Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Good book

Post by hoodeng »

Kev, just looked at some of the clips,,,looks like i will have to sit still for a while and watch it!

I like the bit about humans having no natural predators so the proliferation of those that could reproduce the most became the most common.
I liken it to natural selection,, where now we have that many laws and regulations so that idiots don't expose themselves to or can recognize danger as used to happen in the past. Mankind by and large got more intelligent just by those that could not recognize danger not lasting long, that is, until we protected the stupid......... Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

hoodeng wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:40 pm Kev, just looked at some of the clips,,,looks like i will have to sit still for a while and watch it!

I like the bit about humans having no natural predators so the proliferation of those that could reproduce the most became the most common.
I liken it to natural selection,, where now we have that many laws and regulations so that idiots don't expose themselves to or can recognize danger as used to happen in the past. Mankind by and large got more intelligent just by those that could not recognize danger not lasting long, that is, until we protected the stupid......... Not that there is anything wrong with that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Don't watch it too many times.There is a correlation between the number of times you have to watch it and one's naivety.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Just finished 'E Myth' by Gerber. Book on why small business's fail, fail to prosper or don't expand into a larger entity employing some or many.[it was mentioned in 'future of head porting] I was hoping to pick up even some operational or administrative tips applicable to me as in a self employed narrow task range occupation.

It was more about how to created a business operation and structure model, similar to those used by large franchise corporations like Mcdonald's, Fedex etc. Its relevance to our field of endeavor was limited [but still a very informative read] It was more about building a business that was not actually a part of us personally, and would be saleable and transferable to any person that was interested in it.

A lot of our business is dictated by demand and capability, we all know guys that run small shops that excel in defined areas, guys that have a skill set that is not taught in books or institutions that they have acquired from their life of experience. But when they go, they are gone and hard to replace or irreplaceable. I had a guy that worked in a little back shop with one machine, a 'Cincinnati Monaset', one thing that was very interesting was his jobs in/out table, there was work there from some of the biggest tooling and manufacturers there for sharpening and repair, you would have thought these large corps would not have even know about this guy,,,but here's what happens in some of these big places, there would still be some old hand in the tool room who knows of these small operators that can do repairs that otherwise would only have been replaced. Thing is,when the old farts have gone so does skill sets not taught but acquired.

For some of us that is going to be our lot in life, we cant train someone to be who we are, and we can't make someone see what we see when looking at a task we are both looking at, no mater how much explanation or direction is given.
We for sure will never be franchised!

Next book,, 'Thunderbolts and Lightning' by Crawford. The story of BSA parallel twins 62 to 73. Then a couple of Susan Greenfield's.

Cheers.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher.

Luke 6:40
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Another good book i would recommend to anyone who cares.

Church in Babylon - by Erwin Lutzer (from my province of Saskatchewan and the retired pastor of the Moody church in Chicago)

and his more current book that i am in the middle of reading : "We will not be silenced"

These are interesting times we live in friends. Every man owes it to himself to consider the path he is on.

Brian
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Just finished 'Don Quixote' by Cervantes, human behavior and custom in some areas has not changed much in four hundred years.

A couple of Greenfield's 'The human brain' and 'Mind Change'.

' Mind Change' is about brain function variation in people born before and after the rapid advancement of the current technological period, which is considered to have expanded post 1996 or so. Born before that, you have been exposed to analog, tactile etc experiences, after that you have grown in a technological age where the computer and its functions is the norm for everything.

Now for Hawking ' A brief history of time'
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

if you like military, steel my soldiers heart , by david hackworth is one of my all time favorites.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Just finished reading " The Gulag Archipelago" by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

I wish everyone in north america would read this book to understand where we are headed if we don't turn back to God.
Currently Canada is training Chinese military in our own country.
Currently Canada is teaching its citizens that the charter of rights and freedoms is void.
Currently Canada is teaching its citizens that compliance is mandatory above all else.
Currently Canada is persecuting Christians and has put 3 of them in jail
Currently Canada is silencing anyone who speaks against their plans to inject the masses with an experimental drug that has already killed over 5000 people in the USA.
Currently the government of Canada is asking doctors and police officers to break their oaths so that they can use them to enforce their agenda.
Currently Canadian media is using fear and lies as propaganda to manipulate a free people into giving up their freedom willfully and submitting to their agenda which may lead to losing your personal property, and your life.

This is what the majority of Canada seems to want ????????????
God help us
Brian
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Finished "The art of war" by Sun Tzu, the original version and then read the same book annotated, 'spirituality and conflict'.

Over half way through " A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson, i'm screwed now, this guy has written an amazing book that covers from the Universe to the Proton, a story [factual] inclusive of what propels current species existence, that's the crux so far, more enlightenment awaits.
Now i have to read the rest of his books.

Cheers.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

To be added to critical reading list:

Free to choose, Milton Freidman
Time on the Cross, Robert Fogel

White Privilege,
Applied Economics,
Race and Culture.
Economic facts and fallacies
, all by Thomas Sowell
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Finished a third version of 'Art of War', this one was by Thomas Cleary, this was the one that i read years ago and for me was the best at describing what Sun Tzu's writings were about. Won't be going near this tome again for a while, brain overload.

Finished Bill Bryson's ' The body, a guide for occupants' nearly finished Bryson's 'Down under' ,, you don't really know how we live [come across] until a person from another land gives a cold perspective,, i think we came across to him like a bunch of happy crackers!,, but his observations were pretty on the money. Have you ever seen yourself in a photo and not recognized yourself? .

Read some Solzhenitsyn years ago, ' A day in the life' and 'Cancer ward' now to revisit with 'Gulag Archipelago'. Looked up Thomas Sowell, he's on the list now, thanks fellas.

Cheers.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Fifty years on the Persig book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is by no means the worst thing you can do with a few spare hours

My copy's long gone, I guess it's time to maybe buy another ......
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Basil Davies [ a layperson] wrote for publications under the name of 'Ixion', he also wrote a book among others called "The fiery wheel", This was just on a hundred years ago, this guy started motor writing in 1903.
I have been trying to buy a copy for some years now. A friend of mine sent me an excerpt that i would have liked to post here, but this section of the forum will not allow it,,needles to say, hundred year old humor is as good as, if not better than anything today. I say this on the observation that today a lot of so called comedians cant tell a straight funny joke without dragging someone or something down, or showing their wokeness like some kind of badge of honor.... So, enough of that.

I finished 'Down under' a good laugh for sure.

On Prairie's suggestion i have started 'Gulag Archipelago' something like 2.5-3k pages [depending on which publisher?] this will bury me for a while. Will say, the depth of mans depravity to man is fathomless.

Cheers.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Finished 'Gulag Archipelago' If it wasn't fact ,it would make a good horror story, Three thousand pages of misery. The only literature i have read longer than this was sections of the 1996 set of SAE handbooks.

Enough of the tomes for a while for now. Going to do some light history for a bit, just read 'Tales of Triumph motorcycles and the Meriden factory' and started 'The man behind the motorcycles, Edward Turner'.

Cheers.