BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

banjo
Expert
Expert

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by banjo »

So you haven't heard from Troy Patterson on this?

You would figure he would jump at this opportunity to prove his designs superior to others. Sure he hasn't had too much luck trying to tune over the internet but if there is any truth to his claims, he should be able to hold his own in this competition.

He is probably one of the most outspoken carb builders on this site. He would gain a little respect back if he showed, but if he doesn't, it further proves to me my impressions of him.

So Troy, do you have it in you to play with the big boys or are you going to remain a self proclaimed internet carb expert. You could quiet all the naysayers and prove your legitimacy.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

This seems like a great idea, you can count on our participation and support. In talking with Rick it appears this is not much farther along than the planning stages. It would be nice if there was a 500-600 cu.in. engine that made somewhere between 1000 and 1200 hp. The engine should use an intake manifold like the Dart box top or the New Edelbrock BBC manifolds that would accommodate all of the current production performance carburetors. Thus allowing everyone to run their current serious race products. The last thing that is needed is rules to favor one company over another.

This is something that is long overdue

Dave
Procision-Auto
Guru
Guru

Post by Procision-Auto »

Just some fair warning, leave certain "issues" and "members" out these discussions to prevent another locked thread.

I think everyone is getting tired of the off-railing, and Don is cleaning up quickly. I hate to see good threads locked
for all else to enjoy.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

You know what fellahs ? If you think about it, if TMP were truly building ' junk,' he would have folded up his shop years ago. So in a sense, he must be making some customers happy. If Mr. Patterson competed in the Carb Shoot Out in Orlando, and placed very well among the the carb guru's, I dare think hed have the last laugh. Frankly, Troy would only have to be a top 3 contender for any rights to boast about his talents if some of the ' big boys ' show up with their respective carburetor entries. After all, he is free to compete the next year if this gathering is a success.

If Troy has something to prove, either to himself or to everyone else, the ' GUN FIGHT @ THE BLP CORRAL ' is the place to settle any doubt or opinions once and for all. Has anyone considered the fact that the top 3 carb entries might be less than 5 horse power apart ? I certainly wouldnt gripe about a mans product if it earned a bronze medal.

Myself personally, I hope he shows up. I would like to see what his work looks like and how it stands up against other heavy hitters. We need to show some respect and make this contest happen !!!

HOW ABOUT THAT !! DAVE BRASWELL IS IN !! That name alone should attract more heavy hitters ! Steve Zicht
Rick1999
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick1999 »

Dave Braswell wrote:This seems like a great idea, you can count on our participation and support. In talking with Rick it appears this is not much farther along than the planning stages. It would be nice if there was a 500-600 cu.in. engine that made somewhere between 1000 and 1200 hp. The engine should use an intake manifold like the Dart box top or the New Edelbrock BBC manifolds that would accommodate all of the current production performance carburetors. Thus allowing everyone to run their current serious race products. The last thing that is needed is rules to favor one company over another.

This is something that is long overdue

Dave
Thanks for joining in Dave, I'm sure your participation will give some credibility to this shootout. You are correct about this thing just being in the planning stages, this discussion was just started on Monday. It looks like a lot of us have been thinking the same thing but just never tried to put it together, I certainly have never tried to do anything like this, maybe somebody who has some experience with the Engine Masters could offer some pointers? I like your idea for an engine combo, it would accommodate just about any real performance carburetor without a whole bunch of adapters and is pretty representative of the types of engines we work with everyday, it's also the type of engine that would hold up to this much dyno testing.

So it seems like this thing is starting to take off a little bit but there is still an awful lot of work to do to make it happen. We need an engine, anybody know an builder who would like to be part of this?
Rick Cole
Rick1999
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick1999 »

1) Robbie Devane
2) Dale Cubic (CFM Carbs)
3) Mark Whitener (jmakaudio)
4) Rayjaye carburetors but he would just send an entry, he can't make it in person.
5) Dave Braswell
Rick Cole
Rick1999
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick1999 »

Procision-Auto wrote:Just some fair warning, leave certain "issues" and "members" out these discussions to prevent another locked thread.

I think everyone is getting tired of the off-railing, and Don is cleaning up quickly. I hate to see good threads locked
for all else to enjoy.
Thanks for posting this, if you guys want to bash someone please do it in your own thread.
Rick Cole
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

One thing to think about:

As with anything everyone can have a bad go at something or just completely miss it. Say one person/company has this problems with their entry or just completely misses and lets also say this isn't something that happens very often to them and are widely know for making good products.

Some may not want to enter or bring some off the wall stuff due to not wanting to make them selves look bad if something goes wrong. This brings up my point, how about only revealing numbers on a certain number of top finishers (top 3 or top 5). That way more people will be likely to enter or try some off the wall things with out fear of someone taking every carb they build off one example.

While I'd be interesting in seeing all the numbers on all entries, I'd hate to lose some entries or some radical approach entries to fear of loosing business off one example or test. This way if they just have a bad time, they just finish last instead of 50HP behind everyone else.

What might also be interesting is a drivability test after all said and done, however not easily done due to time restraints and completely open to interpretation on how to score.
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

Jmark has thrown his hat in the ring, This is really starting to get interesting. It would be nice to see Prosystems and APD get involved in this also

I really think the difference in hp between the top few will be really tight.

Anyway we could get a webcast on this deal?

I may have missed it but do you plan to release the individual results as the competition progress or basically do each session in with the results only known to the individuals running the competition. I think you should keep the results quiet to the very end then rack and stack them from there, that way the individual entries won't know the bar to beat while tuning.
74 Nova
SBC 406
3267 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.29 (10/15)
1/8 6.06@110 (10/15)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

It was brought up that the week around the PRI show might be a good time to shoot for, since a lot of carb companies will be in town around then anyway.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Readers,

If you know of more carburetor builders, contact them and let them know whats going on. Tell them about the shoot out that were trying to organize at BLP's place in Orlando ! Not all of the carb guys monitor Speed Talk so give them a ' heads up ' about the event.

Im sure this would help out Rick at BLP with contacting potential shoot out contestants ! Lets make this happen ! SZ
DrillDawg
Expert
Expert

Post by DrillDawg »

If one of the magazines would get involved and publish the results that would be even better.

And if some major companies would sponsor the event to make it worth while and to draw more interest.

DD
BORN RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Another thought, will there be any shear plates of choice allowed? Or only approved adaptors needed to fit to the intake???
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

Intake spacers/adapters with fuel shear plate are part of the carburetor induction package, as they have been for more than 35 years. If this is to be a true "run what ya brung" shoot out, then arbitrary discisions on what is "approved" is only defeating the spirit of the competition. Restrictive rules have stifled more inovations in motorsports than any one single factor. (Except maybe money). The parts we plan on running are production parts that we sell to anyone that wants to buy them. The spacer/adapter/shear plate we would run fits both our large 7395 carburetor and the 2.75" bore C/L X 5.38" square bolt pattern carburetors. Anyone showing up at this event is welcome to use it. Bolt your carburetor on and let the "Dyno Races" begin.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

This still should be a single carburetor application to keep expenses down. Are we still on that page or are we now talking about a dual carb configuration ? If the bar is raised to high, many carb guys wont bother to even enter the shoot out. SZ