Machine shop ban thru loose wording?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

The Iron Icon
Machine shop ban thru loose wording?

Post by The Iron Icon »

Don't know if I can even post this so remove if not allowed but thought like the EPA trying to outlaw car modifications this was up there in stuff that would affect our livelihoods.

https://www.guns.com/news/2020/07/06/co ... -machinery

The way they word the legislature, stuff as simple as a vertical mill or rod hone could be outlawed.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Machine shop ban thru loose wording?

Post by Kevin Johnson »

The Iron Icon wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:29 pm Don't know if I can even post this so remove if not allowed but thought like the EPA trying to outlaw car modifications this was up there in stuff that would affect our livelihoods.

The way they word the legislature, stuff as simple as a vertical mill or rod hone could be outlawed.
You mean a mortar hone?

No more rifle-drilling with lathes.

"Twisty curly maker" in newspeak.

Multiple Rocket Launcher
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

It's all our fault for talking about grenaded engines and HOT honning.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:46 pm
The Iron Icon wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:29 pm Don't know if I can even post this so remove if not allowed but thought like the EPA trying to outlaw car modifications this was up there in stuff that would affect our livelihoods.

You mean a mortar hone?

No more rifle-drilling with lathes.

"Twisty curly maker" in newspeak.

Multiple Rocket Launcher
Why do you guys think that I brought up daily reading of both the Federal Register and the CFR!!

These as*holes try to squeeze this shit by us every chance they get!!

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

The same idiots who want to do this want to ban cars. And kill energy production. So why would we need machinery to work on cars or fuel to power them when cars will no longer exist if people are stupid enough to vote these fools into office. Elections have consequences. Remember that and VOTE in November (for somebody else, ANYBODY else)!

Just sayin'......

HB
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Is that part of the Bill that would ban a homeowner from owning any tools that are deemed as commercial or for business purposes?

I heard they were trying to crack down on homeowners that they think are running a business out of their garage.

Tools like an air impact gun, a welder, drill press , small parts cleaner etc would not be allowed for purchase unlesss you had a business license. And those who own them already, would be getting a visit from an official
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

This could turn into our NEXT industry, right after the HEALTH INDUSTRY!

As well as Public Safety!! --- Dammed, "red-light cameras", and, "license plate readers", are examples here as well as a bunch of other sh*t!! I finally realized that there are cameras everywhere, and just who paid for them???

Think about this for a bit!!

We aren't really creating wealth nowadays, but rather just moving money back and forth between the middle class that has some and our GOV. through Taxation!!

Just think how big the, "DOLE", Industry is that you and I pay for!!

Remember!!

"Papers Please, Papers Please!!!

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://raskin.house.gov/sites/raskin.h ... %20Act.pdf

"firearms, ammunition, or firearm manufacturing machine"

Plenty of shooting hobbyists reload their own shells to try to keep the costs down.

These points alone will directly impact many people.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

somewhere I viewed a vid of an old man over in the M/E case hardening a frame for a handgun like 1911-A1 using a coffee can filled with burning charcoal..

He made the lower using a file if not mistaken..

Next thing you know is that THEY will be taxing us by the length of our Johnsons!!

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Hey, McConnell, I resemble that!

:lol:
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Well Kev,

At 73 y/o, my Johnson is like 1-1/2"s long so no worries there!!

I figure THEY may be prospecting for, "Ghost Guns"???

People better go buy a couple more SKS's or AK-47's and spam cans of ammo before THEY figure out how to stop us..

And don't forget about getting a, "reach out and touch somebody", gun like an old Mosin Nagant 7.62 x 54R.. Sucker has killed more people than probably all the rest of the military guns in the world combined! AND I think they still should be relatively CHEAP to buy.

Carbines and rifles...

pdq67
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:25 am Is that part of the Bill that would ban a homeowner from owning any tools that are deemed as commercial or for business purposes?

I heard they were trying to crack down on homeowners that they think are running a business out of their garage.

Tools like an air impact gun, a welder, drill press , small parts cleaner etc would not be allowed for purchase unlesss you had a business license. And those who own them already, would be getting a visit from an official
I've been trying to get as much info on it as possible and right now there's not much but it does seem to take that vibe. The problem with that interpretation is what happens when I decide to shut down my shop to the public and just play with my personal cars? Am I not allowed after business shuts down to own the equipment? I was talking to a welding friend of mine about this and technically you could make a machine to do some of the primary stuff they want to get rid of with some 2x4, some tape, a drill, and maybe a paper clip......hell let's go remove mcgyver from the tv!

