BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

nomad

Re: BLP CARB SHOOTOUT Your input please !

Post by nomad »

Why not a crate engine for the competition? Which carb guys can really make a GM Performance Parts 572 really sing? Of course, there are other engine builders out there capable of supplying a reliable engine, too.
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

nomad wrote:Why not a crate engine for the competition? Which carb guys can really make a GM Performance Parts 572 really sing? Of course, there are other engine builders out there capable of supplying a reliable engine, too.
This is to be a shoot out for serious competition carburetors. To TRY and run top effort racing carburetors on a crate motor would be a joke.
I think it is time to start limiting the input to the people who are actually going to participate in this contest.

I have an engine builder who is willing to furnish a good motor (638 cu in) for use in this contest. It will be detuned so that it will make at least 100 pulls. Power level will be in the 1135-1150 HP range. He just asks that he be compensated enough to freshen the motor when the contest is complete.
This motor is only 12.5:1 compression, so if the carb is off a little it won't get hurt.

I also think it is time to have an entry fee put in place. This would help cover the cost of the event and provide funds to freshen the motor at the end of the contest. At this point the official entrants can continue to work together to form guide lines.

Dave
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Sounds like a cool contest and an awsome challenge for the compeditors.

If your first try is a success it might be nice to see a street type shoot out on something smaller say a 400" SBC or SBF???
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

dfree383 wrote:Sounds like a cool contest and an awsome challenge for the compeditors.

If your first try is a success it might be nice to see a street type shoot out on something smaller say a 400" SBC or SBF???
It would be nice next year to run a DLM style motor, 430-450 cu.in. 850-900 HP. They could be run 200-300 pulls and still ready to put in the race car. This competition needs to stay focused on current front running race technology. This will lead the way and set the mark for others to follow.
It will also show that carburetor performance is far from obsolete and is not soon to be eclipised by EFI.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Dave Braswell wrote: It will also show that carburetor performance is far from obsolete and is not soon to be eclipised by EFI.
Absolutely. And are we going to get grief for this... 8)
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Seems that everybody has their own idea as to how a carburetor shoot out should happen and be organized.

First off, we need to get more serious people involved. Thus far, only ( 5 ) shops have committed to enter with serious intentions to show up. Has anybody else contacted other shops and informed them about the ' Gunfight @ the BLP Corral ' yet ? Im going to call a shop this morning myself nearby.

It has been brought up the Holley manufacturing be invited. I think its a good idea myself and Im certain Holley may be interested as well to send one of their reps to compete and gather a bit of PR.

It has also been suggested that the the Shoot Out be held the same week that the PRI show is held in December. Well, you have to admit that most of the gunslingers will be in town anyway so it sounds like a good idea.

If the word gets out about this carburetor competition and several people want to be involved, should the total number of participants for the event be limited ? Theres alot of carb builders that may be not so big by reputation and would love a shot at this. Im thinking that there could be the possibilty of having a ' Top Gun Shoot Out ' on the ' big ' motor that Braswell has arranged and a separate ' Super Street Shoot Out ' for the other contenders that may be eager to participate also that may not be so well known. Perhaps a ' crate motor ' for that competition ? Ive never seen the facilities that BLP in Orlando has in house and not sure if they have more than one engine dyno. Regardless, an engine change on a single dyno is feasable to separate the events.

Just thinking out loud here fellahs trying to come up with a workable plan.

I agree with Dave Braswell that there should be a fee involved here. Perhaps a fee for the Top Guns and a separate fee for the Super Street paticipants ? Another thing that by charging an entry fee, that should pretty much eliminate the ' simply curious ' novices that do not build race carburetors for a living as a full time business. Im thinking that all the money generated with the entry fees should be contributed to the host facility to cover fuel, dyno time and help pay for engine expenses and so forth. If BLP has generously offered their facility to host the Shoot Out, they should be compensated for their trouble as to it costs money to host this stuff !

