Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: Notice To Veterans

Post by enigma57 »

* That seems to be the case, Dave. Seems the same people who bought up all the scratchy wipe are now buying up ammo. My wife has a little 5-shot Ruger LCRx for personal carry (pocket or purse) and I was looking for some 158 grain semi wadcutter ammo in .38 Special for her last night. Found some online in +P, but for her, I would like to see how a non +P would do.

Also looking at the new Ruger LCRx in .357 Magnum. If the magnum loads are a bit much for her in such a light (15.7 oz.) revolver, she can always use .38 Special ammo in it. The .357 Magnum version is made in stainless steel and is just a little bit heavier in weight (21 oz.) than her .38 Special but the added weight might help with hotter .38 Special loads such as Buffalo Bore semi wadcutters.

* Lefty, having good dogs is always a priority. Good of you to post that. We have our furry early warning system covered here in the house. Our one small dog handles that and the big dog remains silent and watchful. Out and about and getting from the house to or from the car, we are on our own. In the house, an intruder will have both ourselves and our dogs to contend with.

Best regards,

Harry
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I tripped over this channel last night. He specializes in actual weapons of war.
The trick is he has super slo mo cameras and demonstrates various weapons working with cut a way guns.
I thought I should know this but was astounded how much barrels move around.
This is an extreme example. The good stuff happens in the last part of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8wEvNUHDNk
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Dave Koehler wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:46 am I tripped over this channel last night. He specializes in actual weapons of war.
The trick is he has super slo mo cameras and demonstrates various weapons working with cut a way guns.
I thought I should know this but was astounded how much barrels move around.
This is an extreme example. The good stuff happens in the last part of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8wEvNUHDNk
yup, barrels move like crazy, why benchresters are always in search of the "node". video's out there of M4's , its just crazy how much them barrels whip around.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

enigma57 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:30 am Thanks for the links, Dwight! I will go through them this evening. FWIW...... I live in Texas. In the county NW of Houston. Most folks here are well armed...... Including the thugs. Our problem is that Houston (and Houston crime) have moved out to our area (and 50 miles past) over the past 25 years. Wife is still working and the only reason we are still here is to limit her commute to between 1 hr. and 1-1/2 hr. each way. If it weren't for that, we would be at least 150 miles from here. Hate the Chinese plague but having her here working from home via computer since early March has been a blessing.

Regarding shotgun gauge, I will stay with 12 gauge. Have researched shells and have settled on triple aught buck based upon size and number of pellets, grouping and how well it would stop a drug crazed 250 lb. thug charging you. I believe that is the best compromise for my purposes. On the question of shell extractors VS ejectors...... I realize the chance of reloading either a shotgun or a revolver during a firefight is remote. However, one of the drills I have had my wife train on is having several double barrel shotguns stationed in our chosen places about our home and working as a team whilst she hands me a loaded shotgun and reloads as I fire the others. Or if I am wounded, the reverse.

The thugs we have here do not stop and consider or reason whether it is smart to continue when they kick in your door or rush you as you arrive or depart in your car same as someone in their right mind might. They are usually so drugged up and intent on murder and mayhem that your best bet is to take them out with a single shot and methodically move on to the next until you have finished them off. Based upon what we have seen over the past several years here including drug deals gone bad and shootouts in the neighbourhood park area...... Once a firefight begins, it will continue until everyone not killed outright can no longer fire their weapon. In short, all parties tend to stand their ground and fight until they can no longer do so including cases where all parties have mortally wounded one another and the Sheriff's deputies must sort it all out when the bodies are found the following morning. That's what we are dealing with here and that is the situation those who live in areas where the local powers that be want to defund the police will soon find themselves in, as well.

Lefty and Fireonthemountain...... Thanks for sharing that information regarding reliability issues with the Brazilian made Stoeger shotguns. I will look into this and if need be, will pick up a more reliable shotgun to use for home defense. Other than the simplicity of operation, the main reason for considering stationing several double barrel shotguns throughout our home rather than picking up a couple semi-autos or pump actions is reliability.

