wrote:
big block fiero wrote:I am definately going to find this out at David Vizards seminar, sept 11,12, in Chaska MN.
I have just seen the preliminary agenda for the seminar and for 16 bulleted items on Saturday and with #128 being only one of 19 bulleted items on Sunday along with a guess speaker each day. I would hope that you would come away from the seminar with way more information than just the meaning of 128.

Stan
That is exactly why I am going absolutely, regardless.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

machine shop tom wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:00 am I wasted 10 bucks or so on one of Vizard's how to rebuild SBCs years ago. I'm not gonna make that mistake again.

tom
Not everyone knows everything about engines. For a novice builder, (not me), this book can be invaluable. Every once in a while I pull my copy out to look up some tidbit I have forgotten. I have seen many books on the subject of the sbc, and most are fluff. Vizard's books are not that. like most though, he is opinionated. You have a right to yours.
So much to do, so little time...
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Wow, just saw this thread and remember when Matt (OP) was talking about going to Vizards seminar. That was a while ago, wonder what ever happened to big block fiero? he had some really strange ideas on car stuff.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

I wasted my money on Vizard's "How to Port and Flow Test Cylinder Heads". Wasted might not be the correct word but there was precious little information on porting in that book. I have learned far more here reading threads. I don't think I'll be purchasing anymore of his books.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:03 am I wasted my money on Vizard's "How to Port and Flow Test Cylinder Heads". Wasted might not be the correct word but there was precious little information on porting in that book. I have learned far more here reading threads. I don't think I'll be purchasing anymore of his books.
I built this car and engine from Vizard books as well as other magazine articles before we had internet, 20 years with internet has mostly confirmed what I did and exposed those who I guess can not learn. There is info out there more advanced than what Vizard and others taught but I see people today asking what should be obvious with the info we have available and they are clueless.

It seems we have forgotten how to learn and just want others to give us the answers.

The car I built from magazine articles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RgKOCo0GhU
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

GARY C wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:36 am
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:03 am I wasted my money on Vizard's "How to Port and Flow Test Cylinder Heads". Wasted might not be the correct word but there was precious little information on porting in that book. I have learned far more here reading threads. I don't think I'll be purchasing anymore of his books.
I built this car and engine from Vizard books as well as other magazine articles before we had internet, 20 years with internet has mostly confirmed what I did and exposed those who I guess can not learn. There is info out there more advanced than what Vizard and others taught but I see people today asking what should be obvious with the info we have available and they are clueless.

It seems we have forgotten how to learn and just want others to give us the answers.

Being the title what it was I was expecting him to show examples of him porting a head. I wanted to learn. But a lot of the basic stuff that I learned through reading here, isn't really covered in that book. At least not in a way a novice could understand. Just snippets here and there. No porting examples whatsoever. I would think even you as a fan of the guy could admit that book is not what the title says.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

I purchased that book in 2012 a year or so prior to buying my flowbench,I agree the title is misleading BUT knowing a little bit more now than 2012 I can see how a step by step instruction book would be impossible.
Speedtalk has helped me so much especially when you have the ability to message, email other people who want to learn and help.
I got the book out of the cupboard and I am going to read it,I am sure there is some relative information there.
I want to see what I have highlighted in orange pen.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:12 am
GARY C wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:36 am

Being the title what it was I was expecting him to show examples of him porting a head. I wanted to learn. But a lot of the basic stuff that I learned through reading here, isn't really covered in that book. At least not in a way a novice could understand. Just snippets here and there. No porting examples whatsoever. I would think even you as a fan of the guy could admit that book is not what the title says.

I had already been porting my own heads before that book came out, I started around 1995 with mag articles, pictures and looking at heads at the shop that did my machine work and then see if my car picked up at the track. I bought a little SF 110 bench around 99 or 2000, I got a damaged head from ProTop Line to cut a runner open and also push the envelope to see what hurt or helped air speed and flow. I did get some pointers from a cpl of porters, I try to stay pretty conservative so I don't screw up.
I think most of the stuff in his book I had already seen in his previous books and articles but It seems really hard to convey how to port in writing or maybe that just me.
Shortly after DV first contacted me he sent he a head with one intake and ex ported for me to mimic and send back for grading and to see how my flow numbers compared on his SF 600 bench.

There are a few good interviews hear in the interview section you might want to check out.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!