Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Swelling?

Post by pdq67 »

I'm usually bored as sh*t because of retirement so walk around a lot.

Just got back from walking around a, "square"?, block probably like a 1/2+ mile or so and as I sit here typing on the site, I notice that my hands and wrists are swelled up.

I figure just from them swinging as I walked.

Any problem with this that I might look into? (73 y/o!)..

pdq67
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Swelling?

Post by lefty o »

im no doctor, but id be talking to a doctor about that. to me, all the sudden swelling in limbs after going for a walk suggests to me a blood flow problem, as in it is not returning very well.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Thanks lefty-o,

I will watch this more closely than I have in the past.

I will say that I probably need to lose like 50 pounds or so.....

I've let myself get way over weight in my old age, not good! Probably up around 220/225 pounds and should be more like 175 or so..

Oh, right a 5'-8"s or so..

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back again.

I have noticed that my body's left side that I had a new complete hip put in that when it is warm to hot out and I am walking, that it bothers me to such an extent that my left side sweat's like a, "whore in Church"!! More-so than my right side..

I don't remember how long my new hip was/is supposed to last so it might be wearing out?? Need to check it...

I'm not all that concerned about my swelling but still want to watch it.

Sorry to bore everybody with my problems and I thank you all for bearing with me.

pdq67
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

i think your issues are definately worth at least a phone call to your doctor to see what he/she thinks.
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Hip

Post by pdq67 »

B20Paul wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:11 pm
pdq67 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:41 am I don't remember how long my new hip was/is supposed to last so it might be wearing out??
Is it the old TRW style? 10 years typically. There was a new metal on metal type that is very hit and miss, responsible for cobalt poising.
I forget the installation date so will have to dig it up.

It is a, "titanium, delrin, teflon", full hip joint.

It was funny because I almost couldn't walk and after the surgery, NO pain and I walked out of the Hospital!!

Never did have any pain????

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

lefty o wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:09 pm i think your issues are definately worth at least a phone call to your doctor to see what he/she thinks.
And he has multiple things to discuss.

Suggestion: Make a WRITTEN LIST and make sure the doctor reads it in front of you. Shut up while he/she is reading it.

I have caught multiple doctors who do not review patient files and depend on error filled high-speed scanning of records as they sit down in front of you.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

B20Paul wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:45 am ...
Kevin Johnson wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 pm Suggestion: Make a WRITTEN LIST and make sure the doctor reads it in front of you. Shut up while he/she is reading it.
X10!
Yesterday, Samantha visited a doctor who regularly has interns (young doctors in training) fielding appointments.

Samantha gave the intern the list.

The intern glanced at it.

She (the intern) then tried to suggest that Samantha use a drug that is contraindicated if the patient has had kidney issues: this means that she had not read Samantha's medical history.

She (the intern) expressed disbelief that a drug that Samantha was taking could cause hypoglycemia: this means that she was unfamiliar with one of the most commonly prescribed drugs at the medical practice.

Folks, you need to stay on your toes. Doctors are not Gods and Goddesses. They can and do make medical errors that can cause harm or death.

Edit: Having a list prepared and knowledge of your own medical history can allow you to quickly rate your doctor or doctor-wannabe. Not everyone graduated at the top of their class.

Edit 2: Samantha sat here while I was writing this. She brought up another recent issue. She was having an MRI and the doctor knew of her reduced kidney function so it was taken without contrast as the dye used can stress the kidneys. The technician did her very best to convince Samantha to have contrast right then and there because the images come out better. Yup. Doctor-wannabe.

Edit 3: A couple years back I was discharged from a local hospital and then re-admitted just two or three weeks later. They tried to run another MRI on my foot after just determining weeks prior that while the implant alloy was safe, it caused flaring in the image. This means that they did not check my records at all. They wheeled me down to the machine despite my protests until I talked to the techs, who I recognized, and reminded them of the previous results. #-o
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Kevin,

Funny, I just got through mowing 1/2 our corner lot yard and my hands aren't swelled up...

But I did sweat like a, "whore in Church"!!!

I'm figuring bloat here is all??

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

The real question is: did you use that watered down gas?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:31 pm
B20Paul wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:45 am ...
Kevin Johnson wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:33 pm Suggestion: Make a WRITTEN LIST and make sure the doctor reads it in front of you. Shut up while he/she is reading it.
X10!
Yesterday, Samantha visited a doctor who regularly has interns (young doctors in training) fielding appointments.

