Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Re: Corona

Post by enigma57 »

:shock: Jeez! Enough with the negative waves, Moriarity! The sky is not falling and its not the end of the world. We've all gotten through hard times before and we will do so again......

HB
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Great movie! I'm not being negative, being realistic!

This virus will change life as we know it, exactly how is yet to be seen. Like I said most will survive it the 1st time but there will still be enough deaths to panic people more. Could be a year or decades before they neutralize it. I only hope we adapt to the changes in our economy quick enough so many don't suffer but our gov is anything but efficient so I doubt it. Dems got what they wanted and then some!
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Dems got what they wanted and then some!
Sad, but true. The political opportunists are no doubt whirling dirvishes this evening merrily doing the dance macabre as I type this. Kinda makes you wonder if there is a link to the source of this biological warfare agent (Wuhan Coronavirus) and crashing the stock market and world economy...... That is to say, a link between those who developed and deployed the virus (the ChiComs) and those who stand to benefit most from it here Stateside (the anti-Trumpers).

Both have common interests...... Destroying America, bringing down the Trump administration, using the virus as a pretext to initiate pseudo-martial law measures to suspend Americans' constitutional rights, even seize Americans' property (the usual opportunistic power grab and money grab Democrat and 'establishment' Republican political operatives engage in whenever there is a crisis to be exploited).

Just sayin'......

Harry
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Tens of thousands die from opioids each year due to big Pharm & corrupt politicians and we get sweeping reform over a few e-cig deaths cause big tobacco can use the mandated money they spend. For anti cigs towards that instead and it protects what profits they still have. Another example of why it's unstoppable the system won't allow it, the right pockets must be lined first and even then a lot of profits for some to treat it, so they don't care.

Grasping at straws...

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

We need more common sense in a world gone mad. Thanks to all who have retained their perspective! Glad to hear that you and yours are well there. We are doing well here.

I am beginning to feel better. Resting a lot. Hydrating. We had baked potatoes (comfort food) this evening. Will put on a crock pot of good food tomorrow or the next day. Missing a few ingredients to make my 'special recipe', but we'll manage.

Wife has agreed to resume watching reruns of Dark Shadows, but she always wants to watch an episode of Hogans Heroes beforehand. So we are doing that now. Its the episode where a barrel of heavy water is being sent to Berlin from Norway for nuclear experiments. Hogan has Klink convinced that its from the Fountain of Youth and will grow hair on Klink's head. So Klink and Schultz are conspiring to steal the barrel of heavy water and Hogan and his P.O. W.'s are going to switch barrels and steal it from Klink.

Cheryl is younger than I and has some way to find these things on her computer and project them on our TV screen. We unplugged 20 years ago. No satellite and no cable...... Just have a flat antenna (high tech rabbit ears) and what we access from the internet. I have no idea how she projects the computer sourced TV re-runs and movies onto our TV. I'm 72. Computers are a mystery to me. My advice to single guys...... Marry a younger woman. They'll either keep you young or kill you. And either way, you'll go out with a smile when your time here is done.

Don't concern yourselves with amateurs buying guns and ammo. Maybe the thought of that will scare the bad guys 'straight'. For a while. Kind of like race car drivers who feel safer on a race track with other professionals and are rightly nervous when they must drive on the open road with 'amateurs'. The good news...... Taking a life to save lives is pretty heavy. When the moment of truth arrives, there is a good chance amateurs will freeze. And if anyone sends hot lead your way, you should be better prepared to respond. Be merciful. Shoot to kill. Don't make them suffer.

SITREP Harris County, Texas....... Today, the local St. Paddy's Day parade was cancelled (in fairness, we never had an Orangeman's parade here, but if we had of, it would be cancelled as well). All dining areas and bars are closed here (anyone who wants booze will have to go to a liquor store or grocery store that sells it if they can find one that has any left) and restaurants are doing only take out, drive through or delivery if available. No public gatherings over 10 people. All churches and synagogues are closed (some of the larger ones have video that parishioners can tune into), schools closed, all courts are closed, trials and jury duty are suspended.

Best regards to all,

Harry
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Excellent presentation. Thanks, BOOT! Good that all understand why so much effort is going towards keeping as many people as possible 'under the curve' so we have sufficient resources for treatment and do not overwhelm the system with so many becoming ill at the same time.

Best regards,

Harry
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

My wife works as a nurse in intensive care. Believe me that this disease is a serious threat. It's extremely contageous and kills a lot of people (and not only old people).
We are effectively in lockdown and hospitals have been given triage rules when there is too much influx of patients that they cannot all treat. Looks a lot like a situation in a war zone.

Stay safe & stay healthy.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks, Belgian1979. Appreciate your perspective on this. We are probably a few weeks behind Europe here regarding the stage of development and I hope our healthcare system will be adequate when many more come down with the virus here. Tests are just now becoming available here for those who have symptoms. And as soon as results are in, a sharp increase is expected for those who test positive. That is to be expected.

The President noted in his remarks today that the Wuhan virus could have been contained in China if the Chinese government had been transparent about the situation and addressed it early on rather than spending several months denying there was a problem until it had spread abroad. But what is done...... Is done. And now we must all do what is necessary to get through this as best we can.

Wishing you and yours good health and all the best,

Harry
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Hm, rumours here say that the virus got spread through all of those Chinese tourists in Italy. Then a lot of people from all over Europe went skying in Italy during one of the school holidays. From then on, it spread like a wildfire.
If it really were Chinese tourists this means that they already had it at that time and before the widespread measures in China. This also means that the problem is much more widespread than currently is being admitted.

Anyways, the only way to contain it will be to try to reduce the movement of people. I can tell you one thing, it's not pleasant to be grounded at home.

As for symptoms, it's difficult to assess. Everybody who even slightly coughs thinks they contracted it. Hell, I even have a slight cough, so nobody is at ease.
Subsequently everybody is in a panic that there will not be enough food (and toilet paper :lol: ) and everybody is robbing the shops empty.

Meanwhile, in Italy, they had to send military convoys to get all the dead out of Bergamo to get incinerated elsewhere.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

nm...

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

The next stage is acceptance, it's to hard or to much of an inconvenience. People will decide they can live with the amount that will die, it won't effect them as much as the bad economy. Just be sure to write down in the history books that "We Tried"(not really).

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Well, Monday was an interesting day here. Our area was to be under a 'stay at home' order except for necessary trips to work, to bring in provisions or to address medical issues. As it turned out, the County Judge has postponed issuing that order until Tuesday morning......

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 151465.php

However, we were unaware of the postponement, so my wife worked from home via computer and I spent much of the day reading and learning about the pros and cons of removing the damper from valve springs. Natural harmonics occurring in multiples of resonance frequency, free vibration and forced vibration, etc. And various reasons valve springs break at times. Time well spent.

:D Old dog learning new tricks here,

Harry
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

=D>