Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Gawd I hate trying to sell stuff...

Post by travis »

...or just dealing with the public in general. I guess that is why I like working the graveyard shift...much less people to deal with on a regular basis.

I put my old daily beater 2001 Honda up for sale online, for cheap. Within 15 minutes my phone is blowing up with offers like $100 a month payment plans, offers to mow my yard for 6 months in exchange, etc etc. Do people really think some individual is going to “finance” a vehicle to some random person???

This isn’t even counting the offers to receive more than asking price, via money order or cashiers check, from people far away wanting me to ship them a vehicle, site unseen? Do people really fall for this crap?
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Gawd I hate trying to sell stuff...

Post by PackardV8 »

Yes and yes.

The internet enables us to offer out to the ends of the earth and sell to customers never before possible to reach. It also puts the phishing costs down to nil. Scammers at the ends of the earth can toss out offers at zero cost. If only one out of thousands bites, it's free money.

So you think you've learned and next time you'll post "price firm" "cash only", "reply by text only", "no trades" and spell out your phone number. The scammers will still be there. What else is there to do on a Sunday in Bratislava?
Last edited by PackardV8 on Sun May 19, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

What’s funny is that I made a very detailed description of all the things wrong with it, and people still ask “is there anything wrong with it?” #-o
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

LOL I was just gonna make a post n rant bout how I hate facebook market place. OMFG talk bout a waste of time! I've sold plenty on craigslist here n there but market place is worthless! It's like when people decided to start texting cause talking was too efficient! I finally decided to give it a try a little bit ago and not sold jack! LOL I don't care if less see my ads on craigslist, at least it won't be a total waste of time!

It's just too easy for them to message you n see if you'll take a crackhead price I guess. I price my stuff fair and then account for some wiggle room cause everyone wants to feel like they got a deal. LOL I don't get it cause my stuff is nicer and cheaper than plain old worthless junk I see the scammers selling(prob the same people trying to buy my stuff for nothing LOL). But I'm positive I could put FREE and get people asking me to pay them to come get the stuff!

I mean why go to the trouble of the back n forth to work out a deal n time then just never get back with em to even just say "found something else!". No I won't ship, ad says local only! READ the Fing details before you ask(problem anywhere)! Check out my location before you negotiate and realize I'm two states away(come on FB your dropping the ball, need some kind of flashing lights or taser to let them know).

w/e it's only gonna get worse with this younger worthless generation of rude time-wasters, I'll bury it all in the backyard to rot b4 I give it away. LOL last time I took in various scrap those guys were picking out odds n ends for them or to sell and it was junk. I cut up some old intakes I ported that were meh cause I don't want them to try n sell those under my name but they will prob still show up as needs welding LOL
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Almost forgot, they love to hit that g-dang still got it button n never reply, FB needs to get rid of that! Also annoying from a buying perspective that no1 deletes sold item ads on any platform.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

BOOT wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:12 pm But I'm positive I could put FREE and get people asking me to pay them to come get the stuff!

LOL
I had to laugh as I had that exact thing happen last week on CL.
I had some 1 year old plastic lattice that I decided I did not like.
This was not expensive stuff so free seemed fair.
I did not want it laying around here waiting for the next community dump day.
Took some nice pictures and put them up in the free section.

First contact was a lady that did not have a truck or a large enough SUV or a friend with same.
She gave her address and offered $5.00 to have it delivered.
Ahhh Gee, thanks. So generous.
Her address is 12 miles one way through town. Can't get there from here kind of location.
Poof! I don't have a truck either.

That kind of nonsense just makes me chuckle. I just wait for the next guy.

Next contact was here in 10 minutes.
A young couple starting out and happy as could be with their new found treasure.
I helped load and they strapped it to the top of their soccer van.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Boot, you nailed FB Marketplace EXACTLY :lol:

Something new that I have been seeing lately really cracks me up. People selling used lumber, or fencing, or whatever...you get to pay for it AND you get to go tear the junk down on their property and haul it away for them. I was looking for some cheap fencing for a hog pen...some of the stuff people was selling (for barely less than new prices) appeared to have been installed 20 years ago, and was so horrifically overgrown that you would have needed a bulldozer to get it out. I was also looking for some free or cheap scrap lumber for one of my 12 year olds to practice with so he would leave my good lumber alone. There was several listings for used lumber that was a rotted, falling down, overgrown, snake and wasp infested old storage building that you had to pay to tear down and haul off...with little to no useable wood left.
dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Post by dwilliams »

GLHS60 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:22 pm I stopped putting my phone # in ads years ago.
I keep a $10 dispos-a-phone and buy minutes as needed; that's one of the things I use it for. And I use throwaway freemail addresses for the same reasons.

Any more, the hassle involved with selling things, either online or local, has become so annoying I've been throwing perfectly good stuff, some of it probably worth money to the right buyer, in the scrap pile or trash. That's what it's worth to me not having to deal with some idiot who never shows up, or shows up two hours late, or shows up and wants to re-negotiate the agreed-upon price, or...
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Wont do FB no time for all the strangeness on there

Few responses to stuff on CL but the ones I do get...not one person calls. EVery few weeks "still got it?" no call.
One did answer an ad for a freezer (ad said you load wont deliver) after a few exchanges told me she cant fit it in her car so shes out.
Gotta be kidding?

Think some just wanna pretend to buy chit that gets thier rocks off.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I am almost convinced that most people don't read the ads only look at the pictures. Today had a question on valves that I have listed on a site asking if they were std. Length or +.100 . The title clearly stated they were +.300 and I gave the overall lenght. I dont know how much clearer it could be. Dan
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Just remember the people calling or texting you VOTE TOO #-o
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I'm thinning out my motorcycle herd and get some real winner replies...The ad say "may consider a trade for a vehicle, no sleds, boats, ATV's or family sedans please"...So guess what they offer for trade..And the people who call and want details, then never show up... All part of the game...I've had decent results with CL and local Facebook Marketplace.I like market place because they use Messenger and I can see their profile...I also like to met a potential buyer in a public place and not at my house..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire