Found this post on another forum YOU LIKE THIS ONE!

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Tod74
Pro
Pro

Post by Tod74 »

I was in a parts stor that my friend works at just shooting the bull and a guy came in wanting to order a rebuilt head for a 305 chevy...apparently he and a friend were attempting to change a head gasket and left a couple head bolts in that they couldn't see...so they took a crow bar in the intake port ,thinking it was stuck, and ended up pretty much destroying the head trying to remove it.
THIS completely truthfull and accurate account of my horrible experience with a well known wheel company and their pitiful product, is only my opinion.
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=6441
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Tod74 wrote:I was in a parts stor that my friend works at just shooting the bull and a guy came in wanting to order a rebuilt head for a 305 chevy...apparently he and a friend were attempting to change a head gasket and left a couple head bolts in that they couldn't see...so they took a crow bar in the intake port ,thinking it was stuck, and ended up pretty much destroying the head trying to remove it.

Get the cheater bar damit! :lol: :lol: :lol:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
tmoss

Post by tmoss »

is the heat of combustion enough to make the sand into glass - might cut even faster :idea: :wink:
Tom Moss
www.fastlanecars.com
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Don't forget, most shade tree mechanics need that 6 pack of beer to drink while working on their cars. And a good buddy to say.."here, let me try, you aren't pulling hard enough" lol.
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro
Post by Robert Kane »

Lol, these guys are morons! They forgot to mix the sand with water before they ran it through the engine - duh! :shock:
Robert
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

dim lights

Post by Adger Smith »

I had a customer that had one of his beer drinking friends help him save some money. One Friday they left the shop with a 302 Ford engine that was fully machined & ready to put together. On Monday the owner called me and said something was wrong with my work, that the crank was too tight. I ask the usual questions about bearing sizes & crank size markings. Then ask him to bring it in so I could take a look & correct it. His buddy shows up with it and a beer in about an hour. First thing out of his mouth was how sorry my work was. After I danced around with him for a few minutes the owner appeared. Same bad attitude & beer breath. When I finally flipped the block over I noticed that the back main cap wasn't all the way down. I pulled it and noticed they had the thrust bearing hammered in the back main cap & block. I popped it out of the cap & proceeded to show the owner how bent up it was & that it belonged in the center main. Both guys looked at the messed up bearing with dropped jaw & open mouth. I ask the buddy if he had ever put a Ford engine together... You guessed it... He had only "Built" Chevies.. By his own admission he wasn't a "Ford Guy".
New set of main bearings + my labor installing = negative cost savings.
Sad thing is they never offered me a beer for putting up with all their lip. :~)
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
want-a-be

Post by want-a-be »

I had a customer who was doing a conversion on an old truck from straight 6 cyl to 350. He called me about 1am, I'm usually working on the weekends that late to keep up, complaining that I had sold a locked up engine. He hadn't even fired the engine, yet it was locked up. After telling that I had to turn the thing over just to get the pistons in, and run the valves , ect....., I finely said I'd come over to see whats wrong.

When I got there he told me the starter would almost twist off the block when they tried to start it. I crawled under the thing and told em to try it. Sure enough...the started did about twist off the thing. Since I was there, and knowing what kind of clown these guys were, I checked the flex plate bolts. The next question I asked was...did you buy new flywheel bolts for this thing? Yep he did. Are you running a flywheel on this engine, I asked. His smart response was...thats what the torque converter is bolted to!!!!...lol... Then I had to explain the differences are, in my subtle way, between a flywheel and a flex plate. Bolts where hitting the rear main/back of the block.

Guys bottom lip hit the ground quivering, asking if I knew of any short cuts to changing them out. Yep...take the engine back out...

Don
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru
Post by kirkwoodken »

I had more than one "Old Timer" tell me that a little BonAmi down the carb would "seat the rings".
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
larryjo

Post by larryjo »

This really did happen!!!!

It all started like a normal phone call from a customer asking for a quote on prices.
The customer was asking how much we charged to clean & bore a v8 block. After answering the usual barrage of questions and quoting prices for at least the third time, the customer said something that threw up a red flag.

“Well I’ll go dig the block up and bring it over”

At first I thought that he needed a block so I offered to sell him one. This is where things started getting a little bit weird.

“Oh I’ve got a real good block, I’ll just have to dig it up, I’ve buried it in the back yard.”

“YOU DID WHAT!?”

“ I buried it in the back yard”

“WHY?”

“Well I heard that burying a block in the ground was a good way to season it..... So how much did you say it would be to bore it? “

“Well that depends on how rusted it is and if it can be cleaned up enough to bore..... You did protect the lifter bores and the main bores and all of the machined surfaces didn’t you?”

“Well no, but it should be ok, the crank, cam, and lifters are still in the block. I just pulled the heads and oil pan and buried the block.“

” How long has it been buried”

“About a year, do you think that’s long enough?”.

(At first I thought he was joking but by this time I had figured out that this guy was serious and instead of playing a joke on me he was just an IDIOT.)

“Why don’t you just bring it on over and let us check it out.”
”OK, I’ll bring it over tomorrow, thanks”

This guy has been in he shop several times since, but he never brought his seasoned block in to have it bored, nor has he even mentioned it. I guess he found out what really happens when you bury a block in the ground for over a year, or maybe he couldn’t remember where he buried it.