Samantha gave the intern the list.

The intern glanced at it.

She (the intern) then tried to suggest that Samantha use a drug that is contraindicated if the patient has had kidney issues: this means that she had not read Samantha's medical history.

She (the intern) expressed disbelief that a drug that Samantha was taking could cause hypoglycemia: this means that she was unfamiliar with one of the most commonly prescribed drugs at the medical practice.

Folks, you need to stay on your toes. Doctors are not Gods and Goddesses. They can and do make medical errors that can cause harm or death.

Edit: Having a list prepared and knowledge of your own medical history can allow you to quickly rate your doctor or doctor-wannabe. Not everyone graduated at the top of their class.

Edit 2: Samantha sat here while I was writing this. She brought up another recent issue. She was having an MRI and the doctor knew of her reduced kidney function so it was taken without contrast as the dye used can stress the kidneys. The technician did her very best to convince Samantha to have contrast right then and there because the images come out better. Yup. Doctor-wannabe.

Edit 3: A couple years back I was discharged from a local hospital and then re-admitted just two or three weeks later. They tried to run another MRI on my foot after just determining weeks prior that while the implant alloy was safe, it caused flaring in the image. This means that they did not check my records at all. They wheeled me down to the machine despite my protests until I talked to the techs, who I recognized, and reminded them of the previous results. #-o
you have luck getting medical treatment like i do. lately ive been on a sinus infection for 9 months, thanks to the piss poor treatment from the st cloud mn va hospital. not only the sinus infection, but they did so little for so long the lining of my brain has been infected and both my ears. remember folks, the VA is your second chance to die for your country! :(
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:56 pm The real question is: did you use that watered down gas?
Kevin,

Yes I did and it took like 5 or 6 restarts of my lawnmower to mow 1/2 my yard using starting fluid/ether to get her started. Not fun at all. I had to remove the plug, shoot a spritz of ether to her, reinstall the plug and go until the next time.

I will mow the other 1/2 tomorrow in the morning when it is cool.

Oh, and BTW, my plug was snow white!! Never had a snow white spark plug come out of any of my lawnmowers..

My old 22" recycled lawn mower worked great when the gas was fine..

I have three of them that I have recycled.

My 22", el- cheapo Murry or whatever from Walmart. Doc's Brother gave it to me!

A 21" Commercial steel deck Lawn Boy that my sister gave me with now, a 5hp B&S on it.

And an antique cast light weight magnesium deck Sears that again Doc's Brother gave me.. I forget if it is 18"s or 19"s ??, so whatever?? Sucker has to be at least 65 years old.

I bought off the web two new 3.75 hp B&S engines for two of them so I am go to go.

I bought the 5hp B&S engine from a local Farm and Home store years earlier because they were selling their B&S engine out. Shit, an engine when I bought them were like $125 or so plus S&H vs a new mower from W/W at like $140 or so!! A no brainer(SP?) by me.. My Lawn Boy has a 5hp B&S on it and the other two have 3.75hp B&S on them.

Heck, good gas and setting for say a year, they will start usually with one pull!! Can't beat this shit and all of them have done it for years.

I use the Lawn Boy for, "mulching", anything that I can push down/run over AND it does great.

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

lefty o wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 pm ...
you have luck getting medical treatment like i do. lately ive been on a sinus infection for 9 months, thanks to the piss poor treatment from the st cloud mn va hospital. not only the sinus infection, but they did so little for so long the lining of my brain has been infected and both my ears. remember folks, the VA is your second chance to die for your country! :(
I am sorry to hear that you are having to suffer through this.

Have they identified an antibiotic that is effective?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:44 am
lefty o wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 pm ...
I am sorry to hear that you are having to suffer through this.

Have they identified an antibiotic that is effective?
still working on it. went to a different va the other night, and they doubled the dose of the last med i was on which helped but wasnt enough to knock out the issue. hopefully in another day or two the fire inside my skull and ears goes away.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I got so bad one time that I went to a walk in Medi-Quik place and an old 1/2 retired Country Dr. treated me with 400 mg pills of Avelox/(Avalox) for my sinus infection along with 1200 mg pills of Guaifenesin to get it out of my head. Knocked the shit outta my problem.

BUT you got to get enough pills so that once it is knocked down, you keep taking them for a short while longer!

And I live with post nasal drip..

Good luck...

pdq67