Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine Masters 2019

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Mummert wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:50 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:45 am
Mummert wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:16 am Was trying to edit kept quoting, hopefully moderator can delete
I have done quite a bit of Super Stock iron Cleveland stuff and they have a lot of braze in them.

I have had the CNC program run with no braze in the heads and it didn't cut in a lot of places but, the flow dropped a little but, power differences were negligible.
In reality, the braze was there simply to satisfy the port CC requirement of Super Stock.
So you would only fill the heads in Super Stock situation?
Not really ... in a different application, because I could use epoxy on the intakes, I would probably fill them some to increase the velocity, (unless of course it was illegal by rules), but, I would refrain from the cost of having the exhaust ports brazed.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:08 pm
Mummert wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:50 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:45 am

I have done quite a bit of Super Stock iron Cleveland stuff and they have a lot of braze in them.

I have had the CNC program run with no braze in the heads and it didn't cut in a lot of places but, the flow dropped a little but, power differences were negligible.
In reality, the braze was there simply to satisfy the port CC requirement of Super Stock.
So you would only fill the heads in Super Stock situation?
Not really ... in a different application, because I could use epoxy in the intake ports, I would probably fill them some to increase the velocity, (unless of course it was illegal by rules), but, I would refrain from the cost of having the exhaust ports brazed.
DanE1

Post by DanE1 »

My point was------ If the cut off year was 1969, it would be a different contest.
DanE1

Post by DanE1 »

DanE1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:54 pm My point was------ If the cut off year was 1969, it would be a different contest, and people would not be saying that the big block chevy is a shoo-in.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I hear you. Not being familiar with all of Chevy's hi perf castings, I dont know that rectangle port heads are legal. Didn't many of them have Hi Perf cast into the valve cover area?
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Mummert wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:13 pm I hear you. Not being familiar with all of Chevy's hi perf castings, I dont know that rectangle port heads are legal. Didn't many of them have Hi Perf cast into the valve cover area?
I don't think having Hi Perf cast into them would render them illegal but maybe. The rules how I interpret them would exclude "one off or limited production run" castings. In my case a 440 Mopar - I could not use a MAX Wedge casting or a W2 casting for a small block. Hope I read that right. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I'm not sure either. They refer to "Passenger car" and "Hi Performance" and Stock Eliminator. I think its a throw a bunch of stuff out there and see who yells the loudest. Having fun with the 302 Ford, and fun is what its about for me. It'll get serious soon enough.
Mummert Y-blocks
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

I asked about entering a 221" Windsor and the next thing I saw was a 250" minimum!
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I don't think I've ever seen a 221. I know they existed. 1-2 years only? We kept the 260 block out the comet for a while and finally tossed it some years back. I thought about putting 3.400 crank in it and having pistons made. Then I had the (why would you complicate simplicity for a street car) moment, the 5 bolt bell housing was going to make the 5-speed tougher to do etc.
Mummert Y-blocks
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Mummert wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:37 pmWe kept the 260 block out the comet for a while and finally tossed it some years back. . . . . the 5 bolt bell housing was going to make the 5-speed tougher to do etc.
And somewhere, right at this moment, someone restoring a Sunbeam Tiger is lamenting because he can't find a 260" anywhere.

jack vines, who in 1972 swapped out the 260" for a built 302".
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I'm geussing you tossed your 260 as well #-o ?
Mummert Y-blocks
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Mummert wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:59 pm I'm geussing you tossed your 260 as well #-o ?
This is super-relevant EMC talk J
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Has ANYONE gotten an answer to their questions back from EMC? It is getting rather late in the year for ordering parts and getting backordered parts in time to do any real dyno testing.
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Joe-71 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:24 pm Has ANYONE gotten an answer to their questions back from EMC? It is getting rather late in the year for ordering parts and getting backordered parts in time to do any real dyno testing.
The people I talk with are not spending a dime until there is an acceptance list for contestants.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Joe-71 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:24 pm Has ANYONE gotten an answer to their questions back from EMC? It is getting rather late in the year for ordering parts and getting backordered parts in time to do any real dyno testing.
No, my camshaft question has gone unanswered
Mummert Y-blocks