DNA mufflers on a street car

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

henny496

DNA mufflers on a street car

Post by henny496 »

Hello
I have an old vette I am building as a street/strip car.(427 with a Doug Nash 5 speed) Due to the frame design(bracing) I have to run side exhaust
Has anyone used DNA mufflers on the street and if so how are they for noise? I love the noise,, but I don't need extra hassle from the local poice, so I would like to make this as quiet as I can
thanks
Tom
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Re: DNA mufflers on a street car

Post by Dodge Freak »

henny496 wrote: I love the noise,, but I don't need extra hassle from the local poice, so I would like to make this as quiet as I can
thanks
Tom

Notice you are from Ontario Canada, thats where the police like to take your car and drivers licenses :shock:

I have gotten good results by using not 2 but 4 straight flow mufflers. Like a primary and then farther down a secondary. Many new cars are like that too. My car is not loud at all just coasting along but still has a good sound which increases as the throttle opens. Wide open its loud but doesn't carry too far-I think, lol.

It needs a custom bent pipes done at a muffler shop to fit them in.

If I lived where you did, I sell my car :( Maybe they be "cool" with a old Vette but seeing that 75-100 cars are taken every weekend now seems like the cops are going nuts there.
henny496

Post by henny496 »

Thanks for your reply. I will see if I can fit 2 mufflers per side.
The Bill 203 has me quite nervous with the new police abilities> I am watching the news and asking around quite a bit to see if they are going to target Hot Rods. The first of the summer will tell the tale
My car will really stand out...I think I may add a bit more grey to my sideburns.....may help LOL
Tom
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Nope--they took a car away from a guy 82 years old for diving 160 KM/H.

This holiday weekend they are up 150 cars gone. They got 1 kid 17 years old for going 239 KM/H in a 80 KM/H zone. Funny thing is, his new Ford car has a speed cut off of 225 KM/H. I thought they were sometimes getting carried away. You go 140 KM/H and they claim its 160 KM/H.

It doesn't have to be speeding either. Stunt driving they call it. Means popping wheelies on a motorcycle at 30 KM/H. Fishing tailing, smoky burn outs.

They are going after EVERYBODY. Even a police officer mark cop car was seen by the speed airplane and the police arrested another cop for driving too fast...160 KM/H

Guess your car is nice just to coast along a strip and picking up chicks 8)

They make so many mufflers, you can fit them in. Maybe you might need those bullet style mufflers before and even after the main muffler. Like 1 in front were the drivers feet are, then the main factory muffler and then right by the back bumper.

People are dumb. A loud car going 80 KM/H in a 60 KM/H zone seems alot worst than a car making no noise at all going just as fast. Guess you could just get a big stock muffler for a family car but it choke it off more than 2-3 high flow mufflers.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

BTW this is by the GTA--Greater Toronto Area---how it is else were I do not know. I like going to Toronto and the Falls area on holidays so I keep up to date whats going on there.
henny496

Post by henny496 »

Hello
I do live in the outskirts of the GTA. I am quite nervous with the laws and wonder if I can get screwed over someone phoning in a complaint even if I am not breaking any laws......"the car sounds fast" kind of a deal
You have no rights with this new law. Michael Bryant who is the former Attorney General, said we will seize your car in your yard, before it hit's the road if it has a lot of racing parts
He stated that "due to the law of probabilities, you will be racing, if your car is capable of it"
Later it became the 50 km over the posted speed law, when it came into effect, but no one really knows what all is entailed in the new law
I am not in any rush to get out on the road, even if the car was finished completely, especially being the new kid on the block
With 4.56's in the rear and a 10 gallon gas tank, I won't be doing any high speed driving. I can see buzzing it up a bit between gears, but not much
Insurance is another story again
Tom
btw I have to run side exhaust and I only have 40 inches to play with on each side for length
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Post by rustbucket79 »

If this is street and strip, with that cool new seizure law you guys are talking about, I would save my money and put it towards a trailer and make it a strip only car.

Then again, if people are doing burn outs, wheelies, or double/triple the speed limit, they probably deserve to have their car taken, and should spend a couple of days behind bars. I love speed, burnouts and racing, in the confines of the race track.

The 17 yr old doing 239, well he deserves a serious beating and a year in jail to think about what he did wrong.
stealth
Guru
Guru
Post by stealth »

[quote="rustbucket79

if people are doing burn outs, wheelies, or double/triple the speed limit, they probably deserve to have their car taken, and should spend a couple of days behind bars.[/quote] :shock:

I'll bet no one on here has ever done a smokey burnout 8)
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Holy crap!!! I am glad to live in America!!! I can get a lawyer to crucify the wannabe cops!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
henny496

Post by henny496 »

The kid they caught doing 239 km/hr (145 mph) just got his license back from losing it a month ago for the same thing
They apparently impounded over 100 cars this past weekend. If you are doing 130 mph on a busy highway, you should get your car impounded. Unfortunantely, politicians are running with this and trying to classify it all as Street Racing, where it is just speeding
They caught two kids this past winter, ramming their old cars into snow banks and charged them with street racing
I fear they are going to try to blanket the whole thing and reason will go out the window....you are all guilty, because you could be
SEMA has just come up here, so hopefully they will be able to put some reason into this with the Cdn gov't
If this really does get stupid up here and they target Hot Rods rather than just bad drivers, don't be surprised if the same thing is attempted in some of the states
take care
Tom
henny496

Post by henny496 »

I bought the DNA mufflers. Hopefully it is not too loud
I will know when I bark up the car in a month or so
Tom
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re:

Post by pdq67 »

henny496 wrote: Mon May 19, 2008 10:05 pm Hello
I do live in the outskirts of the GTA. I am quite nervous with the laws and wonder if I can get screwed over someone phoning in a complaint even if I am not breaking any laws......"the car sounds fast" kind of a deal
You have no rights with this new law. Michael Bryant who is the former Attorney General, said we will seize your car in your yard, before it hit's the road if it has a lot of racing parts
He stated that "due to the law of probabilities, you will be racing, if your car is capable of it"
Later it became the 50 km over the posted speed law, when it came into effect, but no one really knows what all is entailed in the new law
I am not in any rush to get out on the road, even if the car was finished completely, especially being the new kid on the block
With 4.56's in the rear and a 10 gallon gas tank, I won't be doing any high speed driving. I can see buzzing it up a bit between gears, but not much
Insurance is another story again
Tom
btw I have to run side exhaust and I only have 40 inches to play with on each side for length
40"s, I would see if two WDT smooth perforated inner pipe REAL glass packs would fit down each side. Say a couple of 2.5" or ID" size needed/wanted mufflers AND I have done this because I love their cackle!!

Has to be quieter than a couple of Hog mufflers, imho...

Cut the front one's out pipe off and the back one's in pipe off and weld them together to make one straight through muffler to get them to fit.

pdq67