Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Protected Coyotes in California

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

HS Nova wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 pm Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats.
I recently watched a cat many times run across the street in the evenings and go under some low shrubs.

I figure it was catching supper as the little birds were going to roost for the night!!

pdq67
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:16 pm
I recently watched a cat many times run across the street in the evenings and go under some low shrubs.

I figure it was catching supper as the little birds were going to roost for the night!!

pdq67
It was probably taking a dump.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back to birds being killed!

How many chickens are slaughtered each year that we eat??

As well as turkeys around the holidays?

I do know that back when we lived on a farm, I have rung many chicken necks and then plucked them for Mom to cook for Sunday dinner.

Umm, Umm, GOOD!!

pdq67
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:09 am Back to birds being killed!

How many chickens are slaughtered each year that we eat??

As well as turkeys around the holidays?

I do know that back when we lived on a farm, I have rung many chicken necks and then plucked them for Mom to cook for Sunday dinner.

Umm, Umm, GOOD!!

pdq67
I was raised with chickens as well. Nothing like fresh chicken without all the steroids pumped in them.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

Dad would snap necks and Mom would pluck the feathers and make the best chicken soup. Nothing like fresh chicken without all the steroids pumped in them.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:09 am Back to birds being killed!
The chickens would kill mice too and I even witnessed them kill a turtle that somehow made it to our property.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:16 pm
HS Nova wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 pm Predation by domestic cats is the number-one direct, human-caused threat to birds in the United States and Canada. In the United States alone, outdoor cats kill approximately 2.4 billion birds every year. Although this number may seem unbelievable, it represents the combined impact of tens of millions of outdoor cats.

pdq67
Unlikely. Most times a cat does not consume the victim of its "kill".
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Last edited by HS Nova on Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

You would think they kill birds because they are hungry. Cat's think they are entitled :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

We have chicken,egg layers, not meat birds..They are predatory, and as said kill mice and small reptiles.
I'm no crazy cat lover but we have always had a cat and property for the cat to patrol. Most often killed were rodents, mice, chipmunks and squirrels. The cats ate the rodents...The only bird killer was a female cat that spent more time indoors than outside. She did not eat the birds.
A large population of feral cats can upset the balance of prey available for natural predators. Additionally, feral cats live in colonies. rather than solitary . Colonies can spread disease and the restricted gene pool leads to cognitive development issues..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

We have chickens ,egg layers, not meat birds..They are predatory, and as said kill mice and small reptiles.
I'm no crazy cat lover but we have always had a cat and property for the cat to patrol. Most often killed were rodents, mice, chipmunks and squirrels. The cats ate the rodents...The only bird killer was a female cat that spent more time indoors than outside. She did not eat the birds.
A large population of feral cats can upset the balance of prey available for natural predators. Additionally, feral cats live in colonies rather than solitary . Colonies can spread disease and the restricted gene pool leads to cognitive development issues
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

in the last couple years wild boars have started to become a problem here in Saskatchewan where I live. I shot a couple of them. The government wants rid of them, hunters want them to stay around and land owners are on the fence. They are all descendants of wild boar farms that went broke 20 years ago and just released them or they escaped. Nobody thought they could survive the Canadian winters, they can.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Fwiw, feral hogs are in south MO tearing up everything! They have come up from the south.

And armadillos are as far north as Monroe City, MO! If not farther north now?

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

pdq67 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:17 am ...

And armadillos are as far north as Monroe City, MO! If not farther north now?

pdq67

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!