However the good news. It seems like this will be a DOA bill. Seems like it's in the very early stages and backed by a few groups and just 2 congressmen, if everyone would just spread the news about what the bill says I don't think there would be a chance it goes thru in it's current fourm.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Remember!!

"Papers please, Papers please!!"..

And I am as serious as a heart attack!!

pdq67
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

The Iron Icon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am
gmrocket wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:25 am Is that part of the Bill that would ban a homeowner from owning any tools that are deemed as commercial or for business purposes?

I've been trying to get as much info on it as possible and right now there's not much but it does seem to take that vibe. The problem with that interpretation is what happens when I decide to shut down my shop to the public and just play with my personal cars? Am I not allowed after business shuts down to own the equipment? I was talking to a welding friend of mine about this and technically you could make a machine to do some of the primary stuff they want to get rid of with some 2x4, some tape, a drill, and maybe a paper clip......hell let's go remove mcgyver from the tv!

However the good news. It seems like this will be a DOA bill. Seems like it's in the very early stages and backed by a few groups and just 2 congressmen, if everyone would just spread the news about what the bill says I don't think there would be a chance it goes thru in it's current fourm.
True...the problem with us gear heads is some of us hate talking politics and bury our heads in the sand until it’s too late..then ask why didn’t they know?

And this is political, no two ways about it.

We are going through the same thing here..home depot and stores were forced to give the government ALL of their customers purchase history and personal information as the government want to investigate who and what purchases seem excessive for one homeowner..looking for people doing work for others and them not getting taxes

Home Depot fought it in court for years, but did end up losing last year. The government in power at he time it started was not friendly to personal freedom or private information rights

It also happened to HVAC supplies..you cannot buy a part to repair your own furnace or a/c unless you have an HVAC licence.

If we don’t fight it....we will lose and have the government breathing down our backs and doing suprise home inspections

We cant keep shutting down debates on this stuff
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:41 pm
The Iron Icon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am

True...the problem with us gear heads is some of us hate talking politics and bury our heads in the sand until it’s too late..then ask why didn’t they know?

And this is political, no two ways about it.

We are going through the same thing here..home depot and stores were forced to give the government ALL of their customers purchase history and personal information as the government want to investigate who and what purchases seem excessive for one homeowner..looking for people doing work for others and them not getting taxes

Home Depot fought it in court for years, but did end up losing last year. The government in power at he time it started was not friendly to personal freedom or private information rights

It also happened to HVAC supplies..you cannot buy a part to repair your own furnace or a/c unless you have an HVAC licence.

If we don’t fight it....we will lose and have the government breathing down our backs and doing suprise home inspections

We cant keep shutting down debates on this stuff
I agree we need to keep this discussion open and civil and so far that's how it looks. What we need to do is look at this issue not as "pro gun or anti-gun" "left or right" but as a possible way to end how alot of us make our living or plan to make our living in my case. This could be crippling to machine shops big or small and hobbyists especially who end up making up a lot of work for the shops around me when they don't have the necessary equipment.

I'm already trying to get in touch with my contacts in the industry and spread awareness about this bill and what could happen with it. And I'd ask everyone else to do the same.

Just off the top of my head the immediate impact would be on people like

1. Machinist
2. Racing industry and hobbyist
3. Farmers(can't buy new parts all the time)
4. Profits for small auto repair would take a hit(worked as a supervisor for one awhile back and with out a machine shop we would have turned alot away.)
5. and in my opinion places who sell speed parts would go under pretty quick if that was there sole fourm of revenue.

So let's all remember the point of this topic is about the fact that in its current fourm this bill could make machines that are common among those in our field illegal! Let's not focus on the "guns are good/guns are bad" or the "I like my guy and your guy stinks" arguments because that gets us nowhere.
I do try to keep out of political stuff 99% of the time but this is part of that 1% where I voice my opinion.

So in closing my rant,

1. Tell your friends and customers and any contacts you may have within the industry about this bill and what it could mean for us, if we could get info out on this like what we did with the EPA and car mods law I think this would stop in it's tracks.
2.lets keep things civil so we can keep talking about this and any updates can be shared here.
3. I don't want to loose mcgyver