learner1
Corona

Post by learner1 »

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Corona

Post by pdq67 »

Seems there is a bunch of people interested in this.

https://gensix.com/?mc_cid=9d014c7f02&mc_eid=45d526b566

My Buddy Doc sent it to me.

pdq67
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

corona is a nasty beer. 8)
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

We are keeping an eye on the Coronavirus here. 4 or 5 cases in the Houston area as of this morning. All were on a trip to Egypt and returned together. Several others on that trip have self quarantined and are working from home. The good news is that all these people contracted it overseas and so far, we haven't seen it passed from person to person here in Houston. At least so far.

From what I have been able to learn of it...... This virus is highly contagious, more so than the flu. But is much less lethal...... Less likely to kill you than the flu.

My suspicion is that this all began as a biological weapon that either accidentally (or perhaps intentionally) got loose. Same as SARS and MERS.

In any case, the Democrats and their gloom and doom co-conspirators in the media are doing all they can to weaponize the Coronavirus and use it as a political weapon to generate panic in their attempts at crashing the economy and the stock market. All a part of their continuing efforts to nullify the votes of 63 million Americans and replace the president with one of their hate America crowd.

Yet one more thing I will never forgive them for. My list grows daily. Democrat political operatives are without a doubt the most despicable bunch of SOBs I have ever run across. And that's saying something, for I've run across some real losers (liars, cheats and thieves) in my 72 years on this earth.

Hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes etc. are in short supply here due in large part to the media alarmists. And there have been cases of price gouging (both in store an online sales) which the governor and attorney general are looking into. I understand that a popular tequila here (Tito's) is being used by some as a hand sanitizer. TV news said to keep in mind that you need at least 60% alcohol content to kill the virus and Tito's Handmade Tequila has only 40% alcohol.

Image So drink the tequila and consider Everclear for hand washing, y'all.......

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/veri ... 6b5301a2a7

That's all I've got thus far except that some of the larger corporations have had the good sense to allow employees to work from home via computer. My wife does this 1 day a week as it is. I hope her employer will consider doing so, as well. Besides helping stop the potential spread of this virus, it would save her the hassle, stress and expense of a 1 to 1-1/2 hr. commute to work each way.

Best regards to all,

Harry
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Spot-on, Harry!!

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Well, my wife's employers have wisely told their staff of 1,465 in the Houston area today to telecommute from home until further notice. They have over 6,900 employees in 40 countries worldwide and have already taken similar measures at their offices in Santa Clara, California, Hong Kong and much of Europe.

Here is the CDC website dealing with the Wuhan Coronavirus for those who wish to keep up with the latest information on this subject......

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html

Best regards and good health to all,

Harry
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Both sides have their faults in this problem. Not enough done in advance and too much blame & trying to take advantage of it. I think we could see a power grab shortly, they may claim Trump is unfit and try to remove him. China is already trying to shift blame to the US. Worst case scenario it destabilizes the country so bad we go into civil war and China militarily aids the dems to take over. Been saying for years China is the problem and Russia is the scapegoat.

China stats can't be trusted, we can see from Italy it probably was much worse and sticking your fingers in your ears and saying lalala isn't gonna work. It sucks the economy has been damaged but this has been in the making and it may get a lot worse. A service type economy like we have will be devastated by a very contagious/resilient virus and the change to a isolationist society. If it is to be believed from FOX that a China paper said that a test animal bit a worker at the china bio lab, then it has been possibly designed to be hard tah stop.

The REAL problem is not now, it's the long term fall out. Many feel they are safe and selfishly don't care about the spread. I have worked in enough food and health jobs to see the absolute disregard for procedures to stop the spread of illness. Many don't care, are too lazy or feel if they gotta get it then so should everyone else. The younger generation especially so! Even with all the resent jobs many are low wage and have no choice but to work, bills gotta be paid and even if you give them $ some will still want to double dip. I could go on & on bout how people will fail to prevent the spread but I don't think trying is pointless or giving up is the answer.