Best regards,

Harry
I live 5 miles past the West Texas border :lol:

Another short shotgun option is finding a used long double barreled, that's cheap, and then cut the barrels down to generally 18 or more inches to keep it legal. The Stoegers seem to be OK, as they sell a lot of them and they are used in Cowboy action shooting quite a bit. The firing pins are suspect on them and why I replaced them right off for a total price of $20 for some stainless ones. The light spring issue I think he is referring to comes from people modifying the opening lever spring cutting coils off of it, and they can make it too light. When that happens the breach can come open a tad on the first shot, and you get a light primer strike on the second shell and it doesn't fire because of the increased distance from the firing pin.

With extractors the shells can just fall out, after a little hone work, like with a brake hone. Ejectors are generally not allowed in Cowboy action contests, but it doesn't slow them down.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Fireonthemountain wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:21 am
enigma57 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:30 am Thanks for the links, Dwight! I will go through them this evening. FWIW...... I live in Texas. In the county NW of Houston. Most folks here are well armed...... Including the thugs. Our problem is that Houston (and Houston crime) have moved out to our area (and 50 miles past) over the past 25 years. Wife is still working and the only reason we are still here is to limit her commute to between 1 hr. and 1-1/2 hr. each way. If it weren't for that, we would be at least 150 miles from here. Hate the Chinese plague but having her here working from home via computer since early March has been a blessing.

Regarding shotgun gauge, I will stay with 12 gauge. Have researched shells and have settled on triple aught buck based upon size and number of pellets, grouping and how well it would stop a drug crazed 250 lb. thug charging you. I believe that is the best compromise for my purposes. On the question of shell extractors VS ejectors...... I realize the chance of reloading either a shotgun or a revolver during a firefight is remote. However, one of the drills I have had my wife train on is having several double barrel shotguns stationed in our chosen places about our home and working as a team whilst she hands me a loaded shotgun and reloads as I fire the others. Or if I am wounded, the reverse.

The thugs we have here do not stop and consider or reason whether it is smart to continue when they kick in your door or rush you as you arrive or depart in your car same as someone in their right mind might. They are usually so drugged up and intent on murder and mayhem that your best bet is to take them out with a single shot and methodically move on to the next until you have finished them off. Based upon what we have seen over the past several years here including drug deals gone bad and shootouts in the neighbourhood park area...... Once a firefight begins, it will continue until everyone not killed outright can no longer fire their weapon. In short, all parties tend to stand their ground and fight until they can no longer do so including cases where all parties have mortally wounded one another and the Sheriff's deputies must sort it all out when the bodies are found the following morning. That's what we are dealing with here and that is the situation those who live in areas where the local powers that be want to defund the police will soon find themselves in, as well.

Lefty and Fireonthemountain...... Thanks for sharing that information regarding reliability issues with the Brazilian made Stoeger shotguns. I will look into this and if need be, will pick up a more reliable shotgun to use for home defense. Other than the simplicity of operation, the main reason for considering stationing several double barrel shotguns throughout our home rather than picking up a couple semi-autos or pump actions is reliability.

Best regards,

Harry

Another short shotgun option is finding a used long double barreled, that's cheap, and then cut the barrels down to generally 18 or more inches to keep it legal. The Stoegers seem to be OK, as they sell a lot of them and they are used in Cowboy action shooting quite a bit. The firing pins are suspect on them and why I replaced them right off for a total price of $20 for some stainless ones. The light spring issue I think he is referring to comes from people modifying the opening lever spring cutting coils off of it, and they can make it too light. When that happens the breach can come open a tad on the first shot, and you get a light primer strike on the second shell and it doesn't fire because of the increased distance from the firing pin.

With extractors the shells can just fall out, after a little hone work, like with a brake hone. Ejectors are generally not allowed in Cowboy action contests, but it doesn't slow them down.
my mention of soft springs in stoegers, is all of them, but primarily hammer springs. seen it in multiple models of their guns. like i said, your life, your choice. how much is your life worth to you?
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

No worries, lefty! Message received and understood. If I consider a Brazilian made Stoeger shotgun, I will check it out thoroughly same as I will any other firearm. And if I get it, will look at replacing any firing pins or springs as needed.

