Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Oil flush, fast or slow?

Post by Circlotron »

One of the cars in our family is a 99 Camry with a 5SFE engine. Had it for about 10 years, currently 184,000km. Had been using cheap oil and changing it every 10,000km / 6000 miles and it was pretty clogged up under the cam cover. Did the head gasket and when it was all apart the entire head and cams got cleaned up spotless. Needless to say, other parts of the engine are likely still pretty ugly. It was recommended that I use a flushing stuff to dissolve all the deposits and then switch to a decent oil with a proper detergent package. Triple the price, but whatever.

My question - if I use the flushing solvent is there a risk that too much gunk could get dissolved all at once and block up things like the oil pickup tube, and if that is the case, would it be better to just go straight to the better oil and let it clean things more gradually?
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: Oil flush, fast or slow?

Post by miniv8 »

I have used diesel fuel for years.
when I am up for an oil change I bring the car in with a fully warm engine, leave it running as I pour about 250ml of diesel in the oil. I let it run for 5 minutes, then shut it off and do my oil change. I've cleaned up some pretty coked up engines this way. Never had any issues.
Of course it takes more than one oil change to get it "clean" this way.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson