Engine Masters 2019

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Mummert
Expert
Expert

Re: Engine Masters 2019

Post by Mummert »

Found some 15* tulip LS exhaust valves from ferrea so that is a step forward for me.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Carroll
Pro
Pro

Post by Carroll »

Anyone building a SB Chevy for early iron this year. JC
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 pm Anyone building a SB Chevy for early iron this year. JC
Yep ... Adney Brown has entered with a 327/275 from 1966.
461X heads certainly have some thick walls.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Ted

Post by Ted »

No secrets on our end. Joe Craine and I are slowly getting parts together for our Y-Block entry. It is based off of a 292 and not a 312. The 312 main sizing has been a proven detriment in making power so the smaller mained 292 it is. Finding a good pair cylinder heads has been challenging. I've lost track how many oem cylinder heads have hit the scrap iron pile at this point simply due to them being either used up, cracked, or simply too thin to port heavily. I started this project with a healthy stack of 'G' and '113' heads and that has dwindled down to essentially nothing. Joe has been working over those heads that have been usable and we now have at least three decent pair to work off of. We did take advantage of the discount offered by JE Pistons for EMC participants. Every little bit helps at this point. Ted Eaton.
Ted Eaton
czar racing

Post by czar racing »

Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 pm Anyone building a SB Chevy for early iron this year. JC
I am also entering a 327 SBC this year.

Chris
Carroll
Pro
Pro

Post by Carroll »

How’s the engine coming along Chris. I always like to see the little motors do well. JC
czar racing

Post by czar racing »

Well, it seems like it is moving along better this year than in previous years. I have most of my parts in and my cylinder heads are sorted out. I had some issues with my 1st block and had to chase down a replacement. The replacement has more bore than I originally wanted but it will get the job done so ill tack on a few cubic inches.. haha. I should have it together by mid-end of August so I can get it on the dyno. I work full time so I am trying to squeeze it in around my schedule. Fortunately I work at Late Model Engines and have an entire machine shop at my disposal and what we lack I have been able to use the equipment over at SAM Tech to accomplish. I think it should perform well though.

Chris
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Its crunch time! Anyone makin' headway out there. I've been battling some things but starting to get though it. Hope to have the engine running in the next couple of days. Hope I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten fired up yet. :|
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Mummert wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:32 pm Its crunch time! Anyone makin' headway out there. I've been battling some things but starting to get though it. Hope to have the engine running in the next couple of days. Hope I'm not the only one who hasn't gotten fired up yet. :|
If this is gonna be like past contests, contestants seem to wait till after Labor Day to begin running & tuning on their engine; which was mostly assembled weeks before then.
#-o
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Honed my O So Thin Chevy block tonight. Even at .010 over Std, it is scary thin between 3 cylinders. I am 2 weeks away, have almost all the parts but have to work during the day just like everybody else. Anyone else running?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

JonKaase wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm Honed my O So Thin Chevy block tonight. Even at .010 over Std, it is scary thin between 3 cylinders. I am 2 weeks away, have almost all the parts but have to work during the day just like everybody else. Anyone else running?
Adney's engine is completely ready to run but, hasn't yet.
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Finished pistons/ compression today and got the shortblock together. A little headwork and should be ready end of this week.
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

Won’t need much testing this year. No extra parts and nothing to try. Just get the jets right and the timing
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

JonKaase wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:12 pm Won’t need much testing this year. No extra parts and nothing to try. Just get the jets right and the timing
There's a whole lot of intake manifolds for a big block Chevy, many carb spacers and headers, too.

Depends upon how much time and money you wish to outlay in order to flog it all.

You are being like the rest of us now ... picking an end combination and tuning that combination as best you can [-o<
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I have a couple pieces to try that friends lent me, but nothing like the big dreams I had at the start of this deal. The time spent on the little things can sure make the days go by.
Mummert Y-blocks