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Fireonthemountain wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:21 amI live 5 miles past the West Texas border :lol:
Dwight, are y'all anywhere near Hobbs, New Mexico? My first wife, G-d rest her soul, had relatives there. Her cousin Ginger was active in barrel racing and other rodeo events. She was killed when her Jeep rolled over some years ago, though.

Best regards,

Harry
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

Funny Harry that you should mention Hobbs. I have a very close friend who lives there and is also a gun enthusiast. :wink: His son was a Deputy Sheriff in Lea County.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Allen, ask your friend if he knows any of the Benners in Hobbs.

Thanks,

Harry
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

enigma57 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:00 am Allen, ask your friend if he knows any of the Benners in Hobbs.

Thanks,

Harry
Message sent to my friend. Allen
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

enigma57 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:00 am Allen, ask your friend if he knows any of the Benners in Hobbs.

Thanks,

Harry
My friend does know anyone by that name. He may know them by their first names. He has been retired for a number of years now but was working part time at Apache Hardware there in Hobbs until May of this year. He is now fully retired. So it is possible he would have met them at the hardware store. Allen
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks, Allen! Just a shot in the dark. Sometimes, I forget its been 40 years or more since Ginger was killed in the Jeep rollover. There was a rift between my first wife's family members 35 years ago and I lost track of them. Those who lived in Hobbs may have died out or moved away in the years since.

Best regards,

Harry
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

enigma57 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:09 pm
Fireonthemountain wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:21 amI live 5 miles past the West Texas border :lol:
Dwight, are y'all anywhere near Hobbs, New Mexico? My first wife, G-d rest her soul, had relatives there. Her cousin Ginger was active in barrel racing and other rodeo events. She was killed when her Jeep rolled over some years ago, though.

Best regards,

Harry
You got it Hobbs it is. My family moved out here, from East Texas when I as about 12-13. But you might need to evacuate now, from the Houston area depending on which direction that hurricane steers.

https://www.investmentwatchblog.com/ful ... s-history/

Its in Beast mode.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

lefty o wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:31 am
Fireonthemountain wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:21 am

Best regards,

Harry

my mention of soft springs in stoegers, is all of them, but primarily hammer springs. seen it in multiple models of their guns. like i said, your life, your choice. how much is your life worth to you?
I have dry fired it several times, and the thing seems to fire those pins pretty hard. The problem of a non fire soft primer strike seems to be either soft firing pins or the breaches coming open slightly after the first shot. But one of the two barrels do fire. Unlike a typical gun a double barrel has two shots ready to go instantly with a simple trigger pull. No reloading or clearing the chamber to get at least one shot off.

I have bet my life many times and I am still here, but I have gotten to the point I know death is headed my way one way or another and I have no fear. I prepare for possibilities but not out of fear.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Great to hear from you, Dwight! I thought it might be Hobbs from your description. We dodged the bullet here NW of Houston. Eye of the storm passed over Cameron, Louisiana in the wee hours of the morning. 150 MPH sustained winds with gusts to 175 MPH and pushing 10 - 15 ft. of storm surge water 40 miles inland there right after landfall. They really have it rough. On the Texas side of the Sabine River...... Beaumont, Orange, Winnie and Port Arthur really took a beating.

Over 1/4 million people without electric power by that point. Probably more now, as the storm moves farther inland. My parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles are all buried in Beaumont, Texas. Some at the old cemetery by the Neches River where Babe Didrickson and the Big Bopper are buried. Others farther downstream at the small Jewish cemetery on Pine Street there. No family living there now. Prayers for all affected.

Agree 100% regarding Stoeger and other double barreled shotguns. They will be our primary home defense weapons with revolvers as backups. I will double check springs and firing pins of whatever shotguns we settle on whether they are Stoegers or another brand. And yes, we will shorten the barrels to make them more easy to handle in the tight confines of a dark home at night. We will station 2 or 3 of them at 3 strategic points within our home so we can lay hands on them quickly when needed and will have enough rounds to do the job.

And like yourself, I retain the frame of mind I have held since my time in military service so many years ago. If I have to defend our home against several drug crazed armed home invaders, they have sealed their fate the moment they kick in our door(s). Whether I survive or not is in G-d's hands. But if not...... You may rest assured that I will take as many of the bastards with me as I can. And I have trained my wife to do the same.

Best regards,

Harry