Now I may have missed something along the way and this may be an old or even a new technique that I haven’t heard of yet. If so will someone let me know cause I’ve got about 5 acres out back of the shop that’s going to waste.
frtlnrbuick

WHo needs oil

Post by frtlnrbuick »

MrWOT wrote:...My own brother, doesn't seem to believe me that he is in mortal peril by merely adding oil to the engine when the oil pressure warning comes on, instead of getting his oil changed regularly... I'll miss him when the engine seizes at 70mph on the freeway :(
Years ago, I had a Chevy II with the 230 I6 that I ran like this for two years. Actually, that motor would lose oil pressure, bleed the lifters down and stop running.

I would add a quart (or two depending on how generous I was feeling) and it would crank up and run fine.

Went through 6 quarts (two more than I had with me) on a 130 mile trip one day. I was trying to keep up with the boss at 70mph. Just lucky enough to have it stop where I could coast into a filling station.

I sold the car to a buddy, who knew what I was doing, and he did the same for at least a year. Don't know after that??? :wink:

Of course, I have an Engineer friend that didn't bother to change the oil in his new mini-van until the engine seized....Thought those guys were smarter than that. :roll:

Jim
Jim Gibson
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

My brother seized two motors with no oil. The first one the oil filter leak and he kept driving cause it was just a few mins to home and a few years later--the car he got to replace the car he ruined by driving it with no oil--was leaking oil a little and he forgot to keep it top up...again he drove it till the motor seized...this time it was to work and he did just almost make it...it stop while he was turning in the parking lot.

He is better now and does keep fresh oil in them and checks the oil level....some people just need to learn the hard way I guess.

Today many new cars have oil level lights too. I guess theres many folks out there like my brother :lol:
jake197000
Expert
Expert
Re: Found this post on another forum YOU LIKE THIS ONE!

Post by jake197000 »

remember when they said pour bonami down the carb,ive used atf to clean carbon out before seems to help somr
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

People may laugh at the Bon Ami story but I personally watched Smokey Yunick dust Bon Ami down the carburetor of a Pontiac in the garage at the 64 Daytona 500 race to seat the rings
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

I personally watched Smokey Yunick dust Bon Ami down the carb of a Pontiac race car at the 64 Daytona 500 to seat the rings. People may call BS on it but its a true story
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

i have had that so many times , ou show them the shit some one done then they defend them by saying he is an expert in another brand

too many stories

a mechanic rang one of my guys from a large dealership , merc audi , said hey have an oil light on after they serviced it , greg recomended an oil pressure test , 20min later the mechanic arrived in the car with the oil light on , they had no tool and theres no place to hook it up so you must have a different tool , please test

one of they guy i put alot of effort into , as he was going places and proved himself globaly , but never realy spoke since , dealers swollowed him up , he is out on his own now , but a neighbour of his who could'nt get him to do it at the time , subaru ej20 , now he would have only assisted in engine here and only ever build std since , i built a ej20 with the avcs heads high comp and i modify alot of little things , mainly oil gallries , but it seams he wants to see what i am doing so he said to the customer with the engine having never being fitted that in his opnion its built wrong , and he wants to strip it , i hear now that he has recomended it go back to std heads and theres no way to make them work ,

built an engine guy comes 2 yrs later , long drive , its drinking oil , put it on the lift , sure enough it is , theres under 1lit of oil in it , turbo shit itself , so we had one on the shelf and get him sorted , he then askes ging out the door , he is thinking of selling it and needs aperwork on the warrenty of the engine

one guy i worked with , should never be in the trade , went out on his own , had a bmw 316 , use to die every so often , he discovered [ no idea how ] that if he took an ignition lead off put a earth straigh into it and then it would start , he managed to sell it , for top dollar after explaining to the new owner how to do this when it died

i ripped an engine , built by another shop , bastardised , they went in to the head with a non furious head to gouge out the head , i felt so bad for the customer , so i rang the shop as i knew the owner asked him to grab they guy who told him he could port & polish [ the ower knew nothing about cars but had money ] so while the owner was listening i asked him to shove the guys 2 hand up hos arse and then weld them in place so he dose no more harm [ the owner laughed ]

i dont mind the public messin gup so much , i think its good to seeany young lad having an intrest , an probally help them more than i should , but its the professionals , i may have posted it somewhere before , but there was a car built by a guy in a machine shop , the owner known as loose bore , [ and on a side track , my guy sent a block with oe pistons to bore , it came back he put it up on the stand and went through the boxes , the pistons werein the boxes , and he had to haev a moment , there were 6 pistons in the block and 6 in boxes , but it was bored to the non oe ones , so he rang and asked , did he not see the large box , he said ya but we have better luck with our own , ]
so back to his apprentice , built an engine , got another shop to fit liners , alloy block ,[ long story short ] he blamed the liners , skimmed the block , blamed the head studs changed 3 brand still loosing head gaskets under boost [ low boost ] skimmed the had several times , blamed gaskets , but in short the head was off 11 times , the dyno opperator got that fed up he lifted the haed himself , spent a number of hrs looking , dowels were missing , never told the muppet so he went around bragging that oe head bolts sorted it

id say the guy burring the block was watching the old f1 videos drinking beer , where they seasoned blocks out in the rain and all the staff were roumered to take a leak on them [ bmw ]

at the moment i have a subaru wher i sold a mechanic an sti engine to fit , he plauged me to wire it in , he came back and booked a date and said it must be a different block ej20 [ twin to single turbo ] as the starter wont fit , i laid the law down , so the car was delivered and he said the clutch wont work , but sur you can drop the box

i usally find wiring the best , and you can always tell an electrical has being at it , had a honda recently , full wire tuck , earths are obviouslly an optional extra , is all i can say