Is anyone part of a 'street' racing crew?

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

BLSTIC
Expert
Expert
Is anyone part of a 'street' racing crew?

Post by BLSTIC »

So I was daydreaming today, things like the show street outlaws, reminiscing about the past, and so on. And it got me thinking that I've never lived in a place that had proper organised street racing.

I mean I've lived in places WITH street racing and sometimes we'd challenge people and run a few races at the meeting spot but it was never properly organised and there were always way too many bystanders for the seriously fast/good guys to come out.

Does that actually happen? Are there places with a top 10? Do you know people who regularly bet on their races?

Do you have a similar thing at your local drag strip?

(I don't have a local drag strip, or any local tarmac racing, otherwise I'd be daydreaming about starting a street car crew going with that)
lefty o
Guru
Guru
Re: Is anyone part of a 'street' racing crew?

Post by lefty o »

ill let you in on a secret, not everything you see on tv is real. 8)
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

I’ve done quite a bit of street racing through the years I live between 3 larger cities in two different states and never seen that type of crap. There’s usually a spot that’s kinda informal hangout for car people races typically get arranged that way and go find a spot. Spectators were always sworn off as it attracts unwanted attention. Watch some 1320 stuff on YouTube there are some out in the country cash days as they’re called but usually struggle to maintain a consistent spot as the police show up. Years back we used a developed industrial area that had yet to have tenants. The buildings helped block the noise and there was no traffic. To be concerned with at the time. These days it’s a lot of roll racing on the interstates
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Most ave people come n go as life these days makes it hard to keep a competitive or even for some a budget car going all the time.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Street Outlaws.LOL. Permanent Press hats and advertising product T shirts... It's a joke, it's choreographed entertainment.
Back in the day, guys just rolled up and most times didn't even know each other. There was no list, there were reputations..
If a smart ass tried to turn up with a race car on a trailer, he was shown the door..You better be road registered and you better be cruising it around.
You run what you brung and you ran all challengers. You took your chances and always played it cool. You let the car do the talking, not you or your buddies mouth.
I'll tell you this, as little as $50 will sort out the real goers from the time wasters.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

Super_Stock wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:36 pm Street Outlaws.LOL. Permanent Press hats and advertising product T shirts... It's a joke, it's choreographed entertainment.
Back in the day, guys just rolled up and most times didn't even know each other. There was no list, there were reputations..
If a smart ass tried to turn up with a race car on a trailer, he was shown the door..You better be road registered and you better be cruising it around.
You run what you brung and you ran all challengers. You took your chances and always played it cool. You let the car do the talking, not you or your buddies mouth.
I'll tell you this, as little as $50 will sort out the real goers from the time wasters.
This is how it used to be. $50 could get a race going too, I remember this.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

When we all raced on the street many years ago I would help some of the faster guys out and then we would bet a few bucks on some races. We won some and lost some. After getting busted a few times I quit street racing. Now all that out there are the WDSR's, who are they you ask?............................................................................................................... Worlds Dumbest Street Racers. :lol:
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Eagle Pass, TX street racing is big money item. Police actually stop traffic on a certain stretch of road, monitor for safety, and police the crowd. Big money made in street radial class. Joe-71
Joe-71
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

Back in the 70's we would race from stop lite to stop lite on the capitol square in Madison wi.the cops would pull you over but I never got a ticket.there was a guy with a mopar,I don't know what was in it,but it was the fastest car there. Used to buy my parts at the local speed shop too bad there all gone now,at least around here.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

Super_Stock wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:36 pm I'll tell you this, as little as $50 will sort out the real goers from the time wasters.
I remember $50 would get it going back in the mid to late 80's in Los Angeles.
Bigchief632
Pro
Pro

Post by Bigchief632 »

In the early 90's we would race every weekend. Most of the "faster" cars ran low 13's. If you had a TRUE 12 second car, that would actually run that on the street, you were tough to beat. Drop the exhaust, and run slicks, on a prepped track, sure, a lot of 12 second cars, and a few in the 11's. I literally remember the guy that ran 10.99 na, he was the first guy to run 10's at the track, and he thought he was KING SHIT.I am talking "street" cars, not race cars, I had a 12.00 car, at the track with open headers on slicks, that would beat most stuff I would come across on the "street". I stopped racing cars, and would race "crotch rockets" I lost twice, out of 100 times. No shit. I raced a GSXR 750 and a FZR 600 once, from a stop lite, both were "modded". At a 140mph at 6800, side by side with the 750, the 600 was 3 blocks back, I said, WTF am I doing and let off, I was just about tapped out anyhow, but the 600, comes flying up a few seconds later, hadn't let off, as I let off, he says, HOLY SHIT DUDE, that thing is FAST!! It must run low 10's. I said no, it runs low 12's, he didn't believe me, and that was short shifting into second almost instantly, not to blow the tires off, and it had the exhaust on it, which was .3 tenths. It probably ran 12.80's like that, with open headers and slicks, instead of BFG radial Ta's, I would have been GONE. A buddy of mine bought a brand new 1990 5.0 mustang that we threw every bolt on part on it you could buy for those at the time, geared it, and the KEY, that no one seemed to understand, was traction. He rarely lost. 5000 rpm, drop the clutch launches, he'd put 4 cars on EVERYTHING instantly. It ran 13.00 at 103. STONE stock long block. He could drive it though, Ronny Sox would have been proud. I did a 406 for a friend of mine that had a 70 Camaro, that ran 11.20's at 122. At the time, that was flying, especially on the street, that thing ran the same with the exhaust or without it, and it hooked hard on the street.

That's when I started to realize, the "magazine" rule of thumb for a "street car" that still holds true, which is DEAD wrong, is, low end tq, you need low end tq for a street car. lol, ok, sure, that's the ticket. Instead of blowing off the tires of in .2 of a millisecond, it takes .4 of a millisecond, lol. I killed tq on purpose, and STOMPED dicks into the ground, while they were peddling it, I was gone, and once the hp kicked in, and theirs fell flat on their face, becasue they had 106 lobe sep, pun intended, I pulled so hard away, they didn't even know what to say.

The fastest guys ran mid 10's on the bottle. I remember in 1992, a guy with a purple 68 Camaro with a bbc with a new at the time big shot plate, ran 9.98 at 133, and the crowd went wild. It boggles my mind that I have pump gas hydraulic roller guys going that fast, or faster na now, and we can make more than pro stock guys made back then on pump gas, and street drive it 2000 miles a summer and drive it to the track.

Personally, I think street racing is dumb now. It's pretty retarded. I also think street outlaws has given drag racing a bad name. Those guys look stupid. Who gives a [DELETE THIS POST], not to mention, it's a scripted bunch of bullshit anyhow. They don't "street" race. It's all scripted bs. Shit, a souped up Tesla Plaid just went 8.79 at 155. Imagine what it takes to beat that? your 69 Chevelle with a 800hp pump gas bbc with a 250 shot is getting smoked on the street by the thing. Fun times.
Maximum power using simple logic and common sense