No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Where in the US?

Post by Belgian1979 »

Hi Guys,

I kinda got sick and tired with my country and the EU for a number of reasons.
I'm 51 years old now and have build up enough wealth during my life of hard working to be able to buy a second home. My intention has always been to move out of here as the problems here are already present a since a long time and only seem to be growing.
I'm first going to travel around the world which places suit me best. Not that Europe doesn't have nice place, but it remains Europe, which I want to avoid.
Being a car enthousiast/lover and a fan of modifying cars, how about the gold old US? Is there a place to life which is great, isn't too restrictive as far as the gov goes, and where you don't freeze your butt off in winter or burn your butt away in summer?
I'm not a fan of big cities as I now also live on the country side. In fact, rural is more prefered as my wife ride horses and we keep a number of them here.

Could be that I'm mistaken in the US, so if that is the case, please tell me as well.

Thanks.
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Where in the US?

Post by lefty o »

every state has its ups and downs, but with your criteria likely something in the central midwest. now most of california has nice climate year round, but you would not be getting away from the political issues you are wanting to get away from.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

lefty o wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:55 am every state has its ups and downs, but with your criteria likely something in the central midwest. now most of california has nice climate year round, but you would not be getting away from the political issues you are wanting to get away from.
That's what I've heard a number of times about California.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

I have been lucky enough to have traveled parts of the world and seen them warts and all so to speak, i like to be off the beaten track as much as i can, i found great enjoyment in exploring the back streets of UK, European and Mediterranean cities and towns, in the nineties i did repeated trips to the US involved in racing, and since then have been back a number of times as a tourist and love the place.

The freedoms of a country are not always evident until you want to do something that is covered by their laws, that is the first place i would look if i was going to emigrate on the basis of my own country's laws being so onerous to the point i consider leaving it. If it is motor vehicle laws that are legislating you off the road in your home country, look at those in the place you consider shifting to, It may even be transit laws that annoy you, so same thing, is there a more relaxed transit requirement if that is what you want as a traveling and touring person.

You wouldn't think there is a gauge of freedom for a country on a first visit ,but there is a small one in my view. Every major city we have visited has a hop on hop off, double decker, 'Big Red Bus' or similar that does laps of well trodden routes,, in some country's, if you are on the top level you have to remain seated and not even put your arms up or out of the bus, the operators are constantly reminding you in transit of transgressions , in other country's you can pretty much stand up and wind surf if you want, get smacked by a tree that's your choice, but don't go crying to the bus driver when you have an face full of leaves.

So, Red Bus with the strictest rules? UK, Europe and Asia. Red Bus where you are allowed to get a face full of leaves? The US, the place where you may be able to pluck a twig or two without having the bus stopped and lecture given? Australia,New Zealand and a few places in the Mediterranean.

But under the surface there is a bunch of do gooder's try to legislate us off the road no mater where you are.

Cheers
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

Florida looks like the promised land these days.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Charlotte North Carolina and vicinity. Good weather year round, moderate cost of living, all forms of race tracks nearby and
the state politicians are protective of motorsports since this is the home of NASCAR.
I know what you are dealing with in Europe since I just leased commercial space to a gentleman from Germany and have heard all about the trouble dealing with modified street cars.
Stop by and we will give you a tour of our hobby engine shop and first class dyno facility.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Thanks, I plan on making a trip to the US in 2022. May travel around a few weeks. Also interested in historical places and nature, so let me know.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Stay in touch when the time comes. Also, there are direct flights to Europe from Charlotte.
Greg Finnican
Charlotte, NC
704 408-7356
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Appreciate it Gregory. I'll be in touch.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I always said if I had a chance to move but stay in the midwest I would go to Brownsburg IN.
It's probably a little more zoned now but for decades it looked like if you opened a business all you had to do was hang a sign out...anywhere.
Indy drag strip, race teams and related businesses plus it's minutes to downtown Indy or the 500.

Further south, the Johnson City, Bristol TN area
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Sometimes it might be too late to leave your country. If you are elderly you may have fixed health and pension benefits that applicable only in your country of origin, i am not aware of these being transferable between country's and systems.
The country you intend to emigrate to may also have financial conditions of immigration, I can say for here that you have to have proven income and assets before you can immigrate as the country does not want to take on someone who is about to retire and has nothing to contribute to the country.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

hoodeng wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:14 am Sometimes it might be too late to leave your country. If you are elderly you may have fixed health and pension benefits that applicable only in your country of origin, i am not aware of these being transferable between country's and systems.
The country you intend to emigrate to may also have financial conditions of immigration, I can say for here that you have to have proven income and assets before you can immigrate as the country does not want to take on someone who is about to retire and has nothing to contribute to the country.
I'm aware how strict Australia is in that regard.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Belgian, given time again i would like to have done what you plan to do, my experience of the US was positive in more ways than just freedoms, to the point if i could have convinced the cook i would have been there long ago.

Circumstances and age make that a lost cause, but when travel becomes unfetter i will be back, and with a list to tick off that is as long as a roll of toilet paper. I have done a lot of driving around the US first of with track to track. then a later couple of trips, did the Mississippi bottom to top, parts of the eastern sea board and western.The only places i would not settle would be those that are similar to home. As an ex railway employee i love train travel so next time the Cascades and Trans America are top of the list.

For years now we have heard people knocking the US for various reasons, i have heard more than enough, but i will say when asked if they had been to the US not one of the knockers had been there, and those that had gone had a different view afterwards.
Good luck with you quest mate.

Cheers.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

hoodeng wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:08 pm Belgian, given time again i would like to have done what you plan to do, my experience of the US was positive in more ways than just freedoms, to the point if i could have convinced the cook i would have been there long ago.

Circumstances and age make that a lost cause, but when travel becomes unfetter i will be back, and with a list to tick off that is as long as a roll of toilet paper. I have done a lot of driving around the US first of with track to track. then a later couple of trips, did the Mississippi bottom to top, parts of the eastern sea board and western.The only places i would not settle would be those that are similar to home. As an ex railway employee i love train travel so next time the Cascades and Trans America are top of the list.

For years now we have heard people knocking the US for various reasons, i have heard more than enough, but i will say when asked if they had been to the US not one of the knockers had been there, and those that had gone had a different view afterwards.
Good luck with you quest mate.

Cheers.
Hi Hoodeng,

I know what you say about age and yes the cook is most probably going to be my problem as well.
But things are getting so bad around here ...

Greetz
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

I had a reasonable chance to go to BC just over twenty years ago before I made my life more complicated ..... but freezing my ar$e off for 6 months of the year didn't appeal, despite it being the draw paradoxically

I'm still very much in love with Ca, but if I had my chance over Oregon seems to tick a lot of boxes .... although it's probably a 'grass is greener, rose tinted' kinda deal

The mechanisms behind the EU will ultimately be it's downfall ..... we're mostly out now but like a jilted other, they just won't let go .....