I thought the idea that someone brought up to purchase a full page ad in one of the racing publications to announce the top 3 winners was excellent. Thats great PR for the winners and if this contest is held just prior to the PRI event thats in town, the winners would certainly have something to boast about during the show and even better if you happen to have a vendors booth at the PRI event. Dave Braswell brought this up with me and I agreed with his thoughts and reasoning. A small money prize will never out weigh being crowned the Ultimate Champ against some pretty good names in the business.

Now, we need some people to help Rick Cole out with some basic parameters as to what kind of event this will be. What are we looking for ? Best average horse power number or best accelleration rate to similate a pass at a drag strip ? As I understand, the dyno at the BLP facility has this similation capability.

I like the ' Run What Ya Brung ' concept to keep the field wide open however. If the carb will bolt on the dyno engine/s, then you can run it !

Has anybody else contacted any of the race carburetor vendors that have not been mentioned yet ? SZ
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

Update:

Just finished talking to John Dickie @ AED ( Advanced Engine Design ) in Richmond Virginia and he is very interested in being a possible participant. However John felt that this kind of event prior to the PRI show would make it difficult for him to attend as to its a real nut house getting his booth set up prior to the doors opening up. He felt that it might work better if the Shoot Out was held after the PRI.

Regardless though, he's very interested and wants more details about the event and what will be involved to enter. IE; dates, entry fee's and so forth. John said that as more information is available, please keep him informed. SZ
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

jmarkaudio wrote:
Dave Braswell wrote: It will also show that carburetor performance is far from obsolete and is not soon to be eclipised by EFI.
I'm not quite sure how we are going to get grief from this. If people have a problem with the truth, thats their problem.
Eric68
Expert
Expert

Post by Eric68 »

I'd be interested in E85 were the fuel :mrgreen:
E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro 427" E85 powered small block, 9.95 @ 133 mph best motor ET through the mufflers. 1.319 best sixty foot.
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Dave Braswell wrote:
jmarkaudio wrote:
I'm not quite sure how we are going to get grief from this. If people have a problem with the truth, thats their problem.
The only people that will give us any grief are the people that. 1) Don't understand how a carburetor work's. And 2)- they think that punching in some number's on a lap top will alway's make more power.
Watch out Dave I'm coming for you. lol :D

www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

It would be interesting to see how an out of the box Holley HP or Dominator fares. Heck, I lived closer, I might show up with a Predator :lol:
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Robbie DeVane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robbie DeVane »

Keith Morganstein wrote:It would be interesting to see how an out of the box Holley HP or Dominator fares. Heck, I lived closer, I might show up with a Predator :lol:
WOW!!!!!! a predator lol :lol:

www.devanecarbs.com
DeVane carburetors are precision assembled and calibrated to YOUR combo. Are you ready for the next level of performance?
dfree383
Guru
Guru

Post by dfree383 »

Sounds like you guys will at least have a good time BS'n and Hanginig out is nothing else !!! Good excuse to get out of the shop !!! =D>

PS don't make me whip out my old 3310 mule carb..... :lol: :lol:
Dave Braswell

Post by Dave Braswell »

I just spoke with Marvin Benoit at QFT, they have comitted to show up and run one of their QFX 1450 carbs.
Steve Zicht
Pro
Pro

Post by Steve Zicht »

I sent an e mail to Steve Baker in Pa. and gave him a brief rundown to see if he was interested in participating with one of his ' outlaw ' billet carbs. I'll see if he replies on this site or to Rick @ BLP. I gave him the site info here at Speed Talk if he wants to see the chat and perhaps contribute anything.

Also talked to Competition Carburetion in Nevada and spoke to Bob the owner. He was thrilled about this but is committed to another location at the date of the PRI event. Bob said this was an excellent idea and also agreed that this type of competition is long overdue. Might give all the contestants useful info as to where they actually stack up against the rest of the ' big boys.' Commented that it will be interesting to see if somebody can beat Dave Braswell.

Thus far, the consensus is ' WOW ! SZ