Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

emsvitil
Pro
Pro
Re: Ya know your getting old when you remember

Post by emsvitil »

When you went to every NEW James Bond movie (second week to avoid the lines).

Now you don't even remember the last one you've seen (even on TV)
Ed
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Things I recall from when I was a kid......

In town...... Horse rings on poles around the county courthouse in the middle of the town square. The old movie theatre just off the town square...... The only air conditioned building in town.

At school...... Terrazzo floors, steam radiators, high ceilings with ceiling fans, transoms and double hung windows. 5 minutes after class time, the teacher locked the door and if you were late to class, you missed class and were marked absent. More than once, I shinnied up the metal downspout and climbed in the window. The windows were open in hot weather, no A/C in school in those days.

If you wore out your shoes and couldn't afford to have them resoled, you put cardboard in them to cover the hole and went to school. Shirts had to be tucked in and you had to wear a belt. No tee shirts. Shirts had to have collars and button up. Haircuts and shaves (if needed) were required. Get caught with smokes on you and it was a trip to see the principal.

Ink wells at our desks (we used fountain pens, ball point pens only came along about the time I began high school). Yardsticks the teachers carried to whack your knuckles if you spoke without permission in class or wrote with your left hand. The 3 ft. long paddle hewn from a 2 X 6 with holes drilled in it that the teachers, coaches, and principal used for attitude adjustment if you screwed up.

10 licks was the max and taking licks was optional. If you declined, you went to the principal and he gave you a 3 day suspension and parents had to accompany you back to school for a meeting with the principal before you were reinstated and allowed to rejoin your class. No making up work missed whilst on suspension nor retaking missed tests. 2nd offense was a week's suspension. 3rd - they kicked you out of school for good and you couldn't come back to any school in that school district. Ever.

70 was a passing grade. 69.9 grade average or lower in any subject and you repeated the grade. No rounding up. No exceptions. And no extra credit work like my sons had in the '80s. Everything you missed unless absent due to illness was entered as a zero and if it caused you to have to attend summer school or repeat a grade, that was too bad.

At home...... Low water crossings (AKA Irish bridges). Priming the pump and carrying water to the house in buckets. Face bowls and chamber pots. Washing up in Winter...... Top half one week, bottom half the following week. You were considered well to do if you had real scratchy wipe instead of tearing pages from old magazines to wipe your arse. Our kitchen was about 20 ft. away from the main house so the house wouldn't burn down if the kitchen caught fire. Had to carry firewood to the kitchen and carry the food over to the house in cast-iron pots when done. My girlfriend's grandma had indoor plumbing. Had a windmill to run the pump and an above ground cistern on stilts with open top and the bottom was at roof level. Climbed up there once and saw all the dead birds floating in it. Never took another drink at her grandma's place. :shock:

The good old days......

Harry
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Cheapest I ever bought regular gasoline was down in Jackson, Miss. on the square back in something like '68 or so.

They had a gas war going on and I paid 18 cents a gallon to top my new '67 Camaro off.

Back home it was like 25 cents a gallon.

pdq67
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

My first motor vehicle was a Schwinn that I mounted a 1 HP B&S on when I was 12. It had a one quart fuel tank and I'd pedal into the local full service station with a dry tank, tell the gas jockey to "fill'er up!' and when the pump clicked off at nine cents I'd flip him a dime and say "Keep the change" :D
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm My first motor vehicle was a Schwinn that I mounted a 1 HP B&S on when I was 12. It had a one quart fuel tank and I'd pedal into the local full service station with a dry tank, tell the gas jockey to "fill'er up!' and when the pump clicked off at nine cents I'd flip him a dime and say "Keep the change" :D
Bill,

Every time I watch a Murdoch Mysteries episode I cannot help thinking that it is a documentary of your previous life. :lol:
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Talking about locomotive powered trains.

I read sometime ago about the last run a couple of engineers got to take when one of the last BIG steam units was taken out of service!

Seems the Boss said on the QT that since it was it's last run, ta, "let her have her head", so they did.

Full train and it broke speed records. I want to say 98 mph??

I wish I could find the thread?

pdq67
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:15 pm
MadBill wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm My first motor vehicle was a Schwinn that I mounted a 1 HP B&S on when I was 12. It had a one quart fuel tank and I'd pedal into the local full service station with a dry tank, tell the gas jockey to "fill'er up!' and when the pump clicked off at nine cents I'd flip him a dime and say "Keep the change" :D
Bill,

Every time I watch a Murdoch Mysteries episode I cannot help thinking that it is a documentary of your previous life. :lol:
Well the Murdoch character, Yannick Bisson, does have a cottage not far from me, but apart from that plus having the handsome and dapper thing going, I have kids his age and more and no one pays big bucks to watch me work... :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:54 pm
Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:15 pm Bill,

Well the Murdoch character, Yannick Bisson, does have a cottage not far from me, but apart from that plus having the handsome and dapper thing going, I have kids his age and more and no one pays big bucks to watch me work... :)
Samantha just came in and told me that you, errr Murdoch, invented the rear-view mirror. =D>
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

In 1955 I was 8 and flew to Florida from NJ with my dad on a business trip....Airplanes had piston engines and sitting by the wing the red hot exhaust pipes could be seen when the cowl flaps were open during takeoff.....once the plane was at cruising altitude, the pilot, cigarette in hand, strolled down the aisle chatting with passangers....
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Yes pdq finding history on memories can be a bit vexing. My mention of the SAR 520 Northern class loco was also a bit personal as well. When we were first year apprentices in 71 one of our tasks was polishing the con rods of 520 in contribution to its restoration which was progressing in the main erecting shop at Islington. On completion of the restoration some time in 72 I recall the first steam up of the locomotive at the back of the works, we were walking to our respective shops and could see and hear the loco building steam while sitting alone there in the early light morning.
The engine was test run that day on the main line at the back of the works, all the employees [thousands in those days] were all allowed to go out and watch, the loco was backed up to a point where it could switch lines then given its head, the sight of that thing hammering past the works with the loco foreman of that time driving it with his head out and hair straight back sticks with me to today.

Cheers.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Harry,

If I remember right, my wife and I and some of her family went to the Depot in Moberly, MO in 1969 and watched Ike's funeral train come through town.

Its been a while... The old Wabash/Norfolk and Western line.

The Depot in the middle of town is long gone. It got hit by a storm and had asbestos in it so nobody wanted to pony up the money to restore it back then. Sad, the RR Town that Moberly was..

pdq67