The Virus has supposedly a 1-4% death rate, depending on who ever stats you believe. It has been funny to see them downplay it and boost flu stats to make it seem like no big deal. I looked into it back when I herd just as it started and saw this coming. At this point it's almost guarantied we will all get it at some point. And then we will again and again and so on.... That is the possible long term effect! Every year 1-4% will die. Those who survive it one time may not the next because they caught another common illness, had a severe injury or developed a health issue. A vaccine will reduce it but some years it may be worse or ineffective just like the flu. Life expectancy, could be changed to the Corona limit.

Enjoy summer, I predict we'll see a mass move to the south in the near future.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Even if they closed all borders and stopped all air/bus/train mass travel, it'll still spread through out the entire country. Once a few hundred die in one area/city others will flee and take it with them. First it'll be cities, then the outer areas as they realize no city is safe. We could see small towns closing themselves off just like in China. Still even then once things calm down(summer) and people relax it'll be back(Fall). People will continue to lie to themselves or let others mislead them, Just like Russia Russia Russia LOL maybe the MSM will blame them for the start of it.

It could spur a push for more automation manufacturing as well. The economy will defiantly be up n down as we try to adjust.

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Link to press conference Friday on Wuhan Coronavirus and countermeasures, executive actions taken......

My best guess is that this will take 3...... Possibly 4 months to run its course.

My wife and I went to the store to pick up a few things this evening. 2 stores, actually...... HEB and Krogers. It was positively surreal. Panic buying had left empty shelves. No toilet paper, no paper towels, no milk, no eggs, no bottled water, no hand sanitizer, no dish soap, no hydrogen peroxide, no 90% alcohol for sterilizing and little of anything else for that matter. It was then that I began to realize the effect the alarmist media is having in spreading fear and divisiveness amongst those who apparently still give them credence.

On a lighter note, I overheard a man remarking to his wife of the empty shelves at the grocery store...... 'This looks like the food shortages in the Soviet Union!' And his wife who seemed to be in shock, answered...... 'My G-d! Has Bernie won the election?'

Later...... My wife turned to me with a puzzled look as we waited in the checkout line with the few items we were able to find (a couple frozen pizzas and 4 frozen Tabachnik soups)...... 'Why are people buying up all the toilet paper?' I told her...... 'They are scared, Baby. If anyone coughs on them, they'll probably sh*t themselves.' She thought about that a moment and said...... 'I think you are right. They have lost their minds.'

Best regards,

Harry
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I was out picking up a prescription this morning at a super Walmart.
Totally amazing.
No toilet paper, bottled water or canned goods.
No ramen noodles, no pasta, almost no cold cuts, hot dogs, etc.
I did have a chuckle though.
On the 100 ft long water shelving, empty of course was a sign that said due to demand only 2 cases per customer.
Nuthin from Nuthin leaves nuthin. :lol:

All this in spite of there are no known Chinese flu cases in our area. :?: :?:

I really don't understand the toilet paper and water shortage.
Around here we have a great and ample water supply.
I looked up Charmin and it appears to be made here in the states.
Did everyone assume it was made in China?

I guess some are heeding the hunker down message.
Traffic in the mall land business area was really light for a Saturday morning. No waiting.

While sales are through the roof I am beginning to feel sorry for the Walmart purchase agents.
They have a good supply chain system but it was never set up to refill this kind of madness.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Right now it's popping up in a few counties in my state.
Maybe in a week it'll be local.
Two weeks it could be every county in the state
Three to four weeks people will be sick long enough to start dying
Four to six weeks people will be dying everyday

When the local news reports several dead local each day people will freak out! All across the country, the states who are in earlier phases prob more so.

Hope I'm wrong but this follows the trend set by other countries. We have a large elderly population.

edit: The China numbers were crap Italy shows a much higher death count for a much smaller population

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Coronavirus vaccines in the works......

