Engine Masters 2019

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

makin chips
Pro
Pro
Re: Engine Masters 2019

Post by makin chips »

I'm just glad to see this much interest in EMC this year. Good luck to ALL of you guys!
blizzardND

Post by blizzardND »

Jon Kaase, I tried to contact you before the registration cut off, as I own a virgin ASK 351 Cleveland Block, cast in yes.. 1968! it would have been a great way to slide past their pre-1969 (lets keep the canted valve Boss 302/351 out) rule.

Oh well, water under the bridge. but oh the fun that could have been. 8)
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

blizzardND wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:11 am Jon Kaase, I tried to contact you before the registration cut off, as I own a virgin ASK 351 Cleveland Block, cast in yes.. 1968! it would have been a great way to slide past their pre-1969 (lets keep the canted valve Boss 302/351 out) rule.

Oh well, water under the bridge. but oh the fun that could have been.
Short answer - no way, no how, that's never gonna fly.
[/quote]
Any 1968 and earlier domestic OEM passenger car . . . cast iron block
The Rules and regulations may be amended from time to time at them sole discretion of MotorTrend Group, If you have a question regarding a rule we highly recommend you contact our Rules Committee.
jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

blizzardND wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:11 am Jon Kaase, I tried to contact you before the registration cut off, as I own a virgin ASK 351 Cleveland Block, cast in yes.. 1968! it would have been a great way to slide past their pre-1969 (lets keep the canted valve Boss 302/351 out) rule.

Oh well, water under the bridge. but oh the fun that could have been. 8)
There is really nothing to do with part casting date codes in the rules ... as has been somewhat pointed out ... merely that the engine combination entered must have been readily available in an O.E.M. American production car from 1968 or before.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Anyone have an idea of how many entrants they trying get in the different classes?
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Just received an e-mail that was extending the LS class entry date, LS only. Apparently not enough LS entrants to fill one days testing.
Joe-71
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Strange, I figured it would be Coyote, a couple of years ago they didn't get any entries for the coyote class and scratched it.
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Mummert wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 pm Strange, I figured it would be Coyote, a couple of years ago they didn't get any entries for the coyote class and scratched it.
Wasn't there a projected 4th class, too?
I can't find it now but, I thought there was one listed at a some time.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

https://www.hotrod.com/events/engine-masters-challenge/ Yes, there is supposed to be four classes. However, they do not even list the Coyote class, or the Young Builders class, now. Wonder if they even had an application for those classes?
Joe-71
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

After reading the rules a bit I keep going back to the headers needing to have collectors finished smooth, no flanges. Are we going to able to use some extensions off the flanges to get to smooth, or do we have to cut the flanges off. It seems odd to me, but aren't most of the "passenger car" headers built with some form of collector attachment.
Mummert Y-blocks
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Mummert wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 am After reading the rules a bit I keep going back to the headers needing to have collectors finished smooth, no flanges. Are we going to able to use some extensions off the flanges to get to smooth, or do we have to cut the flanges off. It seems odd to me, but aren't most of the "passenger car" headers built with some form of collector attachment.
A simple adapter to the header flange just like you were going to add an exhaust system that is 3" in diameter is needed, and the distance behind the crankshaft flange was ~21" last year.
Joe-71
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Mummert wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 am After reading the rules a bit I keep going back to the headers needing to have collectors finished smooth, no flanges. Are we going to able to use some extensions off the flanges to get to smooth, or do we have to cut the flanges off. It seems odd to me, but aren't most of the "passenger car" headers built with some form of collector attachment.
Most small blocks are going to need to do some sort of adapting at the ending of the headers to expand to their required 3 1/2" to 4" connector to their dyno exhaust; unless they have changed it.
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

I'm bummed, I totally blanked it and missed the submission date. I would have liked to enter a 440 Chrysler with some 1967 '915 heads that I have. I wonder if they would accept me for the alternate list if I submit anyways. The EMC at JE pistons is a great event and I would hate to miss out. J.Rob

p.s. Wanted to add--With the 3.5" minimum collector rule I think a larger cubic inch will do better.
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I'll have to to read further but I don't think smaller engines will have to run 3.5" collectors, they might have to adapt up to a larger size.

All this Cleveland talk back and forth is interesting, with the head mods being what they are this year I just haven't looked at them as a big threat.

It would be curious to hear what experienced Cleveland builders thought they could get out of 360ish ci, 10.5:1 engines with no filling welding etc.

The Cleveland geometry certainly has advantages, I've seen some highly modified stuff over the years, even some of the c302b prototypes with the iron

ports filled solid with aluminum at a foundry and reported with the venturi reduced intake seats. Seen some heads with the exhaust port plates, seen

some with chambers brazed up and reshaped and so on.

The Aussie Cleveland are neat but the intake ssr leaves something to be desired. I'm sure that plenty of people will heckle me when I say the American

Cleveland 2 barrel probably has one of the best exhaust ports I've seen. Purely from the concept of high outward flow and good anti reversion qualities.

Everyone says they turned floor down to help fit the engines cars but I don't personally believe that is what they were trying to accomplish.

Maybe this will stir up some conversation. :lol:
Mummert Y-blocks
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Moot point. No Clevelands allowed. Boss 302 1969, 351C came in 1970 model year vehicles.
Joe-71