Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

donc
Guru
Guru
Re: Hotrod Capitol?

Post by donc »

I always imagined southern California would be the place,when I was a kid and hotrod was printed in green and white ,just about every cool hotrod or the latest "hot setup" seemed to come from that area.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

john hennessy wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 pm so-cal is dead now, every aspiring person with enough money to build or have built a hot rod has left for arizona, nevada or oregon.

speed shops are gone due to the internet.

you can't just go down to the junk yard and pick up a rust free 60's car anymore all that's there are hondas, toyotas and hundia and they get crushed regularly as the steel is needed in china.

the racing fraturnity have moved to indiana.

most hotrods are ordered from a catalogue and to be honest are becomming cookie cutter cars even as far as the paint, Mike Levally flames, sorry "real fire" is on everything and if you don't have a "Hiets front end", "Foose Wheels" an "LS motor" and aftermarket EFI, well why did you bother building it.

just try and find someone to make some chrome reversed rims out of old wheels, no you are supposed to have one off custom 22's now.

there are a few holdouts with nitch markets such as H&H who do the flathead stuff and guys doing the ratrod/rockabilly thing but thats about it.

have you been to SEMA lately, wheels and carbon, sand buggies and late model compact parts, sure they have a muscle car on a few stands but nothing that interests me.

i went to the rockabilly weekend in vegas, trailer queens and old iron straight out of the junk yard, sorry "vintage iron", was all that was there, nothing that was a truely hand built hotrod like it used to be.

sad really, but time marches on.
Do you even live in So Cal? You don't have a clue about the hot rod scene here.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

GLHS60 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:35 am No need to be nasty.

Thanks
Randy
So Cal is where it all began. It's still Hot Rod Capitol of the word.

Thanks
HS Nova
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

GLHS60 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:15 am Still, no need to be nasty.

Thanks
Randy
I don't know where you got nasty from.

Thanks,
HS Nova
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

HS Nova wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:06 pm
GLHS60 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:15 am Still, no need to be nasty.

Thanks
Randy
I don't know where you got nasty from.

Thanks,
HS Nova
Not only was it nasty...it was 7 years late!! Hahaha

And that guy hasn’t been on here for 6 years..good going, so quick on the comeback.

You seem to be having difficulty starting fights on here lately,, I see you’re fishing a lot, but not getting any bites.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

I asked if he even lived in Southern California because if he did, it would be really hard to miss the scene here. Car shows year around and history everywhere.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

easy way to find out is to hit your local Craigslist and type in SBC, BBC SBF etc etc......if twenty items pop up then you know there ain't much activity in the area.....if you hit thousands of adverts, I'd say indicates there was and still is an active hot rodding community in the region....
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

shoedoos wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:33 pm easy way to find out is to hit your local Craigslist and type in SBC, BBC SBF etc etc......if twenty items pop up then you know there ain't much activity in the area.....if you hit thousands of adverts, I'd say indicates there was and still is an active hot rodding community in the region....
Even Covid 19 couldn't stop car cruises in So Cal.