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... ccine.html

HB

P.S. >>> My wife has a link to info regarding 5 Chinese scientists and doctors who have either been 'disappeared' or murdered recently for speaking out about how this Wuhan coronavirus was developed and how it got out into the general population. We have to make a run to Lowe's for grade 8 flat washers now but I'll see if I can get the link from her and post it here following our return. Youngest son is here visiting. His 350 engine has been stored in my garage for the past 20 plus years and we are finally getting it together. We have the AFR heads torqued down and we are putting the valve train together now. We are not using pushrod guide plates and are using ARP rocker arm studs without the shoulder, but I want a thin hardened flat washer under them so as not to chew up the aluminum when we torque the studs down. Be back in a bit.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

OK, we got the valve train installed and valve lash is set. That was interesting. Seems the AFR heads have no chamfer at tops of threaded holes the rocker studs screw into. And even though we have the ARP rocker studs that have no unthreaded shoulder beneath the hex head...... They would not screw in all the way when trial fitting by hand. Checked thread depth in heads and they were plenty deep (we were not bottoming the stud). Turns out that we needed to use 2 of the thin grade 8 flat washers under each rocker stud. These hardened washers are very thin and two of them together are probably around 0.012" thick at most. So we did it that way and everything went well.

If you are wondering why we did not use the pushrod guide plates...... My son's engine was a new L31 350 Vortec truck engine when we bought it from GM in the late '90s. Its been stored in my garage ever since. Over the years, we have sold the iron Vortec heads to some circle track guys and will now be running AFR heads along with a mild CompCams hydraulic roller cam (one of their Xtreme 4X4 grinds, 210/214 deg. @ 0.050" ground on 111 deg. LSA). Used timing gears and chain for GM ZZ4, replaced L31 plastic timing cover with a stamped steel timing cover. Since this engine will be going into his street driven '92 Camaro and the cam has less than 0.500" lift (0.474"), we elected to retain the factory Vortec self-guided stamped steel rocker arms rather than replace them with roller rockers and have to worry about the needle bearings on the end that rides on the valve stem coming apart in 50,000 - 60,000 miles. So we ended up using the ARP rocker studs, factory rockers, Crane Kool Nut poly-locks and CompCams thick wall 5/16" hardened steel pushrods that are about 0.150" longer than the L31 pushrods. Geometry looks good, so we set valve lash and called it a night.

Regarding the article on the missing Chinese whistle blowers and the 1 who died under suspicious circumstances a few days after the Chinese government 'visited' him and coerced a confession under duress...... My wife sent me the link but I cannot open it (security and ad blocker issues), so will wait to post it until I can read it first. Y'all stay safe now and don't let the media alarmists steal your joy. :wink:

Best regards,

Harry
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

I must apologize for not responding more fully regarding posting the link I mentioned yesterday. I am not feeling well and just need to rest now. Will write again when I feel up to it.

FWIW...... As of 10 minutes ago, all restaurants and bars within the unincorporated limits of Harris County, Texas and City of Houston are on notice from Mayor of Houston and the Harris County Judge that there will be no dining in. Only take out and drive through operations. No social gatherings over 10 people. These restrictions are for duration of 15 days and will be extended if needed.

Drive through Corona virus testing sites are being set up in the Houston area for those with symptoms. When they are operational in about a week and a half, results may be expected within 1 to 2 days.

Stay well and all the best to you and yours,

Harry
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

The fact that there are studies that show fecal matter on your average smartphone is proof alone that this virus is uncontainable. Sure most places have no-phones & wash your hands rules but no1 follows the rules, who's got time for that! Washing your hands as much as required makes them dry, I've seen food workers and nurses both say that's why they don't do it. Or use an excuse like doctors don't wash there hands when they shake a patient hand that is in isolation so why should I! That's from a city hospital that I know will just spread the virus, just like they did scabies from a ER patient that was in the Nero ward. 17 nurses were sent home and the entire floor was on lock down a week later. Another local hospital has a legionnaires problem.