Engine Masters 2019

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Mummert
Expert
Expert

Re: Engine Masters 2019

Post by Mummert »

Got over the first hump today. Ran the motor in and made a couple of pulls. Pk Tq and Hp look good but the bottom end needs a little work. Its somewhere to start :) .
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I wonder when they are going to send people information about some kind of dyno run schedule ...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Were supposed to be getting something in the mail anyday.
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Everybody must be thrashing away, its pretty quiet around here. Trying to hit the dyno one last time Friday. Thought my journey came to an end last week. Got it short blocked, should have a new oil pickup Tuesday, hopefully with a flat flange this time.
Mummert Y-blocks
JonKaase
Pro
Pro

Post by JonKaase »

I would most are working on EMC this weekend. I am mostly done. Which means I can’t get it any better. I am disappointed with the peak power and TQ but these are the most restricted rules in all the years I’ve competed.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

JonKaase wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm I would most are working on EMC this weekend. I am mostly done. Which means I can’t get it any better. I am disappointed with the peak power and TQ but these are the most restricted rules in all the years I’ve competed.
I would bet that this will be the closest contest from 1 through 10, there has ever been in the Engine Masters Competition.
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

This has been a frustrating build this year, to say the least. We are still waiting on a couple of camshafts that were ordered months ago. Now we don't have time to actually try them if they arrived tomorrow. Very glad we had one custom ground several months ago by Mike Jones. Eaton/Craine

Joe-JDC
Joe-71
RAMM
Expert
Expert

Post by RAMM »

Does anyone have a idea of how the purse was paid out? It was supposed to be something g like 60k total. J.Rob
New and improved website under construction.Check the blog for relevant info
http://skmfxengines.blogspot.com/
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

RAMM wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:02 am Does anyone have a idea of how the purse was paid out? It was supposed to be something g like 60k total. J.Rob
I think that was before 2 of the classes got dropped from the competition.
I witnessed 35K ... 15K to the Early iron winner and 20k to the LS winner.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

exhaustgases wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:42 pm
JonKaase wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 pm I would most are working on EMC this weekend. I am mostly done. Which means I can’t get it any better. I am disappointed with the peak power and TQ but these are the most restricted rules in all the years I’ve competed.
Yes such a shame to have extreme rule restrictions, makes me think of other motor sports like F1, its like encouraging anti engineering.
It becomes a huge blockade in developing new ideas, like some of the great things you have come up with. Also takes the fun out of the competition I think. And it also keeps some really good people from joining in as well. They really need to change the name of that contest.
OTOH, look at the point spread. In most restricted classes the competition is very close. The Early Iron class had maybe a 20% spread from lowest score to highest; quite a differential. It would seem some creativity being exhibited there.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

Yes such a shame to have extreme rule restrictions, makes me think of other motor sports like F1, its like encouraging anti engineering.
It becomes a huge blockade in developing new ideas, like some of the great things you have come up with. Also takes the fun out of the competition I think. And it also keeps some really good people from joining in as well. They really need to change the name of that contest.
That is why we started www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

PackardV8 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:42 am
OTOH, look at the point spread. In most restricted classes the competition is very close. The Early Iron class had maybe a 20% spread from lowest score to highest; quite a differential. It would seem some creativity being exhibited there.
You think creatively was the reason FOR the huge point spread?

In previous years where the rules allowed more creativity, the scores were way closer, and obviously made for a more exciting closer field and final finish.

This is like restrictor plate racing, yet the unintended outcome was a spread from top to bottom of hundreds of points. Definitely not the closest top ten ever liked someone predicted.

One year I competed the points spread between 2nd and 8th was only 59 points... that's tight. The top ten were only 163 points apart.

You would have thought even with the ability to choose your RPM range this year,it would have closed up the competition? It didn't

Remove creativity and you remove the true thinking that creates close competition

Look what also happened in the LS class,, you had only one specific engine allowed, and pretty much one specific cubic inch,, 440. No divider allowed for other displacements...not much of anything allowed except build it like that.
With a catalogued header, no welding or filling of the ports......and they called it "extreme"?

So you end up with just two showing up, with one of the most popular engines today with aftermarket parts galore , the LS ,and you had a 50 50 chance of winning.....hahaha.
JC565Ford
Expert
Expert

Post by JC565Ford »

In reading and interpreting the rules of the Early Iron class this year I don't think anyone was thinking "innovation".

The rules were written to see what Today's builders (with their knowledge) could get out of Early Iron from yesteryear using the parts and equipment they grew up with. Was it restrictive, Damn right it was. Did it make you think and be creative ... If you think the answer is "No", I'd tell you to sit with Mummert for an hour or two and have a "bench racing" secession with him.

If those who drafted the rules actually want to see what "Early Iron" cast iron are capable of then write the rules next year to include 69-71 Production Domestic engines .... IE: Boss 302's, 429SCJ, Boss 429, Boss 351.

And speaking of this years rules ... You just might be surprised where the little 289 found 42 pts in it's score. Quite by accident actually. :shock:
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

JC565Ford wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:17 pm In reading and interpreting the rules of the Early Iron class this year I don't think anyone was thinking "innovation".

The rules were written to see what Today's builders (with their knowledge) could get out of Early Iron from yesteryear using the parts and equipment they grew up with. Was it restrictive, Damn right it was. Did it make you think and be creative ... If you think the answer is "No", I'd tell you to sit with Mummert for an hour or two and have a "bench racing" secession with him.

If those who drafted the rules actually want to see what "Early Iron" cast iron are capable of then write the rules next year to include 69-71 Production Domestic engines .... IE: Boss 302's, 429SCJ, Boss 429, Boss 351.

And speaking of this years rules ... You just might be surprised where the little 289 found 42 pts in it's score. Quite by accident actually. :shock:

Well don't be greedy! Share the info lol :D Where'd they find 42 points?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING