Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Reminder

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Reminder

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and your support for H.R. 3281, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

I agree with you that the EPA should not rewrite or regulate climate change policy. The Clean Air Act authorizes the EPA to regulate motor vehicles. In 1990, Congress specifically excluded vehicles “used solely for competition” from the EPA’s control under the Clean Air Act.

One very common practice among competitive car racers is to modify street vehicles into race cars, which are then used at closed race tracks. In 2015, the EPA issued a proposed rule that would make it illegal to convert street vehicles into race cars, claiming that these modifications fall outside of Congress’s Clean Air Act exemption. H.R. 3281 would explicitly state that modified vehicles are outside the scope of EPA regulation, and stop the proposed rule from going into effect.

H.R. 3281 has been referred to the House Committee on Energy & Commerce. As a member of this committee, you can be assured that I will remember your thoughts should I have the opportunity to consider this or relevant legislation in the future. I will also share your thoughts with my House colleagues. I am certain they will benefit from your views.

Sincerely,

Gus M. Bilirakis
Member of